...do you really want to be able to kill children

Black said:
Crel said:
So it'll be ok for me to blow someones head off, poison, repeatedly punching them in the groin, break limbs with mallee weps, and more or less torture them.
No, it's not okay- that's why they removed groin hits.

They removed groin hits?! Oh my god... that just kills everything right there... fuck them.

Froggystylexz95 said:
Black said:
Crel said:
So it'll be ok for me to blow someones head off, poison, repeatedly punching them in the groin, break limbs with mallee weps, and more or less torture them.
No, it's not okay- that's why they removed groin hits.

They removed groin hits?! Oh my god... that just kills everything right there... fuck them.

Yes, the entire game is going to be absolute turd because of this one change in design.

I think that if people are going to put children in a game, they should absolutely be killable. It's already been stated that it's unrealistic and idiotic to include them and make them invincible.

Besides, let's say a 12 year-old kid gets his hands on a copy of Fallout and he can shoot the hell out of a child who remain entirely uninjured. What the hell kind of message is that sending? It's ok to shoot at/beat children because it won't hurt them? What's worse- invincible children or children that react realistically to violence and die? Which is likely to instill a sense of regret and self-revulsion? In any event, anyone who hurts or kills another human being because they "saw it in a videogame" has deeper problems that those caused by said videogame. It's another scapegoat in a long line of convenient scapegoats, from Marilyn Manson to Child's Play 3.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible to see, because of the moralistic self-righteous dipshits that populate America and Europe, the political and commercial tightrope that Bethsoft have to walk. After Manhunt 2's example, they have to be very careful indeed. Insisting on leaving killable children in the game is all well and good and true to one's integrity, but it won't do the game much good when the BBFC and whatever they have in America/the rest of Europe slap an AO rating on it, or doesn't rate it at all. What you have then is an expensive experiement that will make no profit whatsoever.

Yes, it will be annoying if they leave children out. Yes, it will be VERY annoying if they put invincible children in. But this is a high profile game. They stand to lose more by trying to maintain artistic integrity and freedom of choice. In fact, the entire industry stands to lose more if it kicks off another mainstream media hatefest against video games.

its simple, do what interplay did for originals.

put killable children in the us version and for the countries where its illegal put out a copy without children at all.

and then what happens now will happen. the majority of people in the countries where its illegal will buy their localized copy and the rest will get different country versions with the killable children.

Jidai Geki said:
After Manhunt 2's example, they have to be very careful indeed.
Hmm...
I just saw Manhunt and I strongly suspect that someone was paid to make a lot "moral outrage" about that game to make it more popular than it deserves to be.

TheWesDude said:

put killable children in the us version and for the countries where its illegal put out a copy without children at all.

and then what happens now will happen. the majority of people in the countries where its illegal will buy their localized copy and the rest will get different country versions with the killable children.
1 - That sucked.
2 - Nowadays, it would probably be US version censored and other countries not (except maybe for Australia and Germany, fucking sissies)...
3 - Nobody cares about it as Fallout 3 is going to suck anyways.
4 - There probably won't be a modding toolkit, the way I see it. From what they've said, they are really paving the way to release a modding unfriendly game. Get ready.

Sorrow said:
Jidai Geki said:
After Manhunt 2's example, they have to be very careful indeed.
Hmm...
I just saw Manhunt and I strongly suspect that someone was paid to make a lot "moral outrage" about that game to make it more popular than it deserves to be.

I'm not so sure. When Hillary Clinton and the fundies are on the same ideological side it stands to reason whole universes can change.

I mean I can see the argument about how someone might trump the immorality (ala Vice City, which made it a huge success) to get more publicity, but I have the sneaking suspicion that "morals" is going to be another "hot-button topic" in the next election.

TheWesDude said:

That simply won't work any more. It's too high-profile for them to get away for that. It's also not a question of legality, as there's no law in the UK against child-killing in games (see Bioshock), but simply a question of taste and how the mainstream media will react. I swear, I hate nothing more than the mainstream media's retarded, ignorant bias against computer games, as it turns the public against them and creates political pressure to crack down on "immoral" features of games.

Well, mainstream media needs more players and needs to show more normal players.
What I hate about mainstream media is that they don't show the reality - they feed people with tragedies and sensation that are statistically insignificant.
Which is why games are shown in bad light - because they focus on them only when a gamer commits a crime.

Too bad no one wanted to ban Christianity, when that guy that wanted to be like Christ killed tens of people in Virginia Tech :evil: ...

The thing that bothers me about the mainstream media is their sheer ignorance about the gaming industry. They don't know the first thing about gaming in the slightest, yet they feel they're somehow qualified to report on it. A couple of years back, a teenage boy murdered a friend with a hammer (in the UK). There was a copy of Manhunt in the boy's room; both the police and the courts discounted it as a possible motive, but this didn't stop the tabloids from calling for the banning of all violent games.

The real question is, will killing children in Fallout make you want to go out and really kill children? Any rational person can see that, no, that will never happen, but there are enough knee-jerk reactionaries in influential positions to make life very difficult for developers should they choose to implement such a feature.

Actually not being able to kill children or administer groin hits kinda makes me wanna go out and kick a child in the nuts.

Jidai Geki said:
The thing that bothers me about the mainstream media is their sheer ignorance about the gaming industry. They don't know the first thing about gaming in the slightest, yet they feel they're somehow qualified to report on it. A couple of years back, a teenage boy murdered a friend with a hammer (in the UK). There was a copy of Manhunt in the boy's room; both the police and the courts discounted it as a possible motive, but this didn't stop the tabloids from calling for the banning of all violent games.
From what I heard in that case, the boy that got murdered owned the copy of Manhunt, not the murderer :D .

Jidai Geki said:
but this didn't stop the tabloids from calling for the banning of all violent games.
These creatures really need to be locked in a closed psychiatric hospitals, because they are dangerous for society.

Sorrow said:
Jidai Geki said:
but this didn't stop the tabloids from calling for the banning of all violent games.
These creatures really need to be locked in a closed psychiatric hospitals, because they are dangerous for society.
No, the tabloids' journalists do.

I'm talking about the tabloids' journalists :P .
Not to mention their custom of harassing artists and invading their private lives :/ .

It's not the tabloids, it the same people as the ones who got angry at the Carl's Jr./Hardee's "flat buns" commercials. people who are too retarded to understand that what is going on is not serious and are overprotective of their children.

Yeah, the tabloids pretty much just feed off the underlying fears of the majority that something will corrupt their perfect innocent children and that it's all probably the immigrants fault...

Like the time my local news did a story on the horrors of the Nintendo DS...

Fox 6: Did you know that children can use their DS to consort with pedophiles, if they givfe them their friends code AND are within a certain distance? DID YOU? DID YOU? DID YOU?!

generalissimofurioso said:
Yeah, the tabloids pretty much just feed off the underlying fears of the majority that something will corrupt their perfect innocent children and that it's all probably the immigrants fault...
Heh...
Have anyone of you met something like an innocent child?
From my experience, kids are vicious creatures.
That's why they like games like Manhunt or Carmageddon.

Wow. Tabloids? Politics? Mass-media? Quit being a bunch of dopey anarchist-wannabes you twats, that has nothing to do with the lack of child slaughter anyway. Bethesda can implement child killing and get away with it if they want to. Only they don't, cos it will probably cost 'em some effort, and some effort is not profitable enought. And frankly, we can't really blame them for that, I mean, Black Isle wanted to make some profit from Fallout too, only they decided to do it by making a damn good game.

Yeah, Bethesda could also make a decent fallout successor and get away with it if they want to. Only they don't, cos it will probably cost 'em some (brain) effort, and some (brain) effort is not profitable enough. And frankly, we can't really blame them for that, I mean, they wanted to make profit from Oblivion too, and they decided to do it by making a game that doesn't require a damn tiny bit of (brain) effort from the player...

How 'bout that?

slit said:
Wow. Tabloids? Politics? Mass-media? Quit being a bunch of dopey anarchist-wannabes you twats, that has nothing to do with the lack of child slaughter anyway. Bethesda can implement child killing and get away with it if they want to. Only they don't, cos it will probably cost 'em some effort, and some effort is not profitable enought. And frankly, we can't really blame them for that, I mean, Black Isle wanted to make some profit from Fallout too, only they decided to do it by making a damn good game.

Oh, boo-frikkin-hoo. If you're trying to justify lack of effort then it's big, fat PHAIL from the beginning.
"You know, they could make tb combat, they just don't want to. Can't blame em for that"

Back