BioShock reviews, part III

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
To compliment the release of the demo, here's a few selected (it's impossible to cover all now) reviews of BioShock. Quote from the ever-reliable GamerNode:<blockquote>I was a little worried at first, because the first hour or two of the game really gave no indication that BioShock is anything other than a good looking generic shooter. Just as I was wondering what would happen if I were the first person to give BioShock a non-awesome score, things picked up, and I knew I didn't have to worry any longer, and that I was in for a hell of a ride.

Unlike a lot of games, BioShock isn't successful because of the gameplay; it works because of the narrative and atmosphere. Judging the action and combat alone, it really isn't that great of a game. Sure, the plasmids (basically genetic weaponry you equip) are a lot of fun, and some of them are entertaining to use, but there's nothing too original, and most people will just stick with the basic few plasmids and weapons needed to get through most of the game. Much like Halo and Gears, what Bioshock does right isn't necessarily what it contains, but rather how it packages it all together better than anyone else.

The mix of the 1960s idea of sci-fi with retro environments which would fit in Fallout 3 add a lot of nice touches to the overall game. In a move I absolutely love, almost all of the story is gathered via audio recordings, or what's basically radio chatter (like MGS, but without the big screen). It's hard to explain, but there's just something fun about listening to a recording about how someone went crazy and killed/maimed/tortured/abandoned/mutated X amount of people in the room you're in. The lights flicker, you hear strange sounds and quickly spin around on full alert... It's just great.

Like I said, though, the combat and general gameplay really aren't anything you're going to go apeshit over. (Assuming you play a decent number of games, that is.) Most of the action is pretty basic stuff, and even the biggest enemies in the game require little strategic planning to beat, thanks to the fact that there's absolutely no penalty at all for dying other than a short walk back to where you fell.</blockquote>AtomicGamer discussed downsides:<blockquote>There are a couple of downsides to BioShock, but they're pretty minimal. One is that the mini-game for "hacking", 1950s-style, gets tiresome after dozens of attempts. The developers might have done well to mix it up with different mini-games when you hack different things. The other issue is that there's no multiplayer, but at the same time I doubt the somewhat popular belief that a game is always better with multiplayer than without. BioShock might actually be less liked if it shipped with sub-par multiplayer, and while the action does seem like it'd lend itself well to online play - either through competitive or cooperative modes - we do have to remember that this is a brand new franchise, something we don't see too often, so it was more important for the creators to make a damn solid game doing what they know best. An over-extension of their talents might have turned out worse.
(...)
Some will complain that it's not open enough, that you can't travel anywhere in Rapture at once and "do anything you like". But that phrase, to "do anything you like" in the context of a video game, is always a letdown to some extent or another. This is one place where I've got to take a stand and say that if BioShock were more like that, the game would have been entirely different, not nearly as engrossing as it is, and wouldn't have had the kind of unique narrative that we are getting. You do often retrace your steps throughout any given level, but I never found that the backtracking done was in any way boring or tedious.</blockquote>Link: Game Chronicles review (100/100).
Link: Yahoo! Games review (100/100).
Link: Game Talk review (100/100).
Link: AtomicGamer review (96/100).
Link: GamerNode review (95/100).
Link: ActionTrip review (92/100).
Link: GameSpot review (90/100).

interesting that he, even if a bit catious, sees the minigames and freeroaming style as something negative. Maybe this could change the tide among reviewers

I don't care for what reviewers think, all I know is I'm psyched to get this tomorrow.

But yeah I can see the minigame thing getting annoying, but you can always use $10 instead of hacking in the game.

It seems to me these reviewers haven´t played System Shocks so they treat this audio recording thing as a new thing. Poor naabs.

This reminds me of Vampire Bloodlines, this "Mission" where you have to go to the mansion of this freaked out Vampire (Spoiler : At the End you'll find himself dead, executed by a Vampire Slayer), too long ago to name details. Anyway, this mission was linear, and there were cassette players spreaded all over the house, where you could listen - diary style - to the things that happened to him and his wife before. This was really hilarious, the kind of atmosphere was so great and spooky, one of my favourite parts in this game (although the whole game is one great part)

RayTracer said:
This reminds me of Vampire Bloodlines, this "Mission" where you have to go to the mansion of this freaked out Vampire (Spoiler : At the End you'll find himself dead, executed by a Vampire Slayer), too long ago to name details. Anyway, this mission was linear, and there were cassette players spreaded all over the house, where you could listen - diary style - to the things that happened to him and his wife before. This was really hilarious, the kind of atmosphere was so great and spooky, one of my favourite parts in this game (although the whole game is one great part)
You liked that one? I never liked it at all. Unashamedly streamlined and the audio logs were uninteresting, even thought the voice acting was superb. For some reason, I didn't like the atmosphere, not that I disliked it, but the whole area felt a lot like a badly balanced action level and that's all. Maybe it was just my sneak skill working, as the game because overly easy with the sneak kills, but I don't know. The areas I really like was the Ocean Hotel (even though the first time I played it I was listening to Dream Theater and the game had no sound, so I wasn't spooked at all, even if a bit surprised (in the first times) when a pot smashed by backs xD), the Downtown Hospital (superb, it really creeped me off), Santa Monica in general, and I also liked the five-minute-zombie-shoot-action, for some reason, but the "mission" you mention was one of the most "meh" parts of the game for me.

It seems that NMA had a huge amount of visitors when the Fallout 3 Trailer hype was going on...

Meh, I wonder what kind of review they would post about Halo 3 at the sonydefense site.

Nope. The first NMA peak is the release of the Van Buren demo, the second NMA peak is us releasing the Game Informer scans. The trailer hype (which also represents Bethesda's site highest usernumbers ever), was between those two

Oh, really, you're right i forgot the scans and the tech demo.
Just thought that many newbies came here because whiskypedia, which wrote that this is one largest fansites on the net.

I only got to do the hacking once in the demo so I can't really say whether it gets repetitive but I can see how it would. If that's the only mini-game for hacking, I think it will get annoying. I liked the SS2 hacking better. So I'd have to agree on that one.

Brother None said:
TheVaultKeeper said:
Check out this review as well - he gives the game a [5/10].. read the comments.... ahhh.... priceless :-D

http://www.sonydefenseforce.com/?p=83#comments

"Either the site owner is a moron or, and I'm finding that more and more likely, it's a parody."

I contemplated the fact that it might be parody as well, but then I remembered that it's PS3 fanboys we're talking about...

maximaz said:
I only got to do the hacking once in the demo so I can't really say whether it gets repetitive but I can see how it would. If that's the only mini-game for hacking, I think it will get annoying. I liked the SS2 hacking better. So I'd have to agree on that one.

I've only been playing for about 2 hours, and I've done the hacking game about 2 dozen times already. It does get pretty repetitive, but the objects you hack are at different difficulty levels. This adds a little bit of change, but it would have been nice if they did make different mini games for different objects.
I just encountered my first little sister and took the seemingly evil route. Yum, Adam.

Sweet lord almighty. Been playing all the time I had free today. Knocking my socks off with the awesomeness. Pretty damn Shock-esque only this time the combat doesn't suck. Playing on hard might've been a bad move though as I seem to end up in the vita chambers more than I'd like. Unf, this is about as perfect as a game of this type could get. You could argue they could slap some Deus Ex RPGing with dialog and such and improve it but I dunno.

Oh yeah, and people worrying about your character being too static, not much of a worry. You can spend adam to increase your health and/or eve bars, give you more plasmid slots, and buy new tonics/plasmids. And there are plasmids which are combat/active powers, and then a few different kinds of tonics which are passive. I'm still fairly early in the game but I've got more tonics and plasmids than I've got slots for, and that's even with buying every slot expansion I've found. Plus you can find weapon stations to do a single upgrade on any of your weapons (Went for less kickback on my tommygun) and I hear the U-Invent stations let you fiddle around to make ammo and things.

Demo also seems to be more linear than the normal game. It behaves more like SS1/2 once you're out of that, where you enter an area and basically have free run of it. Really happy with the game so far.

Brother None said:

Well, but: Alexa doesn't say anything, because:

In addition to the Alexa Crawl, which can tell us what is on the Web, Alexa utilizes web usage information, which tells us what is being seen on the web. This information comes from the community of Alexa Toolbar users. Each member of the community, in addition to getting a useful tool, is giving back. Simply by using the toolbar each member contributes valuable information about the web, how it is used, what is important and what is not. This information is returned to the community with improved Related Links, Traffic Rankings and more.
[…]
Web usage information is utilized to provide information about the number of page views and number of users that Web sites receive. This data is also the basis for the Alexa traffic rank and traffic history graphs.

I (and I think, a lot more people) don't use the alexa toolbar. So... it isn't really representative.

By the way... Alexa is also a kind of spyware. You just need to read the Privacy Policy.

Alexa’s toolbar service collects and stores information about the web pages you view, the data you enter in online forms and search fields, and, with versions 5.0 and higher, the products you purchase online while using the toolbar service. Although Alexa does not attempt to analyze web usage data to determine the identity of any alexa user, some information collected by the toolbar service is personally identifiable.

Just wanted to say that....

Lexx said:
Well, but: Alexa doesn't say anything

Yes it does. When I compare Alexa's tracking us to our own tracking of us, it's fairly representative. Not accurate, but when Alexa indicates a peak, there's a peak in reality too.

So it's not perfect, but it does say "something" and is surprisingly representative.

there's supposed to be better ones than alexa, tho'

Bioshock... I really enjoyed it. pretty good story- couple of nice twists and levels, GREAT scenery and architecture. very neat world with plenty of little hidden things and nice touches...
But funny thing happened... I finished it... it was not deep enough to last three days. Played on medium, but it was easy to figure out. 50 bucks for three days, I expect more form my gaming dollar. System Shock, Deus Ex, old Ultimas and the Fallouts among many others were longer. may not have been nicer to look at but they had some depth and a good story arc.
I guess I will play it again and differently... but... I don't know feel let down. Thats what I worry about with beth doing Fallout3, buy the game on a Friday and you are done on Sunday. After waiting 10 years. Great.
nice game but should have been MUCH longer.

Back