Dark Humor and Bethesdas Take on It

Today I actually found the first real dark humor. But it was not made by bethesda, but rather by winamp.

I was about to beat one raider with my baseballbat, but before I started Winamp shuffled "Geto Boys - Still" up. I had to laugh so hard while beating that guy to death - first time the gore did work out :D

If you don't get it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svvc47Tr0R8

In the CO quarters at the military base with the bomb storage (I've already forgotten the name) there is a skeleton in the bathtub that looks like it was reaching for a gun hidden in the back of the toilet.

One of the computers in the Vault Tec HQ has a notification of bathroom breaks being reduced from 2.57 minutes to 2.33 minutes (or something like that) due to abuse of break times.

I personally found Moira to be funny, if annoying, in her weird sense of dark optimism.

If you've seen one skeleton-in-a-bathtub, you've seen them all. :)

One incident that stands out in my mind was that Vault with the hallucinogenic gas. You pop open a room where you see multiple versions of Dad walking around with clipboards. If you shoot them or interact with them, they disappear. If you're good, you can make them explode right before they disappear. One good headshot with a shotgun had dear old Dad #1 explode into gibs before vanishing, while Dad #2 standing nearby says, "You did what you had to do, son."

Mikael Grizzly said:
and the average console 'tard won't appreciate that little historical irony.

Whats with all this anti-console bullshit?

Did I miss a memo?

TheGM said:
Mikael Grizzly said:
and the average console 'tard won't appreciate that little historical irony.

Whats with all this anti-console bullshit?

Did I miss a memo?

I don't get it either... I mean my friends and I discuss the symbolic nature of the twins in Finnegan's Wake over X-Box Live while playing Fallout 3 and I usually try and get some work done on my thesis involving Honorificabilitudinitatibus and its use in Love's Labor's Lost...

Hmmm... :wink:

The console bashing does get old. I only play computer because I have a nice computer I built, and I don't care enough for TV to own one or a console. But video games is supposed to be fun. Whatever happened to that?

chaosapiant said:
But video games is supposed to be fun. Whatever happened to that?
Console tards happened, and it is easy to blame them for the ongoing dominance of mindless action games that are also fairly easy at the same time. Personally I don't blame them fully for this, but their influence has made for an overall laziness and simplicity in gaming, mainstream rpgs in particluar. I blame their parents mostly, it is their money that keeps the trend going.

well, what would you expect
games get dumbed down to meet the dumbed down generations
it will get only worse

I had to snigger slightly when I was exploring the "Bethesda Ruins"... I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope....

Console tards and kiddies refers to a group of gamers who were originally dominant on consoles but now have spread to PC gaming. It's not bashing consoles, it's bashing a group of gamers. I personally see more of those folks with XBoxes, XBox LIVE and the type of games originally on the system (sports, shooters, and Tecmo) probably don't help it any, at least with me.

They're usually saying "Hehe, it's fun, I like fun!"

No Fucking Shit!? Who doesn't like fun??

Or my friend who's not my friend anymore "Do all games have to be serious? Games are for "fun""
and I said
"But which games are serious nowadays?"

Everything is to have fun, but their lives are not fun. That's why they spend lots of time playing consoles...because they give them...fun!

The only real reason I play on consoles is because of exclusives. I proudly carry the PS3s flag so that would mainly make it for Metal Gear Solid, Killzone, God Of War, Resistance and so on.

I prefer PC gaming tho, sadly my Alienware fried its hd after taking an ungodly amount of abuse of 8 hour a day Warcraft :P

I've been playing Fallout 3 for about 35+ hours now (during exam period no less.. stupid, stupid!) and beleive it or not I *have* come across some Fallout-y moments.

Now these moments are nothing but rehashes of moments within the previous games, but they were memorable none-the-less.

In Navarro.. I mean "Raven Rock", there is a plethora of lost cutlery underneath the Mess Hall. Vaguely amusing, if not a little un-beleiveable given the potential for access to that area is mind-bogglingly easy.

An underground (accessed from the Jefferson Memorial) party-street type-thing. Okay, the sewers are filled with insane ghouls and there's a brightly lit dead-end with white-picket fences etc. I think they were going for inane contrasts, and it kind of works. But ultimately it makes no sense.. even if we accept that Fallout 3 is the Sims with guns, why would insane ghouls 'trick out' their 'pad' to look like a pre-war wonderland. Sane ones might... feral ones wouldn't.

There are various couples (skeletons) that are positioned lying next to eachother, and it's really a very dark/tragic irony type moment, but the frequency at which i've seen it replayed it a little annoying. I get it. The nukes hit. Peole died. Stop remaking the same scene.

[spoiler:419be06379]A genuinely funny moment where I discover a note written by a long-dead man (actually i've found many of these) describing how he was left trapped by an insane Robotic Nuka-Cola factory foreman who had been implementing harsh new conditions that apparently warranted life-long imprisonment. My central gripe with this was that *after* I had found the note (and dead employees) there were no new dialogue options! [/spoiler:419be06379]

One truly fantastic moment was when I found children huddled under their School desks in a direct imitation of the *classic* 1950's Duck and Cover Civil Defence videos. Weeelll.. it *would* have been a great moment, except I have yet to find such a prime example of Fallout humour within Fallout 3. If this most perfect of moments does exist within the game, please put me in my place and inform me of its location!

I think the central problem with finding Fallout-y moments and situations, is that within the games so much of the appeal was in the descriptions and the implied depth. Yes it might be true that actually *seeing* a revolting mattress is more "immersive" than reading an item description, but reading about a bed that looks and smells like it has a dead thing wedged between it is far funnier (at least in my mind) than actually seeing it.

The dialogue issues stem primarily from the poor voice acting. Okay so there are moments where excited 12 year olds are holding the crayons over the book of Fallout Canon whilst laughing gleefully, but there are also some moments of entertaining and very Fallout-like speech.. just turn off the sound. (For the love of all that is unholy don't ever listen to the dialogue of the NPC's.. it makes the rage palpable.)

I hate this game less the more I play it, but there are far too many moments where Bethesda (having worked their way into my good grace) just kicks sanity and reasoning in the balls and forces me to loathe them.

There are simple things that become increasingly annoying the more I play.
A laundry list:
No FN-FAL or Gauss Gun - in fact a general loss of guns.

Too much ammo/stim packs/rad-away/chems/food ect etc - sure I could put the game on Hard and restrict the amount of avaliable ammo but that's not really a good way of addressing the problem. If i'm in a Post Apocalyptic wasteland it should FEEL like that. Everything should be stripped bare except in the most difficult and to reach and dangerous places (like in the Gecko Caves).

What the fuck is with all the standing houses?! Wood rots astoundingly quickly when exposed to oxygen and water.. and atomic blasts. So why, after 200 years, are there still any towns!?
It made sense in Fallout and Fallout 2 why there were towns.. because people MADE them.. and LIVED in them. But for Springvale to be anything more than dirt and rubble... well that just makes no sense.

Exploding cars/trucks. One in 100? Very likely if underground in Carparks or something. 50 in 100? Not too likely, especially if 200 years of rust and Wasteland violence have preceeded it.. not to mention that damn Nuclear holocaust we keep mentioning. 99 in 100? Now this is just silliness run amok. If the only exceptions for exploding cars in your game, are those that are *stacked* one atop another (hardware constraints.. :freak: ) then then it's clear you haven't done your job right!

Jeez. That took awhile to write. And that list still isn't complete.

I can conclude this diatribe by saying simply that, once an editor comes out, Fallout 3 will potentially be a great game.. and even a good Fallout game. ("shock horror" I know, but I'm staying optimistic even in the face of all opposing evidence. :ok:

Relaxe..if you spent your time writing everything that doesn't fit and belong..you could actually programm a decent fallout in the same timeframe!

instead do what we all do. just write what fits:

-

If you explore the space rocket exhibit a little, you'll notice not only does it have Captain Bell's space suit on display, but also Captain Bell.

There is one bit of striking irony, though not quite fitting as "dark irony".

[spoiler:4d2398e1c8]The fact that Liberty Prime, a device geared for the destruction of Communist invaders, is battling the remnants of the US government at the end of the game, all the while spouting its anti-Communism and pro-Democracy one liners. [/spoiler:4d2398e1c8]

Haven't any of you seen the teddy bears in the first room of the Sewers near Grayditch? Not the Subway full of ants, but there's a nearby Sewer building.

On some equipment are rows and rows of teddy bears, as if it were an assembly line.
The vast majority of them are normal teddys.

But one pair of them is in a *very* suggestive position with a bottle of whiskey nearby, another is kicked back with a pack of smokes, a syringe (med-x) and a drink, and yet a third is sitting with a single cigarette, a frag grenade, and a pistol.

I chuckled when I saw the pair of teddys in the 'suggestive' pose, and the rest I was just smirking to the fact that the mapper at Beth had a little fun with that room.

No, its not FO1 or FO2 caliber funny, but funny is funny.

Back