Buy Stamps to send Email

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Daemon Spawn, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Daemon Spawn

Daemon Spawn Old Warrior of the Wastes

May 15, 2003
    From cnn.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/03/05/spam.charge.ap/index.html

I know this is old, and this only seems to be a follow up article, but I haven't seen the discussion on NMA yet. I think it is a great idea. As long as free email still exists and is still supported. The idea of paying for email with a small amount of computer time (for solving say extremely high prime numbers) I think is the best idea of the bunch. It still stays free, and keeps spam down.

Funny that there is such a large discussion about spam. Is it really that annoying to warrant solutions involving paying for email? Seriously?

I realize the irony that further discussion adds to the spam factor already prevalent on this internet we all share. :)

2. Internet St00pid

Internet St00pid First time out of the vault

Feb 27, 2004
    Runneth? Verily, thou hast forgotten the age you art living in.

While paying per e-mail is not my idea of a viable solution, it is a very large problem. Moreso for e-mail providers then the user. Bandwidth bills and all that.

3. Myrrdin

Myrrdin Still Mildly Glowing

Jan 23, 2004
    But the problem with using computer power as payment would be for those poor sods who run mailing lists mentioned in the article, on the other hand I'm pretty sure a large percentage of those who are on the bigger mailing lists really aren't interested in it, they are just subscribing because they are too lazy too unsubscribe.

But it sounds as the most viable solution to me too.

And I've been led to believe that the major problem with spam is the congestion it causes, not just that it's annoying. Have no idea how much congestion it actually causes though.

4. King of Creation

King of Creation Vault Fossil

Dec 9, 2003
    Charging for e-mails stamps is possibly the single most fucking retarded idea I have ever heard of in my entire life. Why are there such low members of the genepool?

5. alec

alec White heterosexual male Orderite

May 21, 2003
    Hm. Sounds like an alright idea to me.

It kind of remembers me of the SETI project: I downloaded that thingie once, and it starts calculating and processing data whenever your computer is on, but isn't being used.

I think this might be a good solution to fight spamming, but I never like it when people suddenly start to charge "money" (or time) for something that was free before. And to know that Bill Gates is somehow involved in all of this, well, that just makes me wanna :violent:

Hm.............

6. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    Argh! Will they take away ALL free things on the 'net?
    The beauty of the net is the free availability of communication and information. And now they want to go ask you to pay for that? No, not even if paying means letting your computer work for you.
    Besides, this is impossible unless they're going to completely change the way in which the internet works, since the internet is decentralised, and anyone(literally anyone) can just start a mail-server if he wants. There's no way of controlling the flow of e-mail. Bah. If anything like this ever happens, I'll simply do my best to set up a free e-mail provider. *grumbles*

7. Demostrike

Demostrike Still Mildly Glowing

Apr 2, 2003
    Uhh thats plain stupid.....though maybe you can send a free "acceptace" letter to a friend and them it would be free to send e-amil to that address?

8. APTYP

APTYP Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2003
    I'm surprised they didn't think of banning email to solve the spam problem.
    Maybe the ones who actually have to suffer should be the spammers, not regular users?

9. calculon000

calculon000 Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 10, 2004
    They should just make spam illegal. None of this "do not spam list" shit, just a complete ban on any e-mail edvertising. Companies can stick to media where they actually have to pay money to annoy people with advertising, like TV or Radio. I'll bet spam causes more congestion that people think. Way more.

10. toresica

toresica Still Mildly Glowing

Jan 12, 2004
    It's kinda hard to enforce laws on the Internet, though.

File-sharing is illegal in many places, too, for example - but people still do.

11. quietfanatic

quietfanatic Ancient One

Dec 10, 2003
    Surely you could track down the spammers and close them down or make an example of a few people, like with file sharing. The anti spam software people will not be to happy if there was no spam but they will probably always be there to curb the last surviving spammers. It would be very expensive and difficult to have such legislation but it would be worth it. Banning spam is being considered by the Australian government as well but it is still early days.

12. megatron

megatron A Smooth-Skin

Apr 17, 2003
    I think if people could submit addresses to a universal list that is then downloadable to block ads would be good.

I'm hoping they ban all the fucking ads, pop-ups, banners, take-overs, pop-unders, downloads for gitor and other spyware etc.

13. Ugly John

Ugly John So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Apr 3, 2003
    next year stamps for faxes...

14. MadDog

MadDog So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

May 6, 2003
    Well, problem is, we might be getting tons of spam for whatnot, but look at your normal mailbox. We get junkmail for stores we bought something at, random catalogues, your name gets submitted and you get junk for random stuff. People have to pay for all that. So obviously, paying for email stamps wouldnt work. How would that even be governed? Through your ISP or program that you use? Spam would decrease, but who would make all the profits? You guys might not use email all that much, but companies do. And newsletters and stuff get info out. I work for a company that sells accounting software, and so we email clients all the time. We also email stuff to each other, interoffice emails. Its much easier than using paper, a lot of times.

Putting stamps on emails would not work. There is too much spam, I agree, and its not right that I have about 40-70 emails a week that's spam, and I waste time downloading all that crap. How do spam mailers even profit? No one buys their stuff...

15. c0ldst33ltrs4u

c0ldst33ltrs4u Vault Dweller

Jan 12, 2004
    :shock: Charging for emails would be just wrong, aren't we paying already so that we can access the net? What more do they want? Isn't that fact that we are increasing their traffic rating so that they can peddle their banners at a higher price enough? What next? Will I have to pay to take a breath of clean air? The world is really going to the dogs :violent:

16. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    That's the entire point: they can't.

Besides, charging money won't work. Spammers will simpl;y use their own mail servers. Easy enough.

17. APTYP

Apr 2, 2003
    Actually you'd choose how much people will have to pay to send you emails.

18. Johns Volition

Johns Volition Still Mildly Glowing

Dec 25, 2003
    The problem with the 'pay for emails' is much worse; it goes in the same direction as the tcpa issue... the trick of making stamps for mails would be that only, and only the authorized mail servers could send and receive mails... That means, they monopolize mail. And I am aginst that. But I fear that the internet, like all newly discovered land (remember the usa... at the beginning it was a free land, everybody could go there and make their fortune, but that changed very soon) will become controlled and overwatched... it's sad but that's what I think is the future
    :(

19. APTYP

Apr 2, 2003
    I don't think so. People will just switch to services that don't use pay system, and without revenue - good luck maintaining authorized servers... It would probably kill Hotmail like that.

20. toresica

toresica Still Mildly Glowing

Jan 12, 2004
    The pay system, though, is something the person who recieves the e-mail chooses - like anti-spam software. I could charge people a penny to e-mail me, (or a second of computing time, or whatever), or I could charge them fifteen bucks (or 12 hours of computing time, or whatever).