Bethesda going to be as mindful as Obsidian with Fallout 4?

agiel7

First time out of the vault
It seems that Obsidian made a point of addressing a lot of the issues the esteemed members of this forum had with Fallout 3: Playing up the moral ambiguity of the Brotherhood of Steel's motivations, introducing the DT system to make it more RPG-ey, the fact that creatures such as Deathclaws and Cazadores functioned as "gate" monsters, the option for pacifist playthroughs, and a much more focused narrative (to be fair, I really like the stories for the Elder Scrolls games, so I attribute the reason for Fallout 3's story not being great due to the "fish out of water" effect the setting had on Bethesda's writers).

I hope that with Bethesda looking at what Obsidian did with New Vegas that they could branch out of that BoS vs. Enclave conflict and instead look into crafting a better fiction out of other logical extrapolations of post-apocalypse societies (the Pitt being a great example, I think)

Re: Bethesda going to be as mindful as Obsidian with Fallout

While I am 100% against the continuation of the epic BOS/Enclave conflict, I agree. They should really just work on improving their writing, making the world and the stories more sensible and less for the sake of cool. They can keep their epic moments in the game, as long as they make more sense with logic and Fallout canon. Also, they should work on making sure they stick to what Fallout is about, exploring the development, politics, and conflicts of factions after a nuclear war. BOS and Enclave are so dry it's not even funny, so they should come up with new factions (or even reintroduce their own material, like the Pitt) and explore them.

If Fallout 4 will be even half as good as skyrim looks right now. Oh boy it's going to be exciting. Though, it's impossible to judge the writing of unreleased games. But I can't help but feel like Bethesda really, actually, learned from making Fallout 3, when I look at that gorgeous skyrim footage.

@Mjornil

Yeah, before oblivion came out it was the same : " GRE4TESD FooT4GE EVAR " and only after release it turned out what a piece of crap it was ... unfortunately like any other bethesda game after morrowind

Xellos said:
@Mjornil

Yeah, before oblivion came out it was the same : " GRE4TESD FooT4GE EVAR " and only after release it turned out what a piece of crap it was ... unfortunately like any other bethesda game after morrowind

Yeah it's still a good possibility. I'm just an optimist. Though, companies do change. Like bioware, DA2 and ME2 had much less of a focus on story than ME1 and DA1. Maybe the reverse can happen with Bethesda. One can dream.

Xellos said:
@Mjornil

I second that. I liked Oblivion, but the bar has been lowered from Morrowind on forward.

If they go back to the Capital Wasteland I hope they build it back up, you can only go on for so long before society starts to rebuild itself, I know DC was hit the hardest but, come on give me something more.

And i hope the BOS go back to their old ways of tech hording/superiority and the enclave stay dead or as a small, inconsequential faction just trying to stay alive while being hunted down by the BOS. And a form of gov't like NCR being to formed in the CW, either good or evil.

I love to be anti-Bethesda, because it makes me feel good. Oblivion, Fallout 3, impact on Fallout: New Vegas and even the Skyrim bullshit all over again (Todd: Greatest game ever, huge world, loads of quests, ability to play whoever you want, super awesome graphics, super awesome new engine, super awesome abilities and cool shit - come on now, go back to '06 and watch YouTube) doesn't make me think twice about changing my mind.

I don't think Bethesda will make any improvements, no matter how much I'd love them to.

I agree with the above post. Bethesda can make Fallout 3 fifty times over and still make money. Why fix what is not totally broken?(this being the game industry motto and all) Fallout 4 will be more of the same. Bet on it.

Bakura said:
I agree with the above post. Bethesda can make Fallout 3 fifty times over and still make money. Why fix what is not totally broken?(this being the game industry motto and all) Fallout 4 will be more of the same. Bet on it.

Skyrim is a major improvement over Oblivion, but it still doesn't match the complexity of FO:NV. Fallout 4 will probably be better than Fallout 3, but it won't be as good as it would be if Obsidian made it.

I think fallout 4 will suck as fallout 3.

They've killed the canon and the fallout sense of houmour (majority black humour), and made it for the masses.
They created an epic story joining stuff from the previous fallouts, and make two evil forces with no purpose, and an army of white paladins from the mighty brotherhood.

This time with F4, it will be the same.

The perfect fallout sequel would be an isometric one developed by Obsidian, that would JUST GIVE US A CHANCE to consider it a fallout, not like 3.

LivingOne2 said:
The Dutch Ghost said:
Its never officially suggested that they would make Fallout 4.
It's possible it could be a collaberation between Obsidian and Bethesda.

Perhaps but there has been no talk of that so for now its all speculation and it is more likely that Bethesda's own designers will handle Fallout 4 without any involvement of Bethesda.

Yeah, for me, F3 was seen to much as a war game. "Oh we need to attack them to unleash water" "We will attack with Liberty Prime" while New Vegas seemed more of an exploring game, in that you had to kind of explore to expand the storyline of New Vegas. With 3, all you had to do was a couple of missions and your done. But yeah, all I've heard is good things about Skyrim so my fingers are crossed.

They'd probably make the brotherhood of steel fight the aliens from mothership zeta or something. Gameplay wise, I've always been fond of the elder scrolls sort of action, but god dammit, I just can not stand how they messed up every single tiny detail from the original fallout games. Even bottlecaps for gods' sakes. Bottlecaps! I really doubt traders from the Hub would bother traversing coast to coast to trade with some dirty megaton mongrel or the slack jawed gung ho yellow skin muties that plague the Capital wasteland.

Ever since 2006, bethesda has been just terrible, and I blame Todd Howard completely. All we can expect from the next Fallout game will boil down to the Star wars prequels of the gaming industry.

Oh, and on a side note, is anyone tired of hearing the formulaic phrase: "I used to be a _________ like you, but then i took an arrow to the knee." Because I am!

It's just like any meme, it's what stupid people find more and more hilarious every time you hear it.

The phrase itself is well written, but the below par voice acting and the repetition of the phrase throughout the game makes it annoying.

Krinkels said:
It's just like any meme, it's what stupid people find more and more hilarious every time you hear it.

The phrase itself is well written, but the below par voice acting and the repetition of the phrase throughout the game makes it annoying.

The line is nowhere near as awesome as "Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter" though.

RogerMaxson37 said:
"Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter" though.

Everytime I read that, I read it in the NCR trooper's voice

*goes insane*

Back