Building the Perfect Wastelander.

Charisma is a useless stat. Why didn't you put those points in strength or endurance instead?

New Character I made today and Its going pretty well:

S-6
P-5
E-6
C-3
I-6(7 with Intense Training)
A-7
L-7

Would be playing now if my game would load, its caught in an endless loading loop : (

Quagmire69 said:
How is charisma useless, with ten charisma your companions damage and health doubles?
It doesn't double it just 1.45s.

Still though, 10 CH + Veronica + Ballistic Fist = Veronica killing everything in one hit.

Wintermind said:
Or I could just punch dudes to death.

Yeah, but that would involve upping your melee stat. Veronica has a melee stat of like 103 or something. I'd rather let her punch dudes to death so I can save my skill points for other stuff. Plus, if she runs up and punches dudes to death, they'll have to worry about killing her, and that means I can shoot them to death more easily. Also, companions are immortal.

On a related note, if you're using Veronica and Rex as your companions, don't get the Meltdown Perk.

With the build I mentioned on an earlier post, I did quite well for myself. I dropped the Cha back down to one and the End to an 8....then maxed Str,Agi, and Int. Traits were Heavy Handed and Skilled as I had freshly downloaded all 3 DLCs and was ready to get started.

I did HH first and was quite surprised at how I rained swift destruction down upon anything in my path with a tricked out warclub. Once I got that melee attack speed perk you earn thru combat and Slayer it didn't matter that it was a lower damage weApon because I could swing it as fast as I hit the button.... a whirling tornado of carnage straight from the Mojave.....oh yes....

How my character is now from implants and 2 purchases of Intense Training

S: 6 (Get weapons handling so I can use 99% of the entire game's arsenal)
P: 8-ish I think.
E: 4(My character doesn't plan on getting hit)
C: 4
I: 7
A: 8 (Got the Small-frame trait)
L: 10 (The way I role-play, this is the reason my character survived 2 shots to the head and cleaned out the entire Strip at Blackjack, plus I'm an unabashed crit-stacker). As Doc Mitchell said: "With luck like yours, I'm surprised the bullets didn't just crawl back into the barrel."

Guess it sort of reflects my approach to Warhammer 40K (I have an Eldar army) and RTSes: Lightning fast glass cannon.

From my iron (wo)man runs, I've ended up with the following EW build:

ST:4 EW builds doesn't require high strength, and companions are good pack mules. S implant enables the use of the YCS and Q35 rifles without penalty, add power armour and the OWB +2 S perk and it gets pushed to 8 which is enough for the gatling laser.

P: 6 Required for better crits IIRC, also has nice skill bonuses and radar effect.

E: 8 Playing with Project Nevada cyberware, this is required for the Tin Head and Man Machine perks that give extra implant slots. Also necessary because I play with no health levelling, which means those extra 160 points from high endurance really come in handy.

C: 1 Dump stat, sadly.

I: 10 Not much to say. Skill point whore. Would probably have shaved a few points here in favour of agility for a guns build.

A: 5 (6 with small frame)

L: 6 Boosting this to 9 with intense training, implant and lucky shades.

Traits: Small frame and skilled

Perks:

2: + Luck
4: Educated
6: Comprehension
8: Bloody Mess
10: Finesse
12: Silent Running
14: Man Machine
16: Better Crits
18: Tin Head
20+ The basics are covered, but laser commander, Grim Reaper's, Toughness x2 sound useful to me.

My perks are Educated, Comprehension, Strong Back
Unstoppable Force, Piercing Strike, Slayer, Ninja, Stonewall, Toughness x2, Purifier, Finesse and some others I can't remember at the moment....anything involving me being more effective with melee weapons.

Ohh yeah and Super Slam....that's the one I was forgetting. With that War Club I was playin ping pong with the roboscorpions

Super Slam and a decent Strength, Endurance, and Agility are really all I ever needed to have the "combat" aspect of the game sewn up. That Perk is ridiculous. My non-optimized melee guy does 180 DPS with the War Club, and one of those 5-10 hits I land during the first second of combat is guaranteed to send the enemy flying prone. I knocked the Legendary Bloatfly out of the air and mulched it without taking a single hit. Something just seems wrong about that (not that I'm complaining... :mrgreen: )

Starting

ST:4
PE:6
EN:4
CH:1
IN:8+1 (Special Training)
AG:8+1 (Small Frame +1)
LK:9

Traits: Small Frame, Built to Destroy.
Tags: Guns, Repair, Sneak. (On hardcore i take Survival instead of sneak)

I increase LK,AG and IN with implants and get the NEMEAN Sub-dermal implant.

I using this build Stanislao Moulinsky posted some time ago. :)

Stanislao Moulinsky said:
Not a problem, but wouldn't it be more fun to make one yourself? :)

Oh, well...

Traits: Built to destroy, Fast Shot

STR: 5
PER: 5
END: 7
CHR: 1
INT: 4
AGI: 9
LCK: 9

Perks: Light Touch, Finesse, Cowboy, Hand Loader, Grunt, Jury Rigging, Fast Reload, Entomologist, Shotgun Surgeon, The Professional, Sniper, Better Criticals, Weapon Handling, Grim Reaper Spirit (forgot this one in the other build), And Stay Back!, Sneering Imperialist.

Weapons: Brush Gun + Hollow Point ammo (even against highly armored foes)
Cowboy Repeater + JFP ammo
Dinner Bell + Magnum or Slug ammo
Survivalist Rifle
Automatic Rifle
10mm SMG + Hollow Point ammo (against unarmored/lightly armored foes)
Suppressed Sniper Rifle + JSP ammo

Armor: light Armor only, Boone's beret.

Companion: either Lily for the bonus to Sneak Shots or Raoul.

With the exception of Deathclaws my A Light Shinning In Darkness literally kills everything. I went to Black Moutain with normal rounds at level 20, those masters never stood a chance. :P

Is perception needed for sniping? On my latest char i set it to 1 cause i didnt think it affected anything but seeing enemies on radar, but now when i hide and snipe i dont get hits all that often..

For my V. Hard/Hardcore Run:

S: 4+1 (Intense Training)
P: 5
E: 8 (for all implants, except the charisma one)
C: 1
I: 9
A: 5+1 (Small Frame)
L: 8

Traits: Four Eyes, Small Frame
Tagged Skills: Guns, Repair, Sneak

I plan to wear the Lucky Shades, the 1st Recon Beret and the
Vault 34 security armor or another good light armor.

(I hate visiting the Vault 34, too confusing level design with a even more confusing map, permanent radiation and 100 annoying ghoulified attentions whores)

Perks I'll choose:

Level 2: Intense Training
Level 4: Educated
Level 6: Comprehension
Level 8: Travel Light
Level 10: Finesse
Level 12: Silent Running
Level 14: Toughness (1)
Level 16: Better Criticals (with the Perception Implant)
Level 18: Jugy Rigging
Level 20: Bloody Mess (Maybe Weapon Handling here, it depends if I want to use the Anti-Materiel Rifle or not)
Level 22: Toughness (2)

The rest? Uhm dunno, maybe Confirmed Bachelor and those VATS only perks, but I don't use VATS that often in New Vegas.

@ Tokk: If you plan to snipe, you should get a perception of 6 (or 5 with implant) for the Better Criticals Perk. It is very useful, because it affects Sneak Criticals, too.

But is the reason that i dont hit all that often becaurse of low p or bad aim, or low skill level?
is perception ONLY needed for that perk? Does it affect firing guns in some other way?
And at what level can you get the scope for the hunting rifle?

If your Strengh or your Gun Skill is under the requirments for your gun, it will be really inaccurate.

Higher perception is just good for higher detect range, means you can spot enemies earlier.

Back