"Creating Downloadable Content" by Jeff Gardiner

But, we kept the overall story of the content intact, and were able to introduce some unique gameplay and lots of ridiculously powerful weaponry for players to experiment with. All of this and we were able to get it in the hands of the fans at a very rapid pace.

What was the unique gameplay?

Jack Sparrow: My compass is unique.

Norrington: *Unique* here having the meaning of *broken*?

Unbelievable.

The Pitt, which is Fallout at its best with a new settlement, faction, and morally ambiguous quest line.

The audacity.

morally ambiguous quest line

How the fuck can slavery be morally ambinguous? There are a few moral values that you can't make morally ambinguous in any semi-real-life scenario. It's just as hard to make a noble slaver as a noble rapist pedophile.

When trying to simulate a real world slavery is always morally wrong. Sure, it may be morally ambinguous in the Matrix, where the slaves don't know they are slaves and where freeing them would mean a LOWER standard of life and most possibly death. But hey - that's the point, and in fact storyline, of the entire trilogy.

This has no relevance to the world Bethesda is trying to present. In fact, I doubt Bethesda could create a plot or semi-logical explanation that justifies slavery.

Even Fallout 1 managed to make the master a tragic hero - ultimately, his goal was in fact a noble one. The Pitt? Seeing the pure shit Bethesda called a storyline and writing I don't believe it's possible for them to think up any convincing arguments that would make you identify yourself with the bad guys, except being a bad guy for the sake of being a bad guy - like blowing up megaton.

Re: "Creating Downloadable Content" by Jeff Gardin

Jeff Gardiner said:
As Fallout 3 was nearing "true Beta," most of the content developers, our Artists and Designers, were playing the game around the clock. That process comes to an end once we start locking down the content for Beta, so this is the time we transition the team onto our additional content, now and forevermore entitled "DLC."
As far as the artists and level designers go, I don't really have any problems with them working on other content once the game has gone beta. It's not like they were going to redesign the supermutants or anything at the last minute. But, yeah, if I had bought Fallout 3 and found out that they stuck any scripters or programmers onto the DLC before the game had gone gold or the zero-day patch had come out, I would be pissed off.

UncannyGarlic said:
Operation: Anchorage was originally supposed to be sort of… an RTS. A Real Time Strategy simulation, using the Fallout 3 assets. While it does have customizable strike teams and a branching mission structure, it's just not an RTS, clearly
Well that explains where the broken promise came from and it's an interesting idea. It was probably canned because the system made sucked and there wasn't enough time to make it mediocre.
A virtual reality RTS actually makes a lot more sense as a military simulation than a FPS. But if the pretense for Operation:Anchorage is to test whether or not someone is from the Brotherhood of Steel, then wouldn't "beating" the simulation not be enough? Shouldn't proper military tactics be required?

Re: "Creating Downloadable Content" by Jeff Gardin

Morbus said:
even a crazy-clown carnival.

FoBoS and Fountain of Dreams, two tastes that go great together.

Back