Anyone here into Pro Wrestling?

Wish all wrestling matches were like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaaaaaaaaahh, this is the thread I've been waiting for.

I love pro wrestling. I think it's one of the most enjoyable forms of entertainment out there. It combines incredible feats of athleticism, awesome storytelling and tension, and great action full of technical complexities. Wrestling allows you to get invested in the performers and characters to a way a lot of fiction is unable to. And the in-ring work carries the same excitement as any sport, but with many spots we can marvel at because we realize those are things we can't do, but in the hands of those nearly superhuman men and women, they become real.

My avatar and username, as you may have noticed, are a reference to Stone Cold Steve Austin, one of the all time greats in terms of building character, cutting promos, and putting on impressive matches. He's not my favorite, though - the best pro wrestler of all time, to me, is Kurt Angle - legit Olympic Gold medalist, not only was he routinely carrying incredible matches with his fast-paced, mat based wrestling style, he also outclassed most of his opponents on the mic, managing to be both funny and a serious threat to any wrestler. Kurt had classic matches with Shawn Michaels, Eddie Guerrero, Brock Lesnar and even Shane McMahon.

People who have no idea what pro wrestling is often give it shit "because it's fake", which is just about one of the stupidest criticisms you can make to anything. Of course it's fictional, but so is Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Lord of the Rings and yet you can still be emotionally invested in their stories, and wrestling also carries a wide variety of entertainment styles and action that can be easily enjoyed by anyone especially as you learn the technical work that goes behind it all. With books, movies, television etc., you are complicit in the theatricality of it and willingly suspend belief to enjoy it - it's the exact same for wrestling. Pointing out the absurdity of low-level independent wrestling promotions or posting videos of botched spots as a way to mock the genre is a gross misunderstanding of just how physically taxing this profession is and how much training and skill it requires. And that is why pro wrestling is something that continues to entice millions of people today.

Really well put Stone Cold, I completely agree with the points you have made.

PS. Have you seen Chad Gable and Jason Jordon on NXT? Considering you're an Angle fan you really HAVE to see them, they're fantastic, the crowd even chant their names to the tune of Angles theme...

People who have no idea what pro wrestling is often give it shit "because it's fake", which is just about one of the stupidest criticisms you can make to anything. Of course it's fictional, but so is Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Lord of the Rings and yet you can still be emotionally invested in their stories, and wrestling also carries a wide variety of entertainment styles and action that can be easily enjoyed by anyone especially as you learn the technical work that goes behind it all.

It's true, but none of the other shows are presented as actual events. Also there was a time when wrestling was real; Game Of Thrones was never real. In a sense... Pro wrestling is almost like a demolition derby ~using special effect cars that crumple on demand, and revert for the next show. It's like an Evel Knievel show, but if he used wires to manage the stunts.

Wrestling is stage art; (art that requires skill, to be sure). It's more like a magic show than a judo match... but it presents itself like a judo match. That's kind of dishonest... in the Santa Claus sense; and its not debunked to the spectators ~for the exact same reason as Old Saint Nick.

Last edited:
Just remembered 2Live Crew and Gold Dust lol.

I remember Angle being a noob with people chanting, 'you suck', to his theme. And never liked Cena either, hiphop/military themes don't mix.

I used to watch a lot more when Punk was still active. The Royal Rumble won by Batista pretty much killed my interest, even if I still watch some matches and a large chunk of WMs and RRs.

I used to watch a lot more when Punk was still active. The Royal Rumble won by Batista pretty much killed my interest, even if I still watch some matches and a large chunk of WMs and RRs.

He is still kind of active, as in getting ready to get an ass beating in actual fighting, in UFC.

Yeah, I know. If he likes to be beaten in a bloody pulp who am I to judge, after all...

Never did like Lesnar. No good at acting, shitty character and background.

The whole thing about WWF is being a good entertainer, lile how the Rock was a great trashtalker and 3:16 Can of Whoopass.

The whole thing about WWF is being a good entertainer, lile how the Rock was a great trashtalker and 3:16 Can of Whoopass.

Yeah, he should of come back to the UFC, as the heavyweight division is pretty shallow, but he really didin't like getting his face punched in. Tis a shame really, i enjoyed watching his ass get beat.

cain-lesnar24uq4.gif

Yeah, he should of come back to the UFC, as the heavyweight division is pretty shallow, but he really didin't like getting his face punched in. Tis a shame really, i enjoyed watching his ass get beat.

cain-lesnar24uq4.gif

This. Lesnar needs to go go back to his dairy farm. He's crap.

Nothing would make me happier then to see Punk taken down a notch. Honest question; Will his diet(vegetarian/vegan) have an effect on his fighting ability? To someone with more knowledge then I, is their any professional MMA fighters who are vegan ?

Nothing would make me happier then to see Punk taken down a notch. Honest question; Will his diet(vegetarian/vegan) have an effect on his fighting ability? To someone with more knowledge then I, is their any professional MMA fighters who are vegan ?

If done right, no. He will undoubtedly get some greenhorn for his first fight, but beyond that he does not have a chance against any decent fighter. If his old, out of shape, unathletic body will somehow reach the mid tier guys in the division, he will be destroyed. Lesnar had freakish physical ability (also, the testing for steroids was almost nonexistent when he fought) going for him, but even then, when he fought skilled fighters he folded like a chair. So i think you can rest easy for now.

If done right, no. He will undoubtedly get some greenhorn for his first fight, but beyond that he does not have a chance against any decent fighter. If his old, out of shape, unathletic body will somehow reach the mid tier guys in the division, he will be destroyed. Lesnar had freakish physical ability (also, the testing for steroids was almost nonexistent when he fought) going for him, but even then, when he fought skilled fighters he folded like a chair. So i think you can rest easy for now.

I think CM Punk has a better chance than you are giving him.

Besides, if he wins his first fight, it is against a rookie who can't fight for shit, if he loses, CM Punk sucks. Thats the mentality that people will have after his 1st fight.

Besides, if he wins his first fight, it is against a rookie who can't fight for shit, if he loses, CM Punk sucks. Thats the mentality that people will have after his 1st fight.

He is in a good camp, but...

466621672.jpg

37 and no previous fighting experience in a division of killers

Nose%2BBreak%2BStoppage%2BRobbie%2BLawler%2Bvs%2BConor%2BMcGregor%2BUFC%2B189.gif

He is in a good camp, but...

466621672.jpg

37 and no previous fighting experience in a division of killers

Nose%2BBreak%2BStoppage%2BRobbie%2BLawler%2Bvs%2BConor%2BMcGregor%2BUFC%2B189.gif

True, but even he himself said that he's gonna either kick some ass or get his ass kicked, he knows whats to come. I'll be rooting for him, but I can't say he'll be a good fighter....

Back