Chris Avellone examines the Fallout TV Series

Fallout is (in Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas anyway) about how human society would develop after a nuclear apocalypse, not constant references to the old world. The fact Bethesda focused so much on the old world and barely developed the new one shows how they have never got the franchise.

Fallout is (in Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas anyway) about how human society would develop after a nuclear apocalypse, not constant references to the old world. The fact Bethesda focused so much on the old world and barely developed the new one shows how they have never got the franchise.

Except New Vegas is massively about mourning the Old World. They even have a DLC based around a fictional in-universe condition.

All four of the DLC are about it.

Yes, it's shown to be a bad idea in-universe but you can't argue New Vegas isn't drenched in 50s nostalgia.

Except New Vegas is massively about mourning the Old World.
New Vegas is about how the old world was bad, how we should avoid the same mistakes committed back then and how society can move away from it (Fallout 1 and 2 did the same thing). Bethesda instead overglorifies the old world by constantly referencing it and saying how cool it was, it's the exact opposite of what New Vegas did. New Vegas is literally criticizing Bethesda for constantly referencing the old world.

So New Vegas is still in line with Fallout 1 and 2, the Bethesda Fallouts aren't.

New Vegas is about how the old world was bad, how we should avoid the same mistakes committed back then and how society can move away from it.

Unless you do the House ending, which is better than NCR.

And NCR is just Pre-War America now.

And Bethesda constantly shits on the Old World as a hellhole by having every person from that era as comically evil except Nate and Nora.

Inconsistent Lore: The Evils of Capitalism
Was Fallout, as envisioned in Fallout 1, intended to be a powerful political statement about the evils of capitalism?

Nope.

How do I know?

Becase I went to the source and asked.

I thought there was a chance I was wrong, so rather than commit to an assumption, I decided to do some basic, easy research. Like asking a question vs. making a statement. It helps.

While there might be stories told by individuals and quests in Fallout that are anti-capitalism, to say its roots are anti-capitalist and Fallout was originally envisioned as anti-capitalist or an anti-capitalist statement is 100% wrong.

Just started reading; I'm so glad he wrote this in plain text. It's infuriating that so many believe that Fallout is about "muh capitalism bad" when the franchise is about so much more. (<--It's usually the media literacy types that say that nonstop.)

I mean, that's certainly one of the axes where they skewed the wrong way for me personally, but the franchise wasn't ruined by that alone. There's also
  • Top down turn based vs FPS hybrid
  • Branching paths vs exploration focus
  • Probably more stuff unrelated to the writing and story that I can't think of right now
Every other story in history vs Emil's unresolved parental issues.

(Talking animals is more Wasteland’s domain than Fallout’s, and something Tim Cain did not want in F1 and F2, which some of us respected, other designers… didn’t.)
Chris telling John Deiley to take his talking deathclaws and shove them up his ass?

I have seen people saying that Nuking Shady Sands is fine because Avellone made it possible to nuke NCR territory in FNV, but here is Avellone's words about it:
I know there was a lot said about me “nuking the West” as one of the endings for Fallout (one of many, including the Legion invading the West), but it was never any intention to wipe out NCR, it was only to introduce more conflict. In the series, the entire Mojave feels like it’s taken a big step back from where it was anyway. It certainly made the NCR-Legion conflict obselete in one single stroke, which kind of makes anything you did in New Vegas pointless, I suppose.

It's because Todd wants Fallout to be forever stuck in that in that Mad Max Post-Apocalypse setting, despite setting his game 2 centuries after it happened. Also wiping out the west coast makes it being a total shit hole like his east coast.

B-b-but Todd said he likes New Vegas!!!

Like the dicknuts known for lying didn't just tell another lie.

It's because Todd wants Fallout to be forever stuck in that in that Mad Max Post-Apocalypse setting, despite setting his game 2 centuries after it happened. Also wiping out the west coast makes it being a total shit hole like his east coast.

B-b-but Todd said he likes New Vegas!!!

Like the dicknuts known for lying didn't just tell another lie.
He needs his carte blanche.

Yeah, I'd gotten the impression people were happy that they were building on 1, 2, and Vegas, but this sounds more like the opposite, just using it as an excuse to erase the existing setting. Not just wiping out the NCR, but having the Brotherhood do it? The faction that all the West coast fiction has set up as nearly extinct and irrelevant. It's like Fallout 3 invaded and colonized New Vegas.

Yeah, I'd gotten the impression people were happy that they were building on 1, 2, and Vegas, but this sounds more like the opposite, just using it as an excuse to erase the existing setting. Not just wiping out the NCR, but having the Brotherhood do it? The faction that all the West coast fiction has set up as nearly extinct and irrelevant. It's like Fallout 3 invaded and colonized New Vegas.
Say it with me. Bethesda has now flanderized the west coast.

This is my chance to say in a place that i know won't be misunderstood, i'm still satly about the tunnelers. I do think the show destroyed west coast lore, including things written in New Vegas about how those places are like now (like freaking boneyard) but also, if we are being honest, unless we go by "ulysees is a nut" theories or just plain ignore that part, Avellone did make everything we do in NV meanigless by introducing the tunnelers. I'm not saying the TV show is justified* in factually retconning new vegas events out of canon which it has already done in a lot of ways, but you know. It's been years since i played so do correct me if i'm wrong here

Last edited:
Also, Fallout 1 leaned heavily on critique on capitalism/ imperialism, more so than any "Holywood" project ever. Yeah, it's like evil empires in general do the same things because war never changes but also in the case of the US it very specifically targets corporations, the privatization of the defence industry (Tim Cain's words btw) as well as the military, the goverment etc. The show's criticism is very, very mild by comparison. All it says is "maybe we shoudn't give corporations more power". Fallout 1 America is a capitalist hellscape where prisoners are executed on live TV and it cuts to adds of war bonds/ corporations profiteering from war. The US millitary is portrayed as imperialist criminals, there is no distinction between the state and "evil" corporations, we plainly see a system having reached its natural conclusions, fascism really and it's depressive because it feels believable.

If anything, what the show does to the lore, an evil corporation wanting to literally destroy the world, is incredibly apolitical to me. The world isn't destroyed by evil lizard people, there are systemic, economic reasons for why things are the way they are. And btw, there is no financial incentive to destroying the world as the show clumsily tries to suggest. The evil managers plot in the show is just not compatible with its attempt to critique corporations, it ends up being complete nonsense.

And in a lot of ways this is fitting with BGS fallout. Can you imagine the american goverment making a bio weapon in those games? All they can show is evil corporations doing nonsensical stuff. In a lot of ways the big reveal in the show is consistent with Bethesda's vision of fallout and i wouldn't be suprised if that's what Bethesda had planned all along.

Last edited:
I just think it's annoying that in terms of rpgs Bethesda is undeniably one of the worst storytellers in the game and yet the show managed to be even worse despite having a completely different production company.

Back