ActionTrip interviews Gavin Carter

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Bethesda producer Gavin Carter was interviewed by ActionTrip:<blockquote> AT: As we understand, the team is also keeping itself busy with balancing combat in the game. If you can, please tell us about the advantages of V.A.T.S. Do you think hardcore RPG fans will enjoy the cinematic aspect of it?

GC: A big advantage is that during VATS mode, time is paused and you’re given a wealth of information about your situation. Every targetable enemy and object is highlighted and you can pan around and get a sense for where things are coming from. For each individual target, you can see their overall health, and the condition and the likelihood of landing a shot for each body part. This is the part that I feel separates VATS from standard “real-time with pause” systems in that it gives you information to base a tactical choice on. You may find that you have a high chance to hit a mutant’s torso, but then you notice that landing one more risky shot to the arm will cripple him, severely reducing his ability to aim. Recently I’ve been replaying Oblivion and find myself hammering the VATS button unconsciously whenever I get jumped by an enemy.

The other advantage to VATS is, of course, that it’s just pure unadulterated fun. Landing a shot to a mutant’s head, watching it fly apart in slow-motion, having an eyeball go spinning past the camera - there’s just some kind of visceral satisfaction that the experience brings.
(...)
AT: Can you give our readers some idea of what kind of soundtrack you’re working on?

GC: The soundtrack really varies a lot in style depending on what situation you’re in. For exploring, the music is more of an ambient and slightly discordant nature similar to the music of Fallout 1 and 2. In battles, the music is more up-tempo and brings in more percussion and some orchestral elements. We also have music for places like dungeons (think old caves and abandoned vaults), and a special set of music for some of the more important locations in the game. We pushed our composer to experiment with a lot of different styles and instruments to keep the music interesting throughout the game.</blockquote>Link: Fallout 3 interview at ActionTrip.

Thanks Briosafreak.

Gavin Carter said:
AT: Can you give our readers some idea of what kind of soundtrack you’re working on?

In battles, the music is more up-tempo and brings in more percussion and some orchestral elements. We also have music for places like dungeons (think old caves and abandoned vaults), and a special set of music for some of the more important locations in the game. We pushed our composer to experiment with a lot of different styles and instruments to keep the music interesting throughout the game.</blockquote>

Good to see mainstream companies considering the usage of black metal in their games.

Nevermore said:
Gavin Carter said:

In battles, the music is more up-tempo and brings in more percussion and some orchestral elements. We also have music for places like dungeons (think old caves and abandoned vaults), and a special set of music for some of the more important locations in the game. We pushed our composer to experiment with a lot of different styles and instruments to keep the music interesting throughout the game.</blockquote>

Good to see mainstream companies considering the usage of black metal in their games.

That means no ambient music, only upbeat, dreary music!

While exploring music should be like F1 and F2 - Good

Battle music is epic - Bad!!!

Fallout stories are epic in character but the game never lets you really feel it. It kicks you in the nuts as a matter of fact. Epic music is for FRP games and hero tales. But chances for Bethesda to realize that are zero :(

Pipboy2000 said:
Nevermore said:
Gavin Carter said:

That means no ambient music, only upbeat, dreary music!

Sounds perfect. I bet Ihsahn is working on it as we speak!

GC: In addition, we have a new category of quests that we term "freeform encounters." As you travel, you'll come across these encounters all over. They're not as big as a full quest, but they will present choices, opportunities for reward, interesting sights and sounds, and more.

I'm guessing this will be the engine for random/easter egg encounters...

GC: Giving you a specific number wouldn't paint an accurate picture. Each quest has multiple paths to completion, and how you choose to complete one quest can affect what quests are available later on.
Translation: Not Many (VO is expensive and limits space!).

In addition, we have a new category of quests that we term "freeform encounters." As you travel, you'll come across these encounters all over. They're not as big as a full quest, but they will present choices, opportunities for reward, interesting sights and sounds, and more. It should be quite some time before you run out of things to do in Fallout 3, and there will always be more to hit when you play through it again.

Dude, they're called ‘Random Encounters’ and no, you didn't invent them.

'Freeform Encounters' indeed. Goes well with the VATS isn't RTwP.

Other quests run the gamut of possibilities that a war-ravaged wasteland offers up. For each quest, we try and provide opportunities for as wide a range of playstyles as we're able (Stealth Boy, Combat Boy, Science Boy, etc).

The mention of Science Boy is nice, I just hope it's more then stupid mini-games.

Carter said:
The other advantage to VATS is, of course, that it’s just pure unadulterated fun. Landing a shot to a mutant’s head, watching it fly apart in slow-motion, having an eyeball go spinning past the camera - there’s just some kind of visceral satisfaction that the experience brings.
(...)

The kind that is best saved for a game such as Unreal Tournament.

Nevermore said:
I bet Ihsahn is working on it as we speak!

Ihsan's Shade?

The Duke said:
Recently I’ve been replaying Oblivion and find myself hammering the VATS button unconsciously whenever I get jumped by an enemy.

WTF?!?

"Subconsciously" would probably have been a little clearer there.

Brother None said:
GC: A big advantage is that during VATS mode, time is paused and you’re given a wealth of information about your situation. Every targetable enemy and object is highlighted and you can pan around and get a sense for where things are coming from. For each individual target, you can see their overall health, and the condition and the likelihood of landing a shot for each body part.

sounds good to me

DarkLegacy said:
Carter said:
(...)

The kind that is best saved for a game such as Unreal Tournament.

I got visceral satisfaction from tearing bodies apart with my sub-machine gun in Fallout 1 & 2. Does that make it Unreal Tournament?

nuka cola classic said:
I got visceral satisfaction from tearing bodies apart with my sub-machine gun in Fallout 1 & 2. Does that make it Unreal Tournament?

In Fallout there are multiple animations for different kinds of criticals, not just exploding heads or limbs. Haven't heard anything about burning them to a crisp or slicing in half or punching multiple geysers into their chest with an automatic rifle.

Edge386 said:
In Fallout there are multiple animations for different kinds of criticals, not just exploding heads or limbs. Haven't heard anything about burning them to a crisp or slicing in half or punching multiple geysers into their chest with an automatic rifle.
Don't forget one of my favorites... blasting away half their torso with heavy automatic weapons fire. Oh who am I kidding, I loved all the death animations.

But yeah, comparing the "gibbing" seen in most polygon-rendered games with Fallout's fantastic death animations is... well it's just not comparable. No game I've ever seen has had deaths that looked as good, even 10 years later. Judging by the screenshot of the exploding orc's head, I'd say FO3 isn't anywhere close. Lots of blood, and they added eyeballs, but otherwise eh.

Blasting away the torso into chunks was also a favorite of mine. The blood geysers weren't high on my list but it added to the flavor of the occasion.

Kyuu said:
Edge386 said:
Don't forget one of my favorites... blasting away half their torso with heavy automatic weapons fire. Oh who am I kidding, I loved all the death animations.

But yeah, comparing the "gibbing" seen in most polygon-rendered games with Fallout's fantastic death animations is... well it's just not comparable. No game I've ever seen has had deaths that looked as good, even 10 years later. Judging by the screenshot of the exploding orc's head, I'd say FO3 isn't anywhere close. Lots of blood, and they added eyeballs, but otherwise eh.

Fallout 3 isn't even out yet and you claim that Fallout 1 & 2's death animations are superior. They've only shown like what, one or two deaths so far? That's the keyword, so far.

Kyuu said:
Judging by the screenshot of the exploding orc's head

NukaColaClassic said:
Fallout 3 isn't even out yet and you claim that Fallout 1 & 2's death animations are superior. They've only shown like what, one or two deaths so far? That's the keyword, so far.

Do you have a problem with reading comprehension? He's judging them by what he has seen.

Back