Does Fallout...

Josan12 said:
And i LOVE the idea of using ammo as money. To me, that would be not only realistic, but FUN1!! :)

*dreams of remaking FO with ammo as money*

Kind of like how in the first Zelda game, it cost money to shoot arrows... But that's more like using money as ammo.

The thing is that in my opinion the firearms in Fallout do contribute to the overall atmosphere that set it apart from all other RPG's out there. Reduce their quantity and insert a bunch of mêlée weapons (crossbows, hatchets, swords)????....well then all you need is a bunch of mutated elves, and call the midgets dwarfs and have yourself a postapocalyptic fantasy RPG and suddenly have spears witch have +20 damage against supermutants :D.

nemo00 said:
The thing is that in my opinion the firearms in Fallout do contribute to the overall atmosphere that set it apart from all other RPG's out there. Reduce their quantity and insert a bunch of mêlée weapons (crossbows, hatchets, swords)????....well then all you need is a bunch of mutated elves, and call the midgets dwarfs and have yourself a postapocalyptic fantasy RPG and suddenly have spears witch have +20 damage against supermutants :D.

Harder to obtain, not less. Pretty much every city guard could have a gun and all merchants could sell them, but they must be hard to get at lower levels, thus becoming more valuable.

And I'm all for the different quality of the same weapon. And I want moar revolvers.

Josan12 said:
Well said, that man. Of course it is possible to make ammunition by hand. It's possible to make virtually anything in the PA world with enough time and determination. But this is not reality, people - this is a video game. And in a video game the most important question is is it fun? IMO, all other questions, including is it realistic? are secondary.

Well said that man too. That is one thing I really think devs need to look at a bit more perspectivly.

nemo00 said:

You have a very good point, but then again, most RPGs have 'magic' and mystical creatures. In fallout its based on science (fiction).

I think it would be totally possible to have them game with yes, less guns, and yes much harder to obtain - and find ammo for.

Of course dont think everyone should be dressed up in studded leather and be looking for a place called mordor. There would need to be a balence.

I had the idea of 3 sort of factions;

1st - the groups with crossbows, melee weapons, some basic rag-tag armours made from scavenged parts - like leather jackets, saftey gear, gothic style clothes, motorbike wear or whatever. They have the most numbers and make up most of the civillians and smaller towns in the wastes.

2nd - The men with guns. These guys are armed say half with guns, they have backup weapons as well of course, the other half is similar to the 1st section, having perhaps better melee weapons. They have better armour too of course, millitary kevlar, roit police gear, crafted metal armour - they make up the more organised more powerful players, stronger but much fewer in number.

3rd - The elite. People with the equivilant to combat and power armour. Very few in numbers but they pack guns as well as 'laser' melee weapons. Imagine long sword, now snap the blade in half, now replace that snapped off half of the blade with somthing which resembles a light sabre beam. You could have energy pikes, energy crossbows? all sorts. A fun alternative to energy weapons in a way.

I have a lot of ideas, unfortunatly I lack the artistic drawing ability to properly convey some of them. I might give it a go though.

Tycell said:
You have a very good point, but then again, most RPGs have 'magic' and mystical creatures. In fallout its based on science (fiction).

Which is part of the uniqueness of fallout

Tycell said:
I had the idea of 3 sort of factions;

1st - the groups with crossbows, melee weapons, some basic rag-tag armours made from scavenged parts - like leather jackets, saftey gear, gothic style clothes, motorbike wear or whatever. They have the most numbers and make up most of the civillians and smaller towns in the wastes.

2nd - The men with guns. These guys are armed say half with guns, they have backup weapons as well of course, the other half is similar to the 1st section, having perhaps better melee weapons. They have better armour too of course, millitary kevlar, roit police gear, crafted metal armour - they make up the more organised more powerful players, stronger but much fewer in number.

3rd - The elite. People with the equivilant to combat and power armour. Very few in numbers but they pack guns as well as 'laser' melee weapons(...)

With the exception of crossbows, big gun claim jumpers, and a lack of greater numbers of melee weapons...Isn't 90% of what you have described here the way fallout IS?

Tycell said:
Imagine long sword, now snap the blade in half, now replace that snapped off half of the blade with somthing which resembles a light sabre beam(...)

Hehe... :silenced:

Tycell said:
You could have energy pikes, energy crossbows? all sorts. A fun alternative to energy weapons in a way.

Well, you could, but how then will you explain it in game?, i mean, energy pikes and crossbows look too starwars-ish... there, they could have a place, no sweat, but in fallout, how do you explain the existence of a "plasma spear" or "laser pike" or "pulse machete"? a pre-war weapons developer who instead of dedicating their efforts to make, i don't know, a BFG plasma rocket launcher, preferred to make a pulse machete? or did tribals made it?...besides, an energy crossbow looks ironically more technically difficult to make than the very heavy micro fusion cell powered big gun plasma and laser rifles...

I remember a good Josh Sawyer quote about this subject:

I know this might seem crazy, but less ammo in the world also means less enemies using weapons with ammo. Why didn't Max get shot fifty times driving in and out of the refinery? Because out of all the raiders, only Humungus had one of the two or three guns in the movie. When he actually did fire that gun -- whoa, look out. Everyone else made due with crossbows, melee weapons, and their bare hands.

Fallout shouldn't be as bereft of ammunition as the Road Warrior, but ammunition should be a commodity -- something the player values, pays attention to, and spends accordingly.

When it comes to guns and ammo, Fallout is 10 and Mad Max is 1. I agree that the abundance of ammo is very strange. Fallout 2 started well, most people by the early game used melee weapons. Remember the gang battle? Half the gangers used spears, hammers and knifes.

But there is still a lack of non-firearms. Bows and Crossbows would do nicely in the post-nuclear wastelands, I think it was very strange to fight those crazy tribals in the area near Arroyo. Everyone had spears and knifes, ok, but WHERE are the bows and crossbows? The first time I found those tribals, I was scared because I thought I would be turned into The Amazing Pin Cushion-Man at any moment. But nope, somehow it seems the Post-Nuclear humans forgot how to make primitive weapons. Go figure.

x'il said:
Well, you could, but how then will you explain it in game?, i mean, energy pikes and crossbows look too starwars-ish... there, they could have a place, no sweat, but in fallout, how do you explain the existence of a "plasma spear" or "laser pike" or "pulse machete"? a pre-war weapons developer who instead of dedicating their efforts to make, i don't know, a BFG plasma rocket launcher, preferred to make a pulse machete? or did tribals made it?...besides, an energy crossbow looks ironically more technically difficult to make than the very heavy micro fusion cell powered big gun plasma and laser rifles...

I didnt say it had to be set in Fallout, but if I did have to work it into fallout you could say that China / Japan developed such technology. The super armour too, to give themselves elite fighting warriors who didnt have to worry about running out of ammunition and who could strike fear into the hearts of their enemies with their appearance and the way they used such different weapons.

When I first imagined the energy sword I thought of somthing allong the lines of this;

http://www.tinywarz.com/images/preview/energy_sword.jpg

Which to me just looks like a fancy ripper that takes extra batteries but I think my idea of a half normal sword (made of super strong alloy) and then the other half of the sword deploying into a glowing energy weapon which can melt through things is pretty cool.

As for the energy crossbows; why not? Rather than strings it could have energy beams and instead of bolts of iron it could fire bolts of energy.

Not so sure about an energy shield, why would you need one when your armour is liken to power armour.

Maybe its not meant for the Fallout world but still, I thought it was a pretty cool idea and made end game type enemies a bit more interesting than the usual "Bigger, shinier armour with more flash guns."

I mean just how do you take on an elite guywith double action points in hardened power armour with a super sledge, ripper and spear when all you have is a 10mm pistol and a few rounds? - Rhetorical.

You know it's not that hard to make ammo, so it's only about how much wear the guns would take and I do bet there would be ALOT of guns produced just before an invasion. It's actually quite easy to produce SMG's and other guns to, but the guns in Fallout seem either modern or pre-war. Nothing crude, which is weird.

I guess this was one of the few things F3 did better, no?
Except for the fact that you can find random guns and ammo in random places in F3 which is completely unrealistic so long after the nukes.

I see it two different ways.

There's the realistic lack of guns and ammo scenario, where the game would be pseudo-resident evil in terms of the amount of ammo received (you would take note of all your shots and whatnot).

Then there's the game balancing aspect. While they were making a game set in a bleak, dark future where, again, ammo and guns would be in short supply. Ultimately the problem I see here would be sporadic increases in ammo supply. At one part of the game, you'd have next to nothing. The next part, you'd have an abundance. Fallout 2 is somewhat bad about this, but the first one not as much. Even though it could possibly happen in a post-nuclear world, a lack of guns and ammo at certain time could cause balance issue.

However, at the same time, this lack of balance can be just as apparent when too much ammo and too many guns are given. Realistic or not, it can take away from challenge of the game.

I guess it just kind of depends on how you see it.

Back