Fallout 2 mod Classic Fallout engine videos playable ingame in HD resolutions

You are correct, that was it. It works now, thank you.

I got F1 and F2 from Steam. I got Fallout Et Tu from the "Latest Release Package" Link from here. I never bothered with anything sfall manually, so I am probably using the one included there.

When I originally set up F1, I installed Et Tu exactly as instructed and the message about the HRP was kinda confusing on first start, so I just hit "Yes". Now, I just pulled the original .exe from the archive, set AllowDShowMovies=1, launched it, hit "No" on start and it worked: Upscaled videos with subtitles. HiResMode=0 removes the warning message just as you suggested. Verified working both in Intro and Overseer Intro.

I am not familiar with the different approaches towards attaining higher resolutions. Are there upsides/downsides to using sfall's or mash's? Is one more prones to bugs? Are effects different? Why does such a problem exist in the release version of Et Tu?

Last edited:
I tested the subs with avi again.
I install the 1.8 release, drop ovrintro.avi to data\art\cuts\ folder, enable French translation, disable HRP loading in fallout2.exe (to use sfall's built-in HRP), change settings in ddraw.ini to Mode=5/GraphicsWidth=1280/GraphicsHeight=720/AllowDShowMovies=1, then I can see movie subs in French just fine.

You are correct, that was it. It works now, thank you.

I got F1 and F2 from Steam. I got Fallout Et Tu from the "Latest Release Package" Link from here. I never bothered with anything sfall manually, so I am probably using the one included there.

When I originally set up F1, I installed Et Tu exactly as instructed and the message about the HRP was kinda confusing on first start, so I just hit "Yes". Now, I just pulled the original .exe from the archive, set AllowDShowMovies=1, launched it, hit "No" on start and it worked: Upscaled videos with subtitles. HiResMode=0 removes the warning message just as you suggested. Verified working both in Intro and Overseer Intro.

I am not familiar with the different approaches towards attaining higher resolutions. Are there upsides/downsides to using sfall's or mash's? Is one more prones to bugs? Are effects different? Why does such a problem exist in the release version of Et Tu?
Mash's HRP has been working fine for years, and this Sfall HRP barely got out of beta while I'm not fully sure it supports all HRP functions, and it is forced down ppl's throats, by natively setting EnableBuiltInHRP=1.. Sfall Extended (an sfall fork) totally left Mash's HRP behind, relying only on sfall's-HRP now.. and things like HRP built in sfall incompatibility with some systems do creep out from time to time, yet all in the name of progress... while i always say if something works good why replace it? better is an enemy of good or so they say..

I tested the subs with avi again.
I install the 1.8 release, drop ovrintro.avi to data\art\cuts\ folder, enable French translation, disable HRP loading in fallout2.exe (to use sfall's built-in HRP), change settings in ddraw.ini to Mode=5/GraphicsWidth=1280/GraphicsHeight=720/AllowDShowMovies=1, then I can see movie subs in French just fine.

The Recent discussion is not about French dialogues not working. Obsti and I were actually trying to find out reason behind "English" subs not working for the upscales.. and both Obsti and I realised the same thing. Subs for upscaled vids work only with Mash's HRP for us, they do not work with built in HRP on our systems,and we're not talking about some localised subtitles versions, we're discussing English subs here.
Please @NovaRain Consider revising Built-in HRP function so that the subtitles would work correctly on all system configurations for .avi videos.

Very nice job man !

I'm still waiting for FO2 vidéos now ;)
yeah, yeah..
You may have noticed there's a global economic crysis regarding certain war in eastern europe, which causes all kinds of energy prices to skyrocket all over the world..
let's just say i got other *more important* priorities right now than to play around with CGI videos, like securing funds to buy food and pay the bills.. as currently my house rent is 80% of my income, and that's excluding the electricity bill.. if it weren't for my family support i'd declare consumer bankrupcy. Luckily my old folks are still alive and kicki'n, if not for them i'd be eating dirt.

And otherwise I ran out of hard drive space to store all those video versions i made, all were "in the works" so nothing final, so i'm left with measly 20GB on the main partition which is bare minimum for the swapfile. system has already slowed down to a crawl since when an ssd is low on free space system tends to slow down. i managed to buy a new bigger one b4 the crysis, however no time to chew through this ( switch the drive system install + all my usual shit), gotta save them crumbs from social support, and start earning some serious dough, else future looks prety grim

@gustarballs1983 @NovaRain I tried HD avi videos with subtitles working (classic english language), but the subtitles are 2-3 seconds ahead of the audio (subtitles with original video are synchronized correctly). Do you have any idea where could be a problem? I am able to record a short recording of this issue if needed. Thank you for feedback.

@gustarballs1983 @NovaRain I tried HD avi videos with subtitles working (classic english language), but the subtitles are 2-3 seconds ahead of the audio (subtitles with original video are synchronized correctly). Do you have any idea where could be a problem? I am able to record a short recording of this issue if needed. Thank you for feedback.

@fuzzi
that's because you don't divert enaugh cpu calculating power to the game.
Fallout may be a 20 year+ old game but together with sfall requires all but a modern day PC. So if you have SingleCore set in the settings disable it. and keep the game on a ssd.
the audo was fine for everyone else including me. especially that i haven't fiddled with the audio in any way. the frames were just upscaled and polished by AI and that's it. if You have lag it means not enaugh cpu power for playback, and/or shitty codecs installed.

@fuzzi
that's because you don't divert enaugh cpu calculating power to the game.
Fallout may be a 20 year+ old game but together with sfall requires all but a modern day PC. So if you have SingleCore set in the settings disable it. and keep the game on a ssd.
the audo was fine for everyone else including me. especially that i haven't fiddled with the audio in any way. the frames were just upscaled and polished by AI and that's it. if You have lag it means not enaugh cpu power for playback, and/or shitty codecs installed.

Yes, It might be possible. My configuration is quite old work notebook = Dell Latitude 5490 with i5-8350U CPU @ 1.70GHz / 1896 Mhz, 4 cores and 8 logical processors + integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620. I will try it with better HW later.

You can try with SingleCore=0 first and either set OverrideArtCacheSize=1 or in fallout2.cfg set art_cache_size=261 to divert 261Megabytes of ram to cache game's graphics.

SingleCore=0 is the main thing here, because the default SingleCore=1 would yeald only 1,7GHz processor for the game, and there were instances where my 4x 3.0GHz c2q9650 did not cut for the game (especially when Lexx coded some check to launch every game tick [which he later changed to be less taxing] ).

Do try to launch the game with SingleCore=0 *and* OverrideArtCacheSize=1 options set in ddraw.ini, if that does not help then you may try to check on a better machine.

although there is a bit of a lag in the video but not 3 seconds. it's more like 0.25-0.5 of a second. most visible in the overseer speech audio lip synchro lags a tiny bit behind the audio, but that's because the original videos that certain videos were downloaded from youtube by Jdownloader2 then downscaled from 4k to 720p and converted from .mp4 to Xvid .avi. on my part.

The guy who made most of the videos did upscale to 4k in Topaz Labs VideoAI and ran the AI tool several times on 4k to plow the video through various AIs to handle certain aspects of the video which can't be handled at once ( cause sometimes require diferent AI mdoel to be loaded and each model is limited to certain functions which it has been machine learned to do). after that he ran a separate tool to render inbetween frames to increase framerate from what it was originally ( Fallout videos varay in fps from 15 to 23.9xx) to 60fps. back at the time he did this Topaz labs did not had the ai to render inbetween frames to increase framerate.

Since he did screw around with the framerate the videos might be a bit desynched with audio. but definetly not as much as 3 seconds.

Fo2 Videos are going to be made the same way someday. since the guy also made Fo2 vids. although theese are all fused into one, so i'd have to cut them first into parts before I'll downscale and convert them.
the TC videos are going to be my brew, since i do have an outdated TopazLabs VideoAI License, which allows me to use VideoAI up to a certain version until i renew.

Last edited:
You can try with SingleCore=0 first and either set OverrideArtCacheSize=1 or in fallout2.cfg set art_cache_size=261 to divert 261Megabytes of ram to cache game's graphics.

SingleCore=0 is the main thing here, because the default SingleCore=1 would yeald only 1,7GHz processor for the game, and there were instances where my 4x 3.0GHz c2q9650 did not cut for the game (especially when Lexx coded some check to launch every game tick [which he later changed to be less taxing] ).

Do try to launch the game with SingleCore=0 *and* OverrideArtCacheSize=1 options set in ddraw.ini, if that does not help then you may try to check on a better machine.

although there is a bit of a lag in the video but not 3 seconds. it's more like 0.25-0.5 of a second. most visible in the overseer speech audio lip synchro lags a tiny bit behind the audio, but that's because the original videos that certain videos were downloaded from youtube by Jdownloader2 then downscaled from 4k to 720p and converted from .mp4 to Xvid .avi. on my part.

The guy who made most of the videos did upscale to 4k in Topaz Labs VideoAI and ran the AI tool several times on 4k to plow the video through various AIs to handle certain aspects of the video which can't be handled at once ( cause sometimes require diferent AI mdoel to be loaded and each model is limited to certain functions which it has been machine learned to do). after that he ran a separate tool to render inbetween frames to increase framerate from what it was originally ( Fallout videos varay in fps from 15 to 23.9xx) to 60fps. back at the time he did this Topaz labs did not had the ai to render inbetween frames to increase framerate.

Since he did screw around with the framerate the videos might be a bit desynched with audio. but definetly not as much as 3 seconds.

Fo2 Videos are going to be made the same way someday. since the guy also made Fo2 vids. although theese are all fused into one, so i'd have to cut them first into parts before I'll downscale and convert them.
the TC videos are going to be my brew, since i do have an outdated TopazLabs VideoAI License, which allows me to use VideoAI up to a certain version until i renew.
Do you have the 4k60 source files? If so, could you post a link to them?

4k won't help you much. the source is on youtube, originally in .mp4 AVC format.
since hardware acceleration is not a thing for Xvid .avi videos, it's very unlikely that you'd get smooth playback.
Unfortuneatly, sfall does not support AVC .mp4 codec playback, due to licensing reasons. Xvid is a hacker-made codec and requires no licensing at all, hence sfall only supports Xvid as an external, codec.

Anyway search for "Ryan Cinematics" on YouTube. This guy handles all old game cinematics in Topaz Labs. Unfortuneatly his Fo2 videos are all mashed up together, and require to be cut into parts, before doing anything else to them. my GPU does the job very poorly, as it was produced before 4k became a standard. so it handles those resolutions with very low efficiency.

Also be informed that YouTube uses AI to improove video Image Quality, and post conversion to Xvid the quality goes a bit down, despite setting the best possible quality for conversion.

@gustarballs1983 Parameters changed. It is slightly better, but still there is some delay. I'm going to try it on better hardware and provide feedback later.

@gustarballs1983 OK, this make sense. Due this factor (in between frames), video and audio cannot be synced perfectly. HD videos would have to be re-worked.

Hey folks, got a little update on the situation.
I recently recovered a second rig to do the upscaling so i could do stuff on my main desktop in the meantime. both rigs now have 2TB drives, so there's plenty of free drive space to do some upscaling. I also secured DDNS service name and domain for my dynamic IP, so that i can host the upscales on a simple drive pluged in to my router via sata<=>usb bridge, i also figured out how that stuff works, and made a temporary setup to test, and the result was a success, i managed to access the files from the drive over the internet by typing the correct url into certain webbrowser adress bar. also just in case i will make the repository accessible via password and username ( universal for everybody) with read permission only to make sure no one adds stuff to my drive without my permission, or even worse deletes it's contents. If Lord allmighty provides adequate weather I'm going to proceed with work on the upscales, after I'll finish dealing with rest of stuff I'm now tasked with.

Anyways I need to secure another hard drive for the upscales hosting, and I'll migrate FoEtTu plus Fallout:Last Hope upscales onto the new hosting system. any new vids will be provided this way from now on. ofcourse if the traffic is going to be too high and i'll be pissed that i can't play online games because of it, i may temporarily take the hosting offline.

EDIT:29.03.2024
New method to obtain upscaled files plus some new upscales added
including one in 1080p. Please look for changes in the first/initial post in this thread.

Last edited:
Hey Folks..

A present from Easter bunny..

My repository which you can reach by reading first post in this thread now has:

Fallout Sonora videos Xvid .avi 720p the spoken video has two versions English and Russian, the english is spoken by "Ron P. voice AI"
also BoS tanker bowup video is in both older an newer versions both 720p choose the on you like more :p

Also _Pyran_'s Last Hope vids was added recently 720p too.

I I have a charity day today So I'll let you fokls decide what to tackle next.
I'm open for all options except vanilla Fo2 for now, i think i'll do those last because it's the hardest part.

anyways options are:
EtTu -1080p
1,5:Resurrection 720p
Nevada 720p both rus and eng ( tho someone will have to provide all the originals since there's tons of confusion around those, for example foxx's release has Rus text on screen with english VO in certain videos) it's just a waste of time to do upscales of crude versons
Fo:Yesterday 720p? anybody interested in this?

comment vote post.

Had a little more time to look around my drive, and quite suprising I already had Fo2 720p cinematics done sometime in the past.. those are probably downscales from Ryan's Cinematics, those are some quality 4k upscales i trimed down to 720p and converted to a sfall friendly codec & format..

I'm currently sitting on 1,5Resurrection videos. credits got 'ol Ron P. AI voice over ( I used a version without subs burned into the video. it's easier to fit the voice over when i have to match the video length only. subs can be adjusted in .sve file) also made one crap image quality credits.mve for resurrection, with eng Ron P. AI voice over, so that people playing on potatos worse than mine could experience the proper way too..

anyways chill and have a happy easter.

@hexer
are you by chance interested in having done something similar to videos in your mod?

I am aware You did try something similar in the past to videos in your mod, and it didn't work out, but i actually know where You made a mistake that it didn't work out as intended.

Anyways hd res videos in fallout2 engine are a possibility, all the secrets behind it are now cracked open, and it's waays more in terms of quality than a simple resizing of the video. if you don't belive me take a look at my repisitory ( info on how to get there are in the first post in this thread).

hey @gustarballs1983 , any chance you’ll leave out the frame interpolation this time around? It adds quite an uncanny effect to motion. we call it “the soap opera effect” in the US.

anyway, excited for your work. Best of luck!

You must be more clear about what you mean..
the ai upscaler has no option of interplolation, and i don't know what exactly do you mean. i don't understand the term itself either..

All i do is run decompression AI effect, sometimes also sharpening and recover details. ocasionally antialias stuff.

have you been to my ftp? did you view any new stuff?
the Fo1 vids were not made by me, i just downscaled them to 720p from 4k after a youtube rip, and converted them to sfall readable format. same Fo2.

My true work are the mods except Ron P. voice overs those are youtube rips as well..

I'm not claiming everything is my work in the title i claim those are hd videos that work in fallout 2 engine

EDIT:
I think i know what do you mean assuming you only watched the Fo1 vids..

as i said Fo1 and Fo2 vids are not my work, and the guy who did them generated inbetween frames and increased the fps to 60fps to more or less mach the added frames.

I did *not* generate inbetween frames in *my* work a.k.a Fo:Last Hope upscales and Fo:Sonora upscales, and any further work that is going to show up on my ftp server, this adding inbetween frames does have the impact on effect of motion picture, hence why i avoid that, though i could probably never reach the upscale quality level of what Ryan Cinematics did, hence why i ripped that from yt and adapted for usage in Fo2 engine.

all vids are in 720p because 1080 and 4k image in Xvid can be terribly laggy on old equipment, and there are still folks that complain that in 720p video lags behind, which is a fault of too weak cpu

Last edited:
Thought I'd leave a note here for any Linux Steam users like myself who are having trouble getting this working. I followed the instructions but the game continued to play the old non-HD videos. I noticed the following errors in the terminal:

(wine:153945): GStreamer-WARNING **: 02:56:57.086: Failed to load plugin '/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/files/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstvpx.so': libvpx.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(wine:153945): GStreamer-WARNING **: 02:56:57.086: Failed to load plugin '/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/files/lib/gstreamer-1.0/libgstlibav.so': libavfilter.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It seems that Proton comes with its own version of GStreamer that depends on older packages (libvpx6 and libavfilter7) which weren't available on my system (Ubuntu 23.10). The solution was to install gstreamer1.0-plugins-good:i386 and gstreamer1.0-libav:i386 via the system package manger and then use the GST_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable to tell GStreamer to load the plugins from those packages: GST_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gstreamer-1.0

As an aside, the FTP seems to be down. I've tried a few times over the last couple days and keep getting "connection refused." I'm currently using the Dropbox files.

Hey thanks for sharing the fix for linux users.
As for the ftp, as i said earlier, the router sometimes craps out, and the ftp server goes down. I don't monitor it 24/7 so if it is down please do notify me here in this thread.
I'll try to reboot the router asap then.
Although I won't always be on my desktop, sometimes i'll just power it down..

Ok the ftp server is back up agin. Just remember, it's not an anonymus ftp access, you need to login with ceredentials provided in the first post of this thread. it's read only access.
And as i said chrome, firefox, and edge, have long sice cut support for ftp protocol, you need to use dedicated ftp client, or a niche browser that still supports ftp like pale moon for example. however i advise to stick to something like FileZilla, and it's passive download mode, especially for the latest Fo:Yesterday's videos ( including the ones currently not yet in the game)

Last edited:
Hello @gustarballs1983

First, thank you for the hard work on the mod and advise you provide here.

I've tried to copy upscaled Fallout2 vids you've recently uploaded, and they are played perfectly (confirmed upscaled) but I'm not getting the English subtitles either with sfall high res patch or the original one.

For FoEtTu upscaled videos and english subs are working without issues with the original HR patch.
Any hint where I should look for the problems for F2 vids?

Thank you

Back