A thought on the design of Fallout Tactics PA helmet.

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by Ave-H, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Ave-H

Ave-H First time out of the vault

Nov 20, 2009
    Perhaps it was a lack of resources and means to create the poly-laminate composites the suits we're made from. They did only bring what they could carry from the military base and what was in the bunker before they expanded it. Years of scavenging, trading and wiping out raiders. Going out to push back and destroy as much of the Master's Army as possible. Them playing a smaller role in the wastes before finding out about the Enclave. Helping the NCR take Navarro before them getting into an all out war. All that has probably strained what parts they had on hand and forced them to use different resources for new suits.

2. TorontoReign

TorontoReign ⛧卐⛧ Staff Member Moderator [REDACTED]

Apr 1, 2005
    In the army if we did not have the supply line to fix the vehicles they would go down within a few months. I find the entire setting to be too unrealistic these days to even bother wondering about shit like this but Tactics was mentioned so here I am. I mean they are walking around with nuclear reactors strapped to them they have cancer and are going to die.

3. Hardboiled Android

Hardboiled Android Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 7, 2015
    There's a really big difference between keeping, say, an F35 running and completely rebuilding an F35 from scratch. THere's a reason that other countries can purchase advance fighter jets btu can't build their own and it ain't just copyright law

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  4. TorontoReign

Apr 1, 2005
    And I still say those armors are not built from scratch because that is retarded.

5. Ave-H

Nov 20, 2009
    You don't get cancer in Fallout, you turn into a shambling ghoul or an irradiated corpse not even the carrion eaters want to touch. :V
    Off the top of my head I really can't recall any suits of power armor being built from scratch. All the suits we're either prototypes of suits that already existed, suits assembled from blueprints or the suit was the culmination of years of R&D. The most advanced bits of power armor are probably it's power supply and the composites that make up the armor pieces.
    I also had a thought pop up about the FoTPA helmet, if it's design wasn't created solely via tribal influence, it could have been the idea of the brotherhood members themselves. That whole psychological warfare deal and whatnot.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  6. Risewild

Risewild Antediluvian as Feck
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    I will, right here and now, come up with a reason why FO:T power armors have those "horns".

Those "horns" are antennas for the radios that are installed on the Power Armor helmets (that I just made up). The BoS on FO:T is way more like an organized military organization than the classic Fallout games BoS, so they use helmet radios.

There. Risewild, saving Headcanon and Lore since *insert some random year here*.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 4
  7. Proletären

Proletären Vault Fossil
    Staff Member Admin

Mar 15, 2012
    The Power Armors in Fallout should work in pretty much the same way as the ones described in Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. And those have radios, naturally.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  8. Alphons

Alphons National Beholder

Aug 9, 2017
    Now that you mention it, Barnaky and Dekker contact you on the missions with debriefs and updates.

Other Fallout protagonists have to haul their asses back to questgiver, while Warrior just calls them.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 4
  9. Ave-H

Nov 20, 2009
    I didn't even think about that, you do get updates and debriefs. Probably what they are then, feeds the transmission right into the Pip-Boy.

10. TorontoReign

Apr 1, 2005
    You mean you guys did not think they used radios in their helmets?

11. Ave-H

Nov 20, 2009
    I did, just glossed over that bit when thinking about the helmet design.

12. Proletären

Proletären Vault Fossil
    Staff Member Admin

Mar 15, 2012
    I found some quotes about the armor from the developers that are interesting:

13. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Carbon Dated and Proud

Nov 26, 2007
    Except the BOS were not able to design power armor; AFAIK the suits were salvaged.

14. Iprovidelittlepianos

Iprovidelittlepianos A Smooth-Skin

May 12, 2020
    I think they were capable of making minor aesthetic changes to existing suits.

15. cronicler

cronicler Lurksalot

May 31, 2006
    Personally, I chalked up the changes to the environmental factors which included salvage available; Even in modern armies with mostly standardized equipment, there are less common options for units in certain environments; like most soldiers using Advanced Combat Helmets but those on Ships being issued Lightweight Helmets.
    FO:T helmets could be the scout or mechanized variant helmets with additional specific sensor and comm. packages.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1