Does Anyone Really Care About VR?

Are You Excited For VR Gaming?

• Total voters
I don't think it is worth giving up a keyboard, mouse and screen for VR until VR becomes as good as the Star Trek's holodeck.

I'm not at all interested in most first person games, and I don't see VR working for isometric cRPG's or strategy games. Maybe at some point there will be more possibilities for these kinds of games but at the moment I don't see why I would even bother with it.

What I'm kind of worried about is, when computer technology evolves, will that still leave room for old school kind of games with a topdown/isometric viewpoint or will everything in the future be shooters with VR goggles?

I hope not.

I'm not at all interested in most first person games, and I don't see VR working for isometric cRPG's or strategy games. Maybe at some point there will be more possibilities for these kinds of games but at the moment I don't see why I would even bother with it.

What I'm kind of worried about is, when computer technology evolves, will that still leave room for old school kind of games with a topdown/isometric viewpoint or will everything in the future be shooters with VR goggles?

I hope not.

I don't think you have to worry. We're still a long ways off from VR replacing current gaming. It's too bulky, too limited and a lot of people feel sick using it. The current VR fad will die off eventually and it'll be a while before the technology has improved enough that it will be the hot new thing again.

I'd like a headset for something like Elite Dangerous, or Eurotruck. Cockpit/driving games it would be great for. Other games, not so much.

I'd use a VR headset more for things like simulating a movie theater to watch things on. In that regard, I really dig the idea of VR.

I had the opportunity to give a try to the HTC Vive two days ago and that was an impressive experience.
I was skeptical about VR until then, but it really works well and has a gigantic potential. Not only for gaming, but for 3D artists, programmers, military, medecine, engineering etc. For artists too. I already see museums offering VR rooms, seemingly empty, but with the sculptures being in the "other dimension" so to speak.

Huge improvement over the Oculus Rift too. 120 frames per second, no blur sickness and really easy to use. It projects the real life walls in a discreet way, so that you don't hit anything while playing, too, which is nice. It doesn't feel like a prototype, but like a finished, working product.
As for isometric games, wait and see. It would work with Wasteland 2 or Satellite Reign, with the player floating above the team like a military drone. But it's clearly designed for first person mechanics, for obvious reasons.

I got an opportunity to try VR yesterday and after a good few hours let me just say that while I may have been a skeptic before, I am no longer. You really need to experience it to truly grasp what it is.
even more so with vive, never i experience any dizzi after i put the VR headset on. well, the current build of vive is quite bulky to be honest.
I still haven't tried VR but there are 2 games that apparently look AMAZING with the Rift and Vive:

1) Elite Dangerous
2) Euro Truck Simulator 2

Elite Dangerous apparently has the best VR available according to many people, and I can believe that - it's a game that seems like it was made for the VR experience. Plus you can just stay in your chair the whole time. However, VR is still quite new and is prohibitively expensive, and at the current price I don't want to spend that much money (not to mention buying a new GPU) just for 1 or 2 games even though they are probably life-changing experiences with VR.

I'll be waiting for the next generation of VR headsets before considering the purchase. Right now it's just too early and too expensive for me to dump that kind of money just for those 2 games.
I've tried VR before, and it's neat I guess.
But outside of helping Med students
Let's hope they're not learning from Surgeon Simulator...

Last edited:
I have no interest what-so-ever in VR, I find it just another potentially hurtful (to the experience) and at least semi-useless visuality gimmick; and I dearly hope that that shit doesn't start infecting and tainting the (very) few games out there that I might have some interest in.

The current VR fad will die off eventually and it'll be a while before the technology has improved enough that it will be the hot new thing again.
Elon Musk seem to be hell-bent on constructing brain implant to connect human brains and machines, he has founded company dedicated to this goal solely: www.neuralink.com

Good cyberpunk stuff is going on in San Fran, people with wires plugged to their heads and whatnot..

It's a nice gimmick to check out if you get the chance but I personally wouldn't spend money on it. Played a shooting game on it and it was fun but everything else either made me ill or I couldn't justify VR over normal gaming.

Well I am willing to give it a try as there is a Star Trek game coming for it, but I would not save up a lot with the purpose of buying a VR headset right now.
There are not enough titles for me right now that warrant such a purchase. Most of the games I play can't even use it.

It's probably not going to be the main thing for video games for a long while, but unlike earlier attempts at bringing VR to the people I think this time these things are going to stay. VR goggles are great for simulators that involve cockpits, and I'd love to play some games like that, but all in all I guess we'll have to wait and see what will come from it.
I'd love a VR MechWarrior game (didn't MechWarrior 2 support some early 3D goggle stuff? Glasstron?), and Descent and Conflict: Freespace, stuff like that.
But right now it's a gimmick, not going to get one anytime soon. Fun to play around with, I guess, but not really worth my money and time.

It's probably not going to be the main thing for video games for a long while, but unlike earlier attempts at bringing VR to the people I think this time these things are going to stay. VR goggles are great for simulators that involve cockpits, and I'd love to play some games like that, but all in all I guess we'll have to wait and see what will come from it.
I'd love a VR MechWarrior game (didn't MechWarrior 2 support some early 3D goggle stuff? Glasstron?), and Descent and Conflict: Freespace, stuff like that.
But right now it's a gimmick, not going to get one anytime soon. Fun to play around with, I guess, but not really worth my money and time.

Descent would be fucking awesome in VR.

For now, it's a fad. VR can't be truly realized in this era, and from what i've seen it's only compensating for many games' lack of authenticity.

Just like Fallout 4.

For now, it's a fad. VR can't be truly realized in this era, and from what i've seen it's only compensating for many games' lack of authenticity.

Just like Fallout 4.
Actually, I think the technology is about ready. The previous attempts like the Glasstron that I mentioned weren't technologically viable, but with the advent of OLED displays that are light and sharp and computers powerful enough to track head-movements without noticable lag, VR glasses are here to stay. Of course, we'd also need more touch control and a way to actually simulate movement. Omnidirectional treadmills exist, but they're still too expensive for the normal user. But with increased demand, they might actually go somewhere, please excuse the pun. It might actually end up being another fad, but I do think VR goggles are becoming mainstream now.

I think there is definitely more future with VR than with 3D or multiple K (4K, 8K etc...). The system really redefine the experience for movies or video-gaming.

Although, there isn't definitely not enough worthy content currently to warrant buying the tech, and making content for it seems quite a pain in the ass, so i doubt the transition will be quick and i don't think it will fully replace the classic screen.

I think there is definitely more future with VR than with 3D or multiple K (4K, 8K etc...). The system really redefine the experience for movies or video-gaming.

Although, there isn't definitely not enough worthy content currently to warrant buying the tech, and making content for it seems quite a pain in the ass, so i doubt the transition will be quick and i don't think it will fully replace the classic screen.
Really? Have you seen how much does it cost? Here is the usual comparison of several VRs https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/virtual-reality-headsets, in my opinion, the price is too high, yes first times the sensations are unusual, you are interested, but then quickly the neck and eyes begin to ache. If we are speaking about smth really extraordinary, then it is worth waiting for the sarcophagi full immersion. I do not know, I do not see the point in this VR technology it is too raw yet.

Back