Defonten - now selling posters!

I absolutely need one of the bar scene.
Damn Paypal.

Can't he find a friend with a 100% working paypal account to transfer money to?

mmm having a bit of problems with western union :(.

Apparently they require security questions over the phone the first time you use them and I couldn't remember some of them. I canceled my order; hopefully he'll soon get paypal.

If it costs more than $50 for a print of an entirely computer generated matte painting you're getting royally screwed. Keep in mind what you're buying was most likely made at Kinkos :P
Few people have access to those giant manufacturing printers unless they go to an art school or work for a magazine.

I'm don't hate matte paintings, and his stuff is fun to look at, but it's not as great as everyone makes it out to be. First of all, matte is about 90% tracing and 10% original material. These things can be knocked out in a week or 2. All it requires is someone capable with photoshop and a 3d editor like Maya and a huge catalog of reference material. It's easier to cram as much junk as possible in the pic if you don't have to draw it.
At the end it looks good, but now imagine what it might look like if he did those "Fallouty" paintings by hand in oil or acrylic. They'd take months to complete but would be so many times better. Look at the actual Fallout comic book splash screens for inspiration.
http://nma-fallout.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=660

To see an epic fail of matte paintings, check the first released Fallout 3 concept art from Bethesda. Some of you guys even tracked down the reference pics on fucking google!

I'm don't hate matte paintings, and his stuff is fun to look at, but it's not as great as everyone makes it out to be. First of all, matte is about 90% tracing and 10% original material. These things can be knocked out in a week or 2. All it requires is someone capable with photoshop and a 3d editor like Maya and a huge catalog of reference material. It's easier to cram as much junk as possible in the pic if you don't have to draw it.

Oh yeah! Hey I even got a "MAKE BEAUTIFUL ART" button on my keyboard which helps generating 100 pieces of high quality concept art per minute! (May be that's why I have only a few of'em in 3 years) But please don't tell anyone, keep it between us! Oh and by the way - Matte Painting has nothing to do with tracing.. sorry to dissapoint you about that. Just to keep you informed: Computer just lets your hands stay clean from oil paint and that's just about it with making anything easier. Everything that applies in traditional painting apllies in digital painting either, believe it or not. My father is working with oil so I know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately (or fortunately) there's no computer on earth (except the one the God owns may be) which would tell you what is right and what is wrong in your composition. No computer which will tell you how to make your composition well-balanced on lights\shadows and color gamma. No computer which will generate photos (!) in needed angle and color hue for you to place wherever you want. NO SUCH 3D packages that would kindly generate stuff for you ready to import into your composition (well may be except primitive spheres and cubes ;)) In other words - every step of making concept art or matte painting - requires huge efforts, time, creative fuel and much much more.

Mad Max RW said:
...snip...

I think that was abit harsh, mate - I don't think it is that simple.

I like Defonten's work alot.

@Defonten - keep it up, and let us know if and when you have more art to show us. :)

I admit I did simplify it mainly because I much prefer the classical way of painting. Computers are dominating art now, and it's a shame because the majority use it as a crutch. I've seen so much shit over the years and it seems to only get worse because adobe tools are easier to acquire these days. Defonten, you're good, but definitely not the be all end all of matte. Composition wise, the bar scene is the only one not a cluttered and confusing mess. The rest are more like concept sketches for possible game locations.

Also, I do speak from experience and I'm not just pulling stuff outta my ass to start an argument. I'm an illustrator/fine artist myself (oils are my primary medium, but I'm equally good at watercolors/gouache, thousands of hours in computer painting) and I have a lot of published work, public murals, and a shit ton of stuff done for private collectors and galleries.

munneys

Is dafonten reading this?

Would it be possible to just send you Azerbaijani manats in the mail or something ? :s

Mad Max RW said:
Also, I do speak from experience and I'm not just pulling stuff outta my ass to start an argument. I'm an illustrator/fine artist myself (oils are my primary medium, but I'm equally good at watercolors/gouache, thousands of hours in computer painting) and I have a lot of published work, public murals, and a shit ton of stuff done for private collectors and galleries.

Uhhh...you do realise Defonten has been working as a professional artist himself for years now, right? He has a lot of published work as well, pieces done on commission, etc. etc.

Not that you don't have the right to criticism, you do, but pulling a "I'm an artist, y'know!" when you're in fact talking to a professional artist is a bit silly.

vampyrian said:
Hellion said:
I'll definitely order one or two when payment via paypal becomes available.

Same here!:)

I think you guys misunderstand. Azerbeijani accounts can't accept money via Paypal. See here.

That's not something that's just going to change overnight.

Mad Max RW said:
Defonten, you're good, but definitely not the be all end all of matte.
Didn't notice anyone claiming that either...

I like the art (although, I don't think the tornado fits in at all), however, it's not something I would like to have hanging on the wall, I'd rather would see the art in large book format, taking the pictures out of the shelf whenever I feel for looking at 'em. Of course, that would require a bit more than 5 pictures (and the non-Fallout ones aren't particularly interesting for me either)... You're talented, keep up the good work, and when you'll publish your first art collection book I'll buy it.

Brother None said:
vampyrian said:
Hellion said:
I'll definitely order one or two when payment via paypal becomes available.

Same here!:)

I think you guys misunderstand. Azerbeijani accounts can't accept money via Paypal. See here.

That's not something that's just going to change overnight.

I can accept Western Union or MoneyGram money transfers only.
Sorry friends - no Paypal yet) Price to be determined by e-mail
depending on the size you choose. Feel free to email me
you if need more info.

Well I was going by this so I guess the whole thing is a bit misleading. Ah well, no Fallout fanart for me then.

Meh, maybe Defonten will be able to set it up through a foreign friend. Who knows.

But, y'know, the best way to find out would be to ask *him*.

Meh, maybe Defonten will be able to set it up through a foreign friend. Who knows.

But, y'know, the best way to find out would be to ask *him*.

&

Well I was going by this (no Paypal YET) so I guess the whole thing is a bit misleading. Ah well, no Fallout fanart for me then.

I am very very sorry guys but I once again have to quote Brother None on this:

I think you guys misunderstand. Azerbeijani accounts can't accept money via Paypal. That's not something that's just going to change overnight.

There's nothing I can do about it, really.

Max I'd like to see some of your work. This isn't a challenge, I'd just really like to see it. I think its cool we have another artist on the board. You have a link for any of your stuff?

Back