Compiling Fallout 2 scripts.

Mulligun

Still Mildly Glowing
Hello.
I'd like to make some modifications in original Fallout 2 scripts. In the pack "BIS mapper patched (+complementary resources)" downloaded from NMA there are 3 alternate locations of the source scripts:
  • BIS mapper\scripts
  • Updated source codes\1.02d source codes by Haenlomal
  • Updated source codes\RP 2.3.3 source codes by Killap
From which location above should i get the scripts not to have any bugs/problems in game after compiling?
I' will be using the Sfall Script Editor.

PS.
I've already read there there that there is an list of "outdated" F2 scripts that shouldn't be compiled due to possible bugs which can occur when used in the game. Are there in the one of the listed dirs the corrected that "outdated" scripts that won't case any problems now?

Last edited:
I mean, there isn't really much to say. You have to take the sources of the mod you want to write scripts for. If it's for the RPU, you'll take the latest RPU scripts, etc. etc. There really is no in-between.

Best is to stick with either the UPU or the RPU. Links to the files can be found here.

If you will say which version exactly you want to mod, people here will be more able to give precise instructions.

Without deciding on a version to mod, it is simply too long of an explanation.

If you can provide more information on the specifics of your intended modifications, it will be even easier.

In general, the further the scripts from the game version, the more likely something will break during compilation/in-game.

On a related question, are the scripts in the "BIS mapper\scripts" folder the v1.0 scripts that shipped with the game? or are they the same as "Updated source codes\1.02d source codes by Haenlomal"? or something else?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think v1.0 is original Fallout 2 cd version (the SSLs of the scripts shipped with the game).

"Updated source codes\1.02d" are the SSLs of the scripts shipped with the game, but changed with the 1.02 Fallout 2 patch. So if you have the original game, then installed the official(?) 1.02 Fallout 2 patch, then you should mod "Updated source codes\1.02d " instead of ""BIS mapper\scripts" folder the v1.0 "

I'm trying to compile the Fallout RP 2.3.3 scripts included in BIS mapper and getting Expecting top-level statement error in every script from the folder RP 2.3.3 source codes by Killap. I'm using the sFall Script Editor. Of course i've configured appropriate header file (from RP 2.3.3 source codes by Killap folder). Any ideas what can help?

Took a quick look at the RP source codes, and I had the same errors too. Turns out its from conditions.H, a typo on line 107 (i think)

Try opening condition.H, go to line 107, and add a backslash --> \ to the end of the line.

You could just run a program like WinMerge and see what differences there are.

The original BIS mapper release does not come with patched scripts. However, the scripts also aren't necessarily all from v1.0 but were collected from various sources if I remember right.

You could just run a program like WinMerge and see what differences there are.

The original BIS mapper release does not come with patched scripts. However, the scripts also aren't necessarily all from v1.0 but were collected from various sources if I remember right.
Interesting...guess that makes more sense than anything else. I'll try out the WinMerge idea, thanks for the suggestion.

I've modified and recompiled a bunch of scripts from Fallout RP (Killap source codes from BIS mapper) and now, after copied the scripts files to the ..data\scripts i get "you have overwritten the rp ddraw.ini file..." error. Why do putting the recompiled scripts makes a problem?

I'd like to recompile all Fallout 2 Restoration Project, updated scripts but after I've configured the sFall Script Editor (v. 4.1.7.0.RC1) and select "batch compile" only about 30% of all the scripts get compiled! When i do the same with original killap RP scripts almost all of them get compiled (about 95%). What should i do to successfully compile RPU scripts?

I'd like to mass compile RPU scripts in sFall Script Editor v.4.1.6 but get for almost all scripts marked as "skipped". What does it mean "skipped" and how to make the compiler to actually compile the scripts shown as "skipped"?

Why do you always create multiple threads? One is totally enough.

Maybe @burn can answer the question.

is it really so difficult to go to the settings and disable the option "MultiThread mass compile"
Ok, i've tried to compile each scrips separately. When using the attached compile.exe to BIS mapper i'm getting "';' at end of variable deceleration" error on almos all the scripts from sfall...

Back