All Roads graphic novel 12-page preview now available

In terms of the style I fall mostly on the Alec side of the debate. It's just not very good or very unique.

I'll wait until I see the full thing (I ordered it so I will read it physically) until casting full judgement but some of that writing is pants on head we tar did.

Pretty goddamn boring. I realize it's only the first few pages, but shit, they could have done more to make you care than showing Jotun prepping for a raid and some Vegas suits doing srs bsns without any real exposition.

I must say for being a promotional material it sure does its job for me. Really looking forward to both the game and the full read (even though I kind of just look at the pictures :wink: ). Had it been sold as a stand alone magazine I might not have been as impressed (The connection to fallout is not that obvious.. yet), but this is pretty neat as an extra goodie.

TychoXI said:
I like it how four point nine out of five words are boldened and in italics. It's like whoa! I'll be giving you some meaningless emphasis.

This has been the standard in mainstream comics for a long time. Writers may put emphasis indicators in their scripts but ultimately this is the domain of the letterer. You can sometimes get odd results if the letterer isn't following the way the writer intended a line to be spoken.

Expresate said:
In my opinion the story matters more than the pictures.
:aleceyeroll: This is a comic book. A medium where words and images are in a very dependent marriage with each other to create the story. Images set the mood and the tone, say things that words do not, that's the point. The fact that it is a comic says that imagery should be at the forefront, if not equal to the text.

I agree with alec. Even though this is just a promotional item, it doesn't say "Fallout" at all. If someone showed you this without the Fallout logo, I'm sure "whoa, it's a Fallout comic!" would not be your initial, or even later, thought. This seems very generic and boring, and the characters seem odd to me. But, it is just a bonus promotional piece, a commissioned piece done by a team that may or may not be as familiar with the Fallout universe.

If someone were to do a stand alone Fallout comic, I do hope that the artistic style would be, as alec said, more 50's influenced. There should be a mix of the 50's style with the post-apocalyptic, certainly post-apocalyptic style being the more dominant.

There was a certain charm about the publishing industry in the 1950’s… :roll:

romance.jpg

Okay, there are "certain charms" about the publishing industry today. What's your point?

verevoof said:
Expresate said:
In my opinion the story matters more than the pictures.
I agree with alec. Even though this is just a promotional item, it doesn't say "Fallout" at all. If someone showed you this without the Fallout logo, I'm sure "whoa, it's a Fallout comic!" would not be your initial, or even later, thought. This seems very generic and boring, and the characters seem odd to me. But, it is just a bonus promotional piece, a commissioned piece done by a team that may or may not be as familiar with the Fallout universe.

Like Chris Avellone?

What is it with all of the it must look like the 50's stuff?

That's one of things that irritated me the most about Fallout 3, they seemed to think that it was basically Leave It To Beaver only nuked and with some robots and lasers tossed in.

Old stuff in the games should have the 50's influence, not the comic book.

generalissimofurioso said:
What is it with all of the it must look like the 50's stuff?

That's one of things that irritated me the most about Fallout 3, they seemed to think that it was basically Leave It To Beaver only nuked and with some robots and lasers tossed in.

Old stuff in the games should have the 50's influence, not the comic book.

Exactly. Fallout 1 had practically none of this so-called 50's "ambiance". Fallout 2 did have New Reno, but that was more of a throwback to the 20's-30's. Even so, most of that was just the stupid bouncers in suits with Thompsons.

The 50s influence is practically on every screen in the game. Vault boy, the vaults, they are 1950s influenced. I agree that the 50s theme shouldn't be so in your face like in Fallout 3, but it should be there in more "old world" locations and items and stuff. The world is an amalgamation of the old world pre-war 50s influenced and the new world post-war wasteland lifestyle. Of course with the years gone by the wasteland influence is, and rightfully so, much more prevalent.

Like Chris Avellone?
He just wrote it. I was speaking more of the art, the visuals. The art style is very stock, common.

verevoof said:
Like Chris Avellone?
He just wrote it. I was speaking more of the art, the visuals. The art style is very stock, common.

That I have to agree on. It's typical Dark Horse style at the moment though sadly. :?

Well, I view it as functional enough.

Fashionably so

Well, all the games had sand and rock. Why don't we see the finished product instead of complaining that a 12-page spread about some Khans in the desert has sand and rocks?

I wouldn't take Frank Frazetta as an example for overall 50's art style but maybe I have a different mind there.

Also Frazetta's looks believable and good. Over the top muscles on vault dweller's don't.

C2B said:
I wouldn't take Frank Frazetta as an example for overall 50's art style but maybe I have a different mind there.

Also Frazetta's looks believable and good. Over the top muscles on vault dweller's don't.

No doubt. Frazetta is a poor 'general' example- and i'm not really sure where alec was going with it, but the fact remains Frazetta is major 50's and that shot is reminiscent of both 50's comics and Frazetta's style.

warsaw said:
C2B said:

No doubt. Frazetta is a poor 'general' example- and i'm not really sure where alec was going with it, but the fact remains Frazetta is major 50's and that shot is reminiscent of both 50's comics and Frazetta's style.

I don't ... really see the similiarites. Care to elaborate what this makes closer to Frazetta's great art than to 90er misery?

The Fallout shot even has the nonexistant eyes on the main charachters. (All Roads has too for Background charachters which is horrible by the way) Frazetta's however is clearly visable even though little.

Back