Do you pickpocket in games?

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
T

TorontoReign

I find myself not wanting to bother because I do not want to save scum. If you do pickpocket do you save scum? I think 90 percent of people will say yes they save scum to save time and tedious crap. Kingdom Come Deliverance fixed this by making limited saves...

I do pickpocket, but usually, I only pickpocket something I really need. If I fail the pickpocket, then I do load the game, but I have no patience to load the game more than two times, after that, I just won't pickpocket that character anymore (unless it's an essential plot item).

I tend to do that on those kind of runs. Iron Man runs though? It's not worth the risk to lose the whole game for 10 rubles, a piece of cheese, and some shotgun shells.

I never play ironman modes. I already don't have much time to play games, let alone have to restart a game several times and redo all the stuff I already did.

I tend to do that on those kind of runs. Iron Man runs though? It's not worth the risk to lose the whole game for 10 rubles, a piece of cheese, and some shotgun shells.
If you try to steal rope from the guard at Shady Sands you get one warning. So you can always try to steal rope at the beginning of Fallout 1 without risk in an iron man run.

My playstyle is usually sneak, sniper and thieving.

My style is very similar. I don't use Thief as a starting perk, but I usually take it early. You know it ups pickpocket + other stats.
A very early perk I take reduces the AP of inventory management! Lots of games I tried not to steal but on occasions you HAVE TO, to find a key or whatever.
All in all I now thieve like fuck :)

Do you pickpocket in games?
Only when it is in character for the PC to do so.

In Baldur's Gate for instance, generally with Imoen or Montaron, and not in the presence of Minsc, or other PC who would logically object. So... obviously the thieves don't get to bring paladins to defend them when they get caught in somebody's private rooms. Kagain, and Xzar would come along.

Last edited:
Lots of games are easily broken with pickpocket and save scum, so what is the point.
But I save scum lockpicking a lot, so no saint here.

In BG1 on one playthrough I played paladin who acquired a taste for other people stuff (I guess I got bored with the character).
Very soon without save scumming he became fallen paladin - and playing further was almost impossible.
People had very negative reaction to fallen fella, so most quests were effectively locked out.

Wizardry 8 had interesting system to turn you away from pick pocketing too much.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/245450/discussions/0/2261314050770396779/

I think pickpocketing is fun and it's also fun to try to get yourself out of a situation when you fail it. People ruin games by savescumming. Just roll with whatever happens and the experience will be better and a lot more replayable

I pickpocket in games that let me easily save-scum, in FO1 and 2 I'm pretty sure I've systematically, pathologically pickpocketed everyone and everything, because obviously - I wanna know what everyone's got

Other games really discourage pickpocketing, Morrowind for example makes loading previous save a little more of a chore, and the game is also extremely unforgiving about your sneak/steal abilities PLUS you don't even get their full inventory, and have to keep trying in order to find the object you want to steal :S

I will save scum pickpocket occasionally, but it will always be save scum. If the game won't let me do that, then forget it. I do a lot more save scum with combat than stealing.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance wins the pickpocket mechanic along with that one Obsidian game that did the little minigame maybe Pillars. I think we need to consider that save scumming is ruining the RPG genre in a few ways.

Kingdom Come was a game that really made me wish I had been a whole decade younger, just for the purpose. I found it to be *perfect* for the kind of lonely existence I had back then, where I could easily sit up for hours, reading about the history of apples, before slowly and meticulously improving my sword-skills etc

it reminded me of the slooow pace of Mount and Blade, except much, much more fleshed out of course. M&B is another game I love, but that I just don't find myself playing anymore, I use my night alone-time for writing, and daytime for much more casual gaming.

I did not beat it either but I saw something there that was truly unique and needs to be copied. Less Skyrim more KCD I say.

I will buy it at some point but I really hope their next game is not a direct sequel and something new but the same.

I only pickpocket when im like really early game, focus on stealthing at the start so I can steal everything that isnt glued to the floor and sell it all

Back