ATOM RPG Trudograd released!

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin

The standalone expansion for the 2018 hit game ATOM RPG is now out of early access and is available for purhase on Steam and GoG. The game is fairly cheap and if you want to support the developers there are supporter packs available.

The game, which is a Russian Fallout-like, continues the cliff hanger from the originals ending and the ATOM organisation has now sent you on a mission to the mostly intact city of Trudograd.

The release update is available here. I will post the feature list below.
  • Ability to continue playing as your ATOM RPG character
    - for this you must make a save file after beating ATOM RPG’s last boss and upload it into Trudograd via a helpful menu;
  • A vast open world, containing 45+ populated locations, from a snowy post apocalyptic megapolis and its outskirts to secret Soviet military bunkers, a large pirate tanker in the frozen sea and a mysterious island, among many more;
  • 30+ combat-only locations where players will get to fight tens of foe varieties from mercenaries to merciless mutants;
  • 300+ characters, each with a unique portrait and branching dialogue;
  • 200+ quests, most with multiple solutions and outcomes;
  • Fully voiced visual text quests with branching plots and unique hand made artwork;
  • 100+ models of distinct weaponry with 75+ weapon mods for further customization;
  • 3 unique powered Soviet-style exoskeleton armor suits, with 20+ ways to customize and modify them for any playstyle;
  • 45+ hours of gameplay with heightened replayability compared to our studio’s first game;
  • Original soundtrack;

...And many more additions that make Trudograd a great single player RPG experience!

Personally I loved every atom of ATOM RPG and I have been looking forward to this expansion ever since I completed the original story. I'm still playing Encased but I booted this up just to take a peak at it and with the isometric camera mode toggled on this game looks so damn good. Have you played ATOM RPG yet and will you be playing this? Apparently there's a bundle available it you haven't bought the first game yet.

I found ATOM RPG to just be a poor man's Fallout. It's one of the few games that seems to desperately try to be Fallout but lacks that spice that makes Fallout Fallout so it just feels hollow, like it lacks soul. I didn't finish it as I got busy with another game and then I forgot about it so I plan to go back to it at some point and replay it, maybe my view on it will change then but from what I played it's a big "meh" from me. So unless the expansion revamps the setting and lore to make it more interesting I'm not really interested in it.

[edit]

Also the feature list for this just sounds like quantity over quality and I think I'm getting tired of long cRPG's as I get older so 45+ hours of gameplay just sounds like it would get tiresome. Remember Skyrim's 200+ dungeons and what those dungeons ended up being? Yeah, that. I don't trust "omygosh we got like a shitload of X".

We are clearly in different modes because I found ATOM quite charming and with some memorable characters. With all the tripe that's coming out games like these are a breath of fresh air.

Just cause the other plates are full of steaming piles of shit doesn't mean that the dried shit on this plate isn't still shit. It's like people who say that the prequel Star Wars films are great in comparison to the sequel trilogy and like, no the quality of the films are still bad, just cause there's worse stuff out there doesn't elevate other things.

Although that's way harsher than I mean for it to be. I don't hate ATOM RPG or anything, I just find it "meh". It's not bad, but it's not good either.

Well we disagree. I didn't mean that ATOM is good relative to other new games I meant it is good in and of itself.

But no point in arguing further. To each his own!

Well we disagree. I didn't mean that ATOM is good relative to other new games I meant it is good in and of itself.

But no point in arguing further. To each his own!
Si.
Do tell if the expansion is good though and why it is good. Maybe I'd enjoy it more than the base game.

I need to finish the first game (same for Underrail). I liked quite a bit of it but last time i played was like a year or so ago. Seemingly it got a lot of patches to fix a lot of stuff since then, so i might just go back to the first game to finish before i try this expansion.

Seemingly it got a lot of patches to fix a lot of stuff since then, so i might just go back to the first game to finish before i try this expansion.

They're planning extra free content for Trudograd (similar to Dead City update but smaller) so that might be beneficial.

They're planning extra free content for Trudograd (similar to Dead City update but smaller) so that might be beneficial.
I actually restarted my playthrough just to check out if there was any changes to quests, locations and such.

i finished the game, it has a ton of ui improvements, finding good traders is still hard to find, drug addiction is 2x as annoying. It's overall pretty fun but doesnt really have the weird charm of ATOM rpg tho.

Finished Trudograd. Replayed ATOM just before it so my impressions are pretty fresh.

I've finished both as a complete pacifist (never attacked anyone or anything, companions never killed anyone or anything, NPCs I can't control didn't count), so I can't talk about combat and difficulty.

Trudograd is definitely an improvement over ATOM and for this price is absolutely a great deal (clocked over 45 hours).

Good:
  • Traits and perk system. Some of the ATOM traits were pretty bland (Cannibal for example). Traits in Trudograd are way more varied. Perk tree was reworked into a much better perk circle. ATOM perks had a lot of boring perks "+% to something". These are still present, but the're also some new cool ones.
  • Writing. ATOM felt uneven at times. Trudograd is much smoother. Humor also doesn't rely so much on references (they're still present).
  • Graphics and art design. ATOM was okay, unless you zoomed in. Trudograd looks great, especially at night. New portraits, creatures and items fit nicely.
  • Quest design. ATOM had a few fetch quests and "go there and kill the random encounters". There's 1 fetch quest in Trudograd, other quests have multiple stages and/ or objectives.
Could be better:
  • Factions. You can skip them for 100k, but in order to progress you have to join and complete a few missions for one of them. As a cop I got a single side mission (killing smugglers) that I had to decline. Would be great if they got fleshed out some more with extra side quests.
Bug:
  • I encountered only one major bug (or maybe an oversight by devs). After declining to kill the smugglers I met a character that ordered an item from them, but couldn't collect it since they were all killed. I accepted and went to the warehouse. All smugglers were still present and I couldn't complete it.

Back