Bugthesda will steal Fallout Frontier, won't they?

Ediros

Water Chip? Been There, Done That
So, I have been thinking, since bugthesda is known for stealing mods, like: Autumn Leaves, settlements (first Fallout New Vegas mod), etc. I am pretty sure they will do something similar, if not straight out rip out the code.

Blizzard especially did this:

Ownership Custom Games are and shall remain the sole and exclusive property of Blizzard. Without limiting the foregoing, you hereby assign to Blizzard all of your rights, title, and interest in and to all Custom Games, including but not limited to any copyrights in the content of any Custom Games. If for any reason you are prevented or restricted from assigning any rights in the Custom Games to Blizzard, you grant to Blizzard an exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, unconditional, royalty free, irrevocable license enabling Blizzard to fully exploit the Custom Games (or any component thereof) for any purpose and in any manner whatsoever. [...]

I would have posted New Vegas geck eula, if I could find it, but didn't.

They are still salty about Dota 2, suits them right.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if bugthesda stole Frontier for shitout 5 or whatever else they make. Your thoughts?

If the mods were built with their tools—then they own them; period. That is the price for making the mods with their tools. Consent is given by the mod author when they install the toolsets.

If they don't know this, it's because they chose not to read the terms, and just clicked past them; oblivious to what they had just agreed—or either they didn't care, or thought that it couldn't affect them.

*I'd do the same thing [as Bethesda] in their place. This prevents some wise-ass from claiming that you stole their mod when you had never seen or heard of it; this is common sense self defense. A studio has to be free to create new ideas, or even refine their (possibly unused) past ones, regardless of what some modder does with their game.

This doesn't excuse exploiting the deal to intentionally use someone's mod outright as their own—and purposely garner ill will from them and the community, but that's still within their accepted rights.

There is also the possibility that the only way to do a [scripted] feature, is the way it was done by someone else (a modder). In this one case, a verbatim copy would not be so offensive... if that's the only way to go about it.

Last edited:
Valve taking team fortress when it was made in a game they don't own. That still baffles me and pisses me off. Bethesda suck but haven't quite reached that level of scum yet.

Valve taking team fortress when it was made in a game they don't own. That still baffles me and pisses me off. Bethesda suck but haven't quite reached that level of scum yet.
What? Valve hired the guys that made the Team Fortress Quake mod. Then tasked them with porting Team Fortress Classic into the Half-Life engine. If this is a scummy move what does it take to not be "scum?" Gifting a studio and funds to modders?

They're greedy and scummy but until now they really haven't stolen any mods. At worst they looked on RTS and Autumn Leaves and thought "That's cool, something similar would be cool in Fallout 4".

Fallout 4 settlement system is barebones when compared to RTS. If they actively copied a mod I'd assume it would at least be on similar level as RTS.

And saying that they copied Autumn Leaves is less true than saying that Autumn Leaves author copied from Asimov/ Heinlein. Aside from "someone got murdered in an underground bunker" there're literally no similarities. In Bethesda quest one of the Robobrains killed another because he embezzled some money. He then disguises himself as his victim.

In Autumn Leaves
Cartwright was destroying books he deemed destructive and was killed by James and Arthur due to conflicting protocols.

Also, why Frontier specifically? For all we know they could be after Someguy's or Th3Overseer's series, Beyond Boulder Dome or even New California.

I don't think Bethesda is talented enough to pull off stealing such a large fan made expansion. The most they could possibly do is rip off the aesthetic, they're good at that.

So, I have been thinking, since bugthesda is known for stealing mods, like: Autumn Leaves, settlements (first Fallout New Vegas mod), etc. I am pretty sure they will do something similar, if not straight out rip out the code.

Blizzard especially did this:

Ownership Custom Games are and shall remain the sole and exclusive property of Blizzard. Without limiting the foregoing, you hereby assign to Blizzard all of your rights, title, and interest in and to all Custom Games, including but not limited to any copyrights in the content of any Custom Games. If for any reason you are prevented or restricted from assigning any rights in the Custom Games to Blizzard, you grant to Blizzard an exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, unconditional, royalty free, irrevocable license enabling Blizzard to fully exploit the Custom Games (or any component thereof) for any purpose and in any manner whatsoever. [...]

I would have posted New Vegas geck eula, if I could find it, but didn't.

They are still salty about Dota 2, suits them right.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if bugthesda stole Frontier for shitout 5 or whatever else they make. Your thoughts?
This is fucking retarded. That's like saying Minecraft stole from modders because they added horses into the game. Settlement building isn't an exclusive patented idea

If the mods were built with their tools—then they own them; period. That is the price for making the mods with their tools. Consent is given by the mod author when they install the toolsets.

If they don't know this, it's because they chose not to read the terms, and just clicked past them; oblivious to what they had just agreed—or either they didn't care, or thought that it couldn't affect them.
I didn't see this post before because I was without a computer when it was posted, but I would like to mention something interesting in the case of Fallout New Vegas GECK.

The FNV GECK tool has no terms at all. When you install it there is no terms of service and nothing the user has to agree with.
The Download page and the Steam download (which are the two official ways of getting the GECK, IIRC) also don't have any terms of usage.
The FNV GECK archive from the official page even has a Readme file that also doesn't mention any terms the user has to agree to.

Basically, if you're using the FNV GECK, you don't agree to anything in order to use or make content in it. :V

Last edited:
Back