Escape from New York gets new lease on life

So... this remake project has been revived.

Can't say I'm looking forward to it, remakes tend to suck most of the time, and EfNY being my all-time favourite movie doesn't help.

I hope they at least don't bastardize the soundtrack, the original had such a great score. They'll probably turn it into modern shit though.

Who knows? It might turn out to be good... :?

Re: Target demographics

TyloniusFunk said:
Since target demographics are 18-25 and R rated movies aren't generally seen by those younger than 15, you have to remake R rated movies at least every 10 years. You have to.

The main problem is not this. Oceans's Eleven was not a bad remake, rather than contrary, most people consider the new version better than the original and the spirit of the movie is the same.

The main problem is that the majority of the remakes targed the PG 13 audience, even if the movie was rated R.
So they strip the new version of everything that makes the original cool.

Assult on Precint 13th anyone?

The original movie had a scene of a young girl (10 years old at best) asking for an icecream and getting back a big f***ing shot in the chest!
From a Magnum .44!!!
Immortal! :cool:

[ ]'s

I think Ocean's 11 worked because no one really remembered the original- a Frank Sinatra/ Sammy Davis Rat Pack thing.

But I agree, remaking Escape from New York is a bad thing. The original was made at a time when crack had hit the streets, the homicide hit 2000 a year, the city was virtually bankrupt and white folks were fleeing ("white flight"). So the film made sense. Now?

Escape from LA was a sad remake and basically about the problem of religious conservativism taking over the US as counter to Hollywood and "California." Fun to watch but basically a silly movie.

Kurt Russel could pull it off because, at the time, he didn't take acting seriously and was just having fun with the part.

Remakes are awful. The reason why the industry does it is simple. Its a safer investment.

Movies that cost between $50- $100 million can, if poorly done, flop. Waterworld (not as terrible movie as a terrible price) or Heaven's Gate- an expensive and generally ugly looking film but not really as terrible (well, except for that strange rollerskating part) as it seems. There really is an interesting story about class relationships and the Johnson County War that is worth telling and its a piece of US history that a lot of people don't know. As a film, there is a lot of fiction but a lot of the range war is fairly well depicted. Camino did rely on a lot of historical text and the story is damn gritty- a bit like Deadwood made the western gritty and unpleasant.

welsh said:
The reason why the industry does it is simple. Its a safer investment.
Exactly. An most movie-goers are too ill-informed, stupid, or whatever to stay away even if it is inferior to the original version as long as there is enough marketing hype, CGI, or visual slickness.

welsh said:
Remakes are awful.
Dead on. In my opinion, the two main reasons they are awful:
1) They take away money, talent, and theater spots away from new, original stories that could be told on the screen.
2) They do a disservice to the legacy of the original classics when they are inferior in every way except for the most superficial ones.

As stated in a good Moviehole article on the subject of remakes:
About three-quarters of the films that are coming out this year are remakes of films I saw at the theatre in the 80s and 90s - "Clash of the Titans", "The Karate Kid", "A Nightmare on Elm Street", "Piranha", "Let Me In", "Red Dawn".

I would like to see some "good" cuthulu movie once ... not always remakes.

Though one should not forget that with some limits most movies even the better ones are more or less remakes of older ideas just told a bit different.

Its no coinsidence that Matrix has a lot of simililarities with another sci-fi movie which name I cant remember.

*edit I remember the name now it was Dark City (1998 film)

Dark City is a 1998 science fiction film directed by Alex Proyas. In the film, human inhabitants live in a city where the sun is not seen, and their lives are manipulated by alien Strangers studying humanity.

Or just think about Star Wars which is probably using the oldest content since the first stories have been told. Good vs Evil, Light vs Dark. Father against Son, etc. Its more or less a modern tale.

The exception to this rule is John Carpenter’s 1982 horror classic “The Thing”. It’s a remake of The Thing (from Another World) 1951. Both are excellent, but very different movies due to the periods they were made in.
Thing-0_1_.jpg

kurt-russell-john-carpenter-the-thing11.jpg

Oh those...

Well, those don't count. :D

I loved both of The Thing movies, though I do prefer Carpenter's version. :P Not sure if I would really put them in the remake category though, seeing as each movie is really quite different.

Reconite said:
Not sure if I would really put them in the remake category though, seeing as each movie is really quite different.
Reboot, reimagining, remake - it's just a word. What really matters is if the creators respect the heritage of the original and try to improve upon it in some substantial way. In that case they definitely did.

Also, in the case of The Thing they changed the title, which probably should be done in all remakes except perhaps the strictest of remakes (few changes in the script, almost shot for shot the same).

Reconite said:
Oh those...

Well, those don't count. :D

I loved both of The Thing movies, though I do prefer Carpenter's version. :P Not sure if I would really put them in the remake category though, seeing as each movie is really quite different.

well I think there is a difference between a simple remake and movie that is taking a story but just telling it differently. The thing is a good example for that.

A "simple" remake ... is more or less almos the same movie just with different actors most of the time shit actors though ... and thus it doesnt really help the movie to get forward. In no way.

I would not mind a new movie with a similar story to Totall recall for example, with similar action, better visual effects. But a simple remake ? Thats more a sign of people trying to earn money but not having any ideas present.

Your bones are sucked dry by the wasteland.

I would love to see a sequel done with both John Carpenter and Kurt Russel. It would be so much better than a remake.

victor said:
I really liked the new Dawn of the Dead, from 2004.

So did I, it was a very fun movie. It was well received as well, most of the complaints come from Romero purist who would never accept that a remake could be anywhere near as good as the original.

Back