Dark Humor and Bethesdas Take on It

Eternal

Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?
**(Possible Spoilers from anyone who posts in this thread!!)**

Ok, we all know that FO1 had some chuckles in it, maybe not a lot, but they were there and they typically were reaaaaaallly f'd up.

So what funny things have you found while wandering the Capitol Wastelands?

Here are a couple things I discovered:

Inside one of the abandoned houses in Minefield, if you go upstairs into the master bedroom you will find two skeletons spooning like a husband and wife sleeping.

At the elementary school there is bullets inside one of the teachers desks, and brass knuckles inside one of the students desks. (also there is a vacuum cleaner inside one of the students desks and I'm STILL trying to wrap by head around how the heck it fit in there)

Belaila's firm belief that it is still 1950 and she has a pie cooling on the window sill and children playing in the yard.

----
Humorous Confusions.

The 1 person bomb shelters spread around the wastes. I don't know if this was intentional but I found the very notion to be hilarious. Namely, what would you eat/drink, where would you go to the bathroom and what would keep you sane for the, at best, MONTHS of waiting out the radiation, also why is there no computer screen inside giving a stats readout of the surrounding area?

The fact they give the Fat Man to a recruit who hasn't even passed their test yet.

and finally; the fact that you can hear Threedog Djing on the Radio while you are also watching him sleep in bed.

Heraopx21 said:
Most of those points shows up the makers to be idiots to be fair.

Well the confusions/bugs show them to be lazy rather than idiots. In all fairness, everyone has a different sense of humor. I personally thought the spooning skeletons was not only funny but very sad.

With Fallout 3 I found the bleakness they created with the landscape and general locations to give off the horror vibe you would expect a post apocalyptic RPG to give, but it was hardly a RPG was it?
I'd argue it was was simply an advanced FPS.

When I first played Fallout 1&2 and later discovered Tactics I was amazed at the humour, no matter how dark it was...

Although I have seen some of that dark humour in 3, but its hardly Black isle quality.

As has been said before, as a game alone, F3 is good, but as a sequel, its dire.

Totally agree, the game is an overblown spinoff, but a good spinoff.

There is a reason its called a FPSrpg, if you notice, the FPS part is ALOT bigger than the rpg part. ;)

and finally; the fact that you can hear Threedog Djing on the Radio while you are also watching him sleep in bed.

uhhh...

A Wizard was Djing it!

Superboy-Prime punched a wall!

It was a Mother-Box!

Its magic, we don't need to explain it!

FEV explains everything!

Deathstroke's mind altering drugs!

It was a Nemesis plot!

Tzeetch was behind it! And against it! HAhahahah, sucker!

See, this is all a plot by the Antedeluvians!

The Scarlet Witch warped reality!

Gordon is the G-Man!

The Butler did it!

Time Travel explains everything!

Three Dog can be in two places at once!

Three Dog was in his bed, the one DJing it was a clone!

Its another Xanatos gambit!

Revolver Ocelot is behind Three Dog! And against him! And helping him! Or not!

popej said:
Or maybe he just pre-recorded the broadcast like many DJ's do? :P

That would explain the constant repetition of what he says. Lazy lazy lazy 'voice of the wasteland'

More laziness;

I was an hour out of the Vault and was doing Moira's book quest. I went to the Alrington library at her request, and when I met the BoS scribe there one of the dialogue options was; "Everywhere I go I run into you Brotherhood assholes."

Despite the fact that I'd been literally nowhere but Megaton, where nobody had even mentioned the BoS.

SIGH x10,000.

Also - Three Dog? Three records more like. amirite?

ultrabrilliant said:
More laziness;

I was an hour out of the Vault and was doing Moira's book quest. I went to the Alrington library at her request, and when I met the BoS scribe there one of the dialogue options was; "Everywhere I go I run into you Brotherhood assholes."

Despite the fact that I'd been literally nowhere but Megaton, where nobody had even mentioned the BoS.

SIGH x10,000.

Also - Three Dog? Three records more like. amirite?

Lol, yea I'm still in megaton I'm actually on the Library quest right now and haven't joined the BoS yet (though I have gone to GNR) Seems like a super lazy design flaw that could have easily been avoided with a simple

{Check BoS}
if {return = fail} execute dialog tree A
if {return = true} execute dialog tree B

simply make variables on your character sheet that are modified as you complete quests.

Has the player finished 'Blood Ties'? Is the player a member of The Family? If so use this tree, if not a member of the family use this tree, and if hasn't completed Blood Ties, use this tree.

Yeah, kinda the same thing I had with that friendly super mutant, "Uncle Joe" or something. The dialogue was "Who are you? I've never met a friendly super mutant before", but actually I've never met one at all.

Maybe they taught us about all things outside, when we where in the Vault? :P

This post looked really cool; pointing out things that can be considered humorous. Then it turned into another F3 hate thread it seems. Anyways, The thing that I found humorous so far was one of the one man bomb shelters. It had a really pleasant note inside, and there was a skeleton in it. I love the irony.

In some mailboxes you can find a letter from Vault-Tec explaining to the homeowner that they didn't make the selection process and wouldn't be let into the Vaults. A nice, eerie touch, I thought - especially if their frazzled skeletons are lying nearby.

ultrabrilliant said:
In some mailboxes you can find a letter from Vault-Tec explaining to the homeowner that they didn't make the selection process and wouldn't be let into the Vaults. A nice, eerie touch, I thought - especially if their frazzled skeletons are lying nearby.

Yeah, that was a good one.

Or there was one answer in the GOAT test "Shoot your head off" for "What if you get mutated" quastion.
It was pretty funny, but GOAT was suppose to be a serious test. So this joke didn't fit there.

The Mama something or another food processing plant where the chinese had infiltrated the factory as workers. Anyway there's some information in one of the terminals that says something about radiation levels in food exceeding the federal limit. I chuckled at that one you know, umm because of China and stuff.

What this post misses (and Bethesda did not, at least not completely) is that Fallout 1 was rarely about the funny ha-has, it was about dark irony.

Fallout 3 has dark irony, though nothing near the level of Fallout 1. Nice touches, though, like the Vault letters in the mailbox, or the fact that Lincoln Memorial is held by slavers when you find it.

But that latter part is also a clear example of where Bethesda missteps on dark irony: they stand up and rub it in your face. Lack of subtlety will kill any bit of dark irony.

I forget the building but it was some big private business near a metro station and if you read the computer entries they talk about hiding funds from the government and that every employee needs to be armed "mildly", which was pretty funny. A later entry then spoke of the Feds coming to bust in the doors and to be ready. Enron with guns, love it, lol.

The robot that dressed up as Washington or Hancock or whomever was funny too. Looked weird with that wig.

I liked the humor, it was often dry or at other times over the top and you could only find it if you looked. People who breezed through the game or nit picked with dialogue missed out on a ton.

Brother None said:
But that latter part is also a clear example of where Bethesda missteps on dark irony: they stand up and rub it in your face. Lack of subtlety will kill any bit of dark irony.

To be honest, it didn't bother me. None of the slavers remarked on that (though maybe that's because my trigger finger was faster than my tongue) and the average console 'tard won't appreciate that little historical irony.

Back