Activation over Steam in Europe somehow possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twodoublethree

First time out of the vault
Hello there, I just registered an account for these forums today because I've encountered a problem but cant find any solution for it.

I got an uncut Austrian version of the game yesterday and tried to install it today, but it forced me to install steam first and then it told me I'm unable to activate the game since the release isn't befory friday.

That sounds totally logical to me, but isn't there some way of getting around it?

I cant even seem to install the game from the DVD, Steam is currently downloading all of the game files...

The game requires Steam and Steam has the ability to enforce official release dates. All you can do is wait... well, or pirate, but I can't exactly endorse that. Look on the bright side: it's probably preferable to using some more draconian DRM scheme like SecuROM with limited activations, or Ubisoft's "if you lose your Internet connection, your save files are all gone".

I imagine the reason it's downloading all the game files is because it's pre-loading the game, but it can't pre-install from the disc. Kind of an annoying oversight, but you shouldn't need it to download everything for you after installing it from the disc.

There are simple ways to bypass Steam's enforced release date as it only recognizes your IP and download location to peg your lock date.

That said, the legal status of this is shady and thus not really fitting for discussion here.

Also, don't use pre-loading if you have the DVD. Unless you want to play without the DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back