EGM article on Fallout 3

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite

May 18, 2003
    Maybe, like mario's star.

They'd become invincible, then start glowing, stroboscope-style and doing somersaults to an 8-bit tune.

2. syllogz

syllogz Still Mildly Glowing

Jun 16, 2007
    Wow!
    Then all shroom-heads are going to buy this game.
    This will be the next goa-party sensation! :crazy:

3. Neptune

Neptune First time out of the vault

Apr 7, 2006
    More bullshit bad news. But did I really expect anything different?

However, the glowing ones seem somewhat cool, if only because the 'ghouls' in A Boy and his Dog were glowing monstrosities called... I think Screechers. So I kinda like it in that sense.

4. Atomic Cowboy

Atomic Cowboy Banned

May 5, 2006
    I can already see it - Fallout 4: Super Smash Party.

5. radnan

radnan A Smooth-Skin

Dec 1, 2006
    Well at least its not like Super Mario where you collect a number of coins and hidden bonuses ... oh wait ... bobble heads :( ... radio beacons :(

6. Section8

Section8 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 6, 2003
    See, this is why I fucking hate Bethesda. Do they really need to be so utterly transparent when they're ripping off other games? I've already got the "Cache Checker" achievement in Half-Life: Episode 2. Give me something new, you fucks.

Also, if it weren't for the powerlines, the shot of the daedric pack brahmin could be straight out of Oblivion. Literally.

And is it just me, or does the Dogmeat "random" encounter sound anything but?

7. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    No kidding seeing as you meet him early... Add to that the dog is pretty much invincible unless you let it die. "We don't want the player to have to worry about more than shooting things and watching the pretty graphics so, unless you unload into Dogmeat with a minigun, he isn't going to die." If dogmeat ends up being more powerful than your other ally who will be human or possibly goul then I'm gonna be pissed.

Ghouls have completely become zombies with rare exceptions, many have had their brains melted which resulted in them wandering around attacking and killing things. Bloody fucking hell, if you wanted to add zombies then add zombies and come up with some retarded reason, it's stupid and doesn't belong but at least it isn't completely changing pre-existing intellegent beings into brainless, bloodthirsty zombies with auras.

8. Bodybag

Bodybag Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Mar 7, 2008
    There were zombie-esque ghouls in Fallout, and some of them even glowed. Why are you acting like this is some sort of major departure from the original game?

There is no fucking reason not to have zombies in a post-apocalyptic sci-fi RPG; it's practically begging for it.

9. 13pm

13pm Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Apr 10, 2007
    The landscapes are nice, I like em more and more.
    But the gameplay things... glowing ghouls healing each other? zombies? that's just stupid.
    and yeah, I'm feeling more and more indifferent about this game

10. stefix

stefix First time out of the vault

Jan 14, 2008
    this is supposed to be the next gen eye catching graphics/ai :shock: .... so where is the shadow of the ghoul tho?... or 'cause is glowing :crazy: he dont has a shadow?

11. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    No, the glowing ones in the Necropolis Vault were definitely hostile.

And normal ghouls hated them, at least Set did

Dogmeat was fairly powerful in Fallout 1 too. Mostly because he had a good knock-down and you couldn't give your human companions decent armour.

So they all died, anyway. Which, to me, always made a lot of sense.

12. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Nah, the two at the entrance are attacking the player. The three in the "waterchip room" are not hostile from the beginning.

13. DocConrad

DocConrad First time out of the vault

Jul 8, 2007
    Many thanks, friend Killzig. Was digging around for those....

14. Section8

Section8 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 6, 2003
    And, the two at the entrance speak to you.

They also speak if you take the waterchip:

But hey, talking zombies would be confusing, it's better this way.

15. MrBumble

MrBumble Vault Fossil

Jan 17, 2006
    Is it just me or there wasn't an only screenshot released so far that screamed Fallout besides the Vault 101 ones ? Jeez...These look pretty bad :?

16. Jidai Geki

Jidai Geki It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 13, 2007
    They don't seem all that bad. In fact, the screenshots are infinitely preferable to the article itself and the new revelations.

The ghouls healed by radiation- eh, that's not that big a stretch given that some of the ghouls in Gecko lived in the reactor because it made them feel good. Stimpacks heal almost instantly, so although it's a bit of a departure it's not too bad.

The really stupid part of the article was the part concerning Dogmeat. How can a dog want vengeance? I'm presuming that the part about the Vault Dweller 'asking' him to join is just badly worded. Unless they've decided to make Dogmeat semi-sentient.

17. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    Well, I wouldn't put it past them.

They already stole a couple of jokes from the Simpsons, what's to stop them from implementing talking/evil dogs?

18. Mutoes

Mutoes Mildly Dipped

Feb 5, 2008
    Hmm i have liked how the pc and surroundings have looked like in these more recent screenshots. Dogmeat does look bit stiff in that new pic, but not really bothering much.
    Not much new info in this article though, its true that their 2-3 new screenshots per month policy just isnt enough to keep me exited anymore, wheres the video material from the game. And it should be even if it would be just 1 or 2 min long from somewhere else than the demo shown to gaming media. Im also intrested to hear what the audio side of the game will be like( music, voice acting and such).

19. Beelzebud

Beelzebud A Smooth-Skin

Mar 6, 2008
    Fallout 1 and 2 had Glowing Ones that attacked the player. I don't see what the fuss is about them here. I think some of you need to actually play Fallout and Fallout 2 again, because you've forgotten a few details...

Bethesda may be raping the franchise, but stick to criticizing them for things they're getting wrong.

Glowing Ones that heal each other from their radioactive aura is just dumb.

20. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Uh yeah, thanks for pointing that out again.

(in case you didn't note, it's already been pointed out and discussed)