Building the Perfect Wastelander.

Master Blaster

First time out of the vault
Hello everyone,
At last I'm a registered member...I've been following this particular forum for quite awhile now and have read almost every thread in it. I'd like to start off my first post asking you to tell me your favorite character builds. Where did you plug in those numbers? Which stats did you find expendable? Which skills could you not do without? Which perks did you find the most useful in your playthroughs? Tell me YOUR secrets to building the perfect wastelander.... 8-)

I'd dare to say that there aren't better skills and perks in NV, they are balanced enough and it all depends on the build you want to do. That said I tried this SPECIAL build once:

S -7
P -5
E -7
C -1
I -7
A -7
L -6

Trait: Four Eyes

With the inplants and the Lucky Shades you end with all the stats at 8 (CH excluded, but it's a dump stat anyway :\). The only downside is that you lose Sniper and Better Criticals.

It's been quite a while since I created my first character for FNV (especially since I began playing on PS3 and it died on me), but I'm experimenting with a new melee build character...

Strength: 9 (10 with implant)
Perception: 1 (due to the bullets dug out of my skull, of course :) )
Endurance: 9 (10 with implant)
Charisma: 3 (4 with implant)
Intelligence: 9 (10 with implant)
Agility 8 (10 with IT at lvl 2 and Implant)
Luck: 1 (I know it sucks)

Traits: Heavy Handed, Kamikaze (Berserker style fighter)

I realize I'm cutting my throat on crits, but with heavy handed,maxed melee stats, and max Int for max skill points I'm hoping the experiment will be a success

Master Blaster said:
Strength: 9 (10 with implant)
Perception: 1 (due to the bullets dug out of my skull, of course :) )
Endurance: 9 (10 with implant)
Charisma: 3 (4 with implant)
Intelligence: 9 (10 with implant)
Agility 8 (10 with IT at lvl 2 and Implant)
Luck: 1 (I know it sucks)

Why do you waste points for CH and a perk for AGI?

I do agree that Charisma is basically a throw away stat, but I like to spend a couple of points so the companions don't absolutely suck. At 3 they can contribute a little at least without being total fodder.

I'm pretty sure most of the companions are one-man armies even with a low charisma.

I went for a tank/energy weapons build on my last playthrough just to see how it would work out and it's absolutely pointless. It works well against weaker enemies I suppose but deathclaws can still 1-2 hit kill you on Hard mode. I was wondering do their attacks ignore DT in New Vegas?

yeah I wish Charisma would have been far more important in conversations. I mean even if you have 100 in speech and 10 with intelligence critical options should AS WELL require high charisma because frankly. Who is going to listen to you even if you are right but have the charm of

%7B18597B64-2B10-4DA7-97EC-2F944FD9864B%7DPicture.jpg

AtomicSabotage said:
I went for a tank/energy weapons build on my last playthrough just to see how it would work out and it's absolutely pointless. It works well against weaker enemies I suppose but deathclaws can still 1-2 hit kill you on Hard mode. I was wondering do their attacks ignore DT in New Vegas?

Yes, their attacks ignore DT. EW needs dedication, they are powerful but need a more definite build compared to Guns. For armored enemies Over/Max Charge ammo with the Plasma Caster (or the Holorifle if you have it) work wonders.

It would've been a little more realistic if Charisma affected your speech and barter more than it did. Perhaps a fair and/or balanced fix to something like that would be a skill maximum based on your SPECIAL score, I.E. a score of 4 would be a maximum of 40 in the skill, 9 would be a 90 etc, etc. Would make people really think about their stat choices...although it would probably just be annoying for the most part :)
Deathclaws suck....

For me for an EW build i'd go the following route. My Wastelander follows the thief architype, hes pretty much a former "Prospector" turned Courier who specilized in breaking into old treasure sites and repairing anything valuable for sale/profit. Tagged skills are Science Lockpicking and Repair. Trats are Kamakaze and Build to destroy. (needless to say hes rough on his equipement but is confident enough on maintaining them)

Str 5
Per 6
End 5
Chr 5
Int 6
Agi 5
Luck 8

my first perk is usually +1 strengh from Intense Training
i dont go for the Chr 1 route as it just stinks of Metagaming to me.

I do 5 str as you dont need more then that, between the +1implant and the +1point from intense training and +1 from power armor and you'll have 8 str. more then enough to use almost any weapon in the game (Gattling laser is only 8, and if you apply this to guns you can get weapons handling if you want to rock a minigun)

I do extra points in perception mostly for RP purposes and the various perception checks in the game. again if i was going ot meta game it you could drop this low because honestly with EDE with me 99% of the game his perk means you dont really "need" perception but i like it anyway. so its 6 +1implant for 7 Per.

Endurance and Chr are set to the default of 5. Int is 6 points, the difference in points you get from a Int of 10 and a Int of 6 is small so unlike FO3 having a maxed out Int isnt as important. that said put 6 +1 from the implant to give me 7 int. Again plenty for perks and the various Int Skill checks in the game

Agility is a tempting place to put more points as it does give a good return in AP but i left it alone at 5 as i just like putting my last 3 points in Luck more. a luck of 8+ works great for a crit focused build and means you never really need to worry about money. Granted its not like money is that hard to come by, but being able to clean out all the casinios effortlessly is just too nice for me to pass up.

Implants i get are

+1 Str
+1 Int
+1 Perc
Armored skin
regen

Yes, it is actually. I was experimenting with the build and I couldn't see Doc Mitchell's blip on the radar in the next room over. :) Soooo I reverted back to one of my previous characters who had a little more even build, although, I did manage to retain a 10 in agility and luck. I'm still searching for the perfect build with my playstyle.

On a side note, I found it pretty easy to sneak through Quarry Junction and Black Mountain to get to Vegas at lvl 1. Even with a 15-20 skill there is enough terrain to use in order to sneak past the Deathclaws.

Oh Em Gee, I totally forgot about Ol Eddie...hmmmmm....
I like ED much better than Rex. I'm just not a dog person ;)

It's hard for me to decide my favorite human(oid) comrade....I want to settle down with Veronica and have a bunch of little mutated kids (I know she plays for the wrong team), I think Lilly is hilarious...Boone is a bada$$...and Cass and Arcade are just good all around.. Just depends on my mood as to who I travel with.

Crni Vuk said:
yeah I wish Charisma would have been far more important in conversations. I mean even if you have 100 in speech and 10 with intelligence critical options should AS WELL require high charisma because frankly. Who is going to listen to you even if you are right but have the charm of

%7B18597B64-2B10-4DA7-97EC-2F944FD9864B%7DPicture.jpg
...wow you sexy thang. I just got a stiffy looking at your profile pic. Bring that dusty red sandstone ass over here.

...I mean, yeah, whose going to listen to someone with no charisma, amirite?

...you sexy thang.

I almost always start the game with:

S-5
P-5
E-5
C-3
I-9
A-7
L-6

My character always, even though i dont want them to, ends up taking Intense Training 5 or 6 times. I usually only switch up my S.P.E.C.I.A.L for when i play a melee character or sometimes an EXPLOSIVES guy.

Energy weapons focused character who I end up giving a stupid amount of implants to.

S 5
P 5
E 9
C 1
I 7
A 5
L 8

And now it's time for a level two 'very hard' hardcore OWB run!

I modeled my in-game stats on how (I assume) I would be represented in SPECIAL terms

S-3
P-5
E-4
C-7
I-8
A-7
L-6

LOOKS TO KILL: decided i'd base my character off of an old school bond girl. White hair, blue eyes, pale middle age. Tag skills, sneak, barter, small arms.

S:3,(4 with intense training)
P:2
E:2(not so bad with the subdermal implant and the breeder)
C:9
I:8
A:9
L:9(use naughter nightware for gambling)

The best character I've built so far, i've made more money than I know what to do and doing great killing enemies with a varmit rifle with all the mods, and the cowboy repeater.

Back