Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Discussion

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by TheAnimeHunter, Nov 8, 2023.

1. TheAnimeHunter

TheAnimeHunter First time out of the vault

Mar 25, 2021

I recently finished a playthrough of Arcanum, possibly the best fantasy RPG I have ever played. I adore everything about it, I only wish I had more time to indulge and look for more of the side quests.

Let me know what you guys think about this game and your experiences with it, if you don't mind.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  2. TheGM

TheGM The voice of reason

Aug 19, 2008
    This is a horse I fell off of earlier that I need to get back on top of. Wanted to play it, seems cool. but life collided with with my caveman brain that just wanted to shoot lame ass magic users. I'm sure I'll get around to it at some point.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  3. PlanHex

PlanHex Legislative Senator oTO Admin Orderite Board Cop oTO

Nov 4, 2007
    I only played it once many years ago (10 or 15 I think).
    I really liked it, but replaying it seems daunting, since I remember it being a very big game with tons of hours and a million choices to make.
    I certainly can't find the time now.
    I tried to decide to get back into it once, but only got so far as reading half of the manual.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  4. The_Proletarian

The_Proletarian Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
    Staff Member Admin

Mar 15, 2012
    I played it a lot when it was new. Then I tried to actually finish it sometime around 2012/13 but got stuck near the end for some reason. It's very good and I should probably get back at it with the aim to finally beat it.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  5. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Slippy sloppy, The

Sep 11, 2010
    it good.
    but yes, very big
    take long time

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  6. TheKingofVault14

TheKingofVault14 Fallout Fan For Life!

Jul 5, 2022
    With the recent buyout of Activision by Microsoft,(dear gosh!) does anyone think that we now have a chance to get an Arcanum sequel? Or even a remaster?

:confused:

7. ironmask

ironmask A Smooth-Skin

Mar 10, 2018
    Probably not. Arcanum is too niche and not really popular enough to really get a sequel. Then again people probably thought the same about fallout before F3 was announced by Bethesda.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  8. The_Proletarian

The_Proletarian Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
    Staff Member Admin

Mar 15, 2012
    Yeah they would probably need to give it the Bethesda treatment if it is to have mass appeal. And mass appeal means I wont like it.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  9. william dempsey

william dempsey Veteran of the psychic wars. [REDACTED]

Jan 23, 2022
    Lack of original ideas create remakes, both in the film and game industry. If Microsoft saw a sequel or a remake as an earner they would venture forth.
    Arcanum reminds me of both planescape and vampire TMB as having cult status but I doubt this cuts any ice with micro.
    Smallish core games will be released with lots of DLC's and micro transactions with spin off TV series and merch !
    Same as it ever was. BUY IT>

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  10. 5545Trey

5545Trey Underground Deviant

Jun 25, 2014
    I tried the game out before, long after Troika was defunct, though I never got around to finishing it. Its gameplay didn't appeal to me, much, and while the setting was interesting, it didn't captivate me initially. And some of the music was good, while the other tracks grated on my ears. I remember watching Indigo Gaming's Arcanum retrospective, and it gave me a newfound appreciation for the world-building. Still wasn't enough for me to go back to it, but maybe I will eventually. Hate not finishing games.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  11. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    Need to find time to do a replay. Always wanted to do a pure firearms play and be an evil bastard.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1