Bethesda on their SecuROM usage

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
An assuring but mostly trod ground post from producer Ashley Cheng.<blockquote>For Fallout 3’s copy protection on PC, we use the same security model as we did for Oblivion - a simple disc check. We only use SecuRom’s disc check functionality for copy protection. We do NOT limit the number of installs. We do NOT use online authentication or any other SecuROM functionality except for a disc check when you install the game and when you launch the game. We do not install any other programs and we don’t have anything that runs in the background while you’re playing the game.

If you experience issues installing the game, try running setup.exe directly off the disc. That will resolve most compatibility issues.</blockquote>

Brother None said:
An assuring but mostly trod ground post from producer Ashley Cheng.<blockquote>For Fallout 3’s copy protection on PC, we use the same security model as we did for Oblivion - a simple disc check. We only use SecuRom’s disc check functionality for copy protection. We do NOT limit the number of installs. We do NOT use online authentication or any other SecuROM functionality except for a disc check when you install the game and when you launch the game. We do not install any other programs and we don’t have anything that runs in the background while you’re playing the game.

If you experience issues installing the game, try running setup.exe directly off the disc. That will resolve most compatibility issues.</blockquote>
If you experience issues installing the game, try running setup.exe directly off the disc. That will resolve most compatibility
I think it's funny how well they realise their copy-protection fails, it's probably the best source of humour in this game.

Still, I don't get why they use Securom instead of their own "disk-check tool", they used their own in Morrowind and Oblivion(although, they removed the disk-check in Morrowind with a patch,because it increased load-times) and it seems Securom isn't much better than their own disk-check tool.

It's not "oddly enough." In the other thread about this SecuROM business, several posters pointed out how easy it is to run the game legally without discs and without SecuROM CD checks. Go look in that thread if you're curious.

It's better news, that's for certain. Just the fact that DRM is involved, regardless of how invasive it is, still isn't a good thing.

UncannyGarlic said:
It still installs a rootkit, no? As long as it installs a SecuROM rootkit it's a problem.
The only way to know that is to ask a computer savvy person who has installed Fallout 3 on their computer. There are ways to see what has been installed and when it is running. After all of the marketing hype it's hard to trust Bethesda on this.
Producer Ashley Cheng said:
We do not install any other programs and we don’t have anything that runs in the background while you’re playing the game.
Now if this were an "id" game and John Carmack said something like this, you could trust him, but how do we know that this producer knows what she's talking about?

securom 7.x uses a rootkit no matter what "options" the publisher uses.

i know that vista was supposed to be rootkit proof, is that true or not? of course it has its own drm setup.

i know the next version of windows wont allow for rootkits.

UncannyGarlic said:
TheWesDude said:
i know that vista was supposed to be rootkit proof, is that true or not?
I'm pretty sure not looking at the "How to uninstall SecuROM" article earlier today.

To answer your question UG, it doesn't look like it installs a rootkit (nothing showing in process explorer with FO3 running), nor a securom registry entry (nothing in rootkit revealer).

docho said:
Still, I don't get why they use Securom instead of their own "disk-check tool", they used their own in Morrowind and Oblivion(although, they removed the disk-check in Morrowind with a patch,because it increased load-times) and it seems Securom isn't much better than their own disk-check tool.

Maybe they were hoping that people would buy multiple game copies, to earn extra $$$ ? Should've tried Starforce then, it's even more invasive, and very hard to crack. Securom is invasive AND easy to crack, especially if you DO IT RONG like Beth did *giggle*

SWIM said that RELOAD got it right with no crack needed.

I'm just thankful that I was able to run fallout that I paid for in the stores on my GeForce 6200. :)

Course, I did play it on XBOX 360.

Interface was easier to work with on XBOX controller, to be honest.

Ixyroth said:
To answer your question UG, it doesn't look like it installs a rootkit (nothing showing in process explorer with FO3 running), nor a securom registry entry (nothing in rootkit revealer).
The version of SecuROM that comes with NWN2 doesn't show up in regedit either but it's there. How do I know beyond word of mouth? I downloaded regdelnull and it showed up through that. Skip to that step in the following article, run it (it'll ask you for confirmation to remove each process [removing SecuROM doesn't break Fallout 3, just create a shortcut to the executable instead of using the launcher] so you don't have to delete it), and that'll tell ya.

http://reclaimyourgame.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68&Itemid=40

It's because BS lies a lot.

We're making a good game. - Epic Fail

We're keeping the series alive. - Nope

People that played the first two will enjoy it too. - Ha!

Etc, etc.

rehevkor said:
I'd like them to tell me why SecureROM keeps saying my legit copy of the game isn't.
Because it has more than 3 (? something like that) imperfections probably. That or it's ring 0 is fucking up.

Back