Eurogamer interviews Pete Hines

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Eurogamer took the opportunity to ask Pete Hines a few questions in Leipzig. As usual per Eurogamer, it's a good interview:<blockquote>Eurogamer: Why exactly did you decide to take up the challenge of a Fallout game in the first place? Was there a really a burning desire to work with the franchise?

Pete Hines:
That's honestly how it happened. It was just us sitting around talking about doing something else besides the Elder Scrolls, something RPG-ish, and wondering, what could we do? We had discussions and agreed collectively - seeing as nobody's doing anything with it, if we could get Fallout, we would love to do a Fallout game, because it's both very different from Elder Scrolls and something that a bunch of us really loved as a game and thought we could do well as a franchise. We were sitting there thinking we wanted to play another Fallout game, and if nobody else was going to make one then we might as well do it ourselves. So we did; we went up to our president and our senior management and said, look, can you guys make this happen? And they knew some folks at Interplay and had conversations and worked out how to get it. We're very excited and honoured to be carrying on this franchise.
(...)
Fallout is very different. There are much fewer quests, and every quest has a number of different ways to complete it, and based on how you do that quest you can open up or lock off things, based on your choices, that will no longer be available or will only be available based on what you've done. We actually monitor your karma as you go through the game based on the choices you're making, and whether you're good, evil or sort of in the grey area, you actually have different gameplay; so for example, what characters accompany you differs based on where your karma is. You also get titles, so like Scourge of the Wasteland if you're this really evil bastard and blew up Megaton [a town near the beginning of the game which you can choose to detonate, or not], and so we'll have some stuff that will be pegged towards how you're playing the game. You'll actually have to replay the game if you want to unlock all the Achievements, you'll have to take another other path where there's other stuff to unlock. Nothing's set in stone, of course, but that's the general idea that we have; it's not going to be just one playthrough to get it all.
(...)
Eurogamer: Speaking of which, did you ever consider remaking the original?

Pete Hines:
No. There's a lot of folks that think we're borderline suicidal for attempting to make another game as it is, but going back and trying to make the first one... yeah, that would definitely be pitchforks and swarming the gates. We'll let those games sit in everyone's memory, benefit from that nostalgia, and stand on their own; I don't think they need to be redone, they're great games on their own. You know, we've taken the same approach to the Elder Scrolls stuff. People are like 'Oh, you know what? You should bring Arena back and put it on Xbox Live Arcade!', and we're like, you know what, it was what it was, great for 1994, but we're not about to go back and redo all our stuff. We prefer to move forwards.

Eurogamer: So how have the infamous Fallout fans reacted so far to what you've shown of the game?

Pete Hines:
Well, the fan community is actually rather large so it depends what segment we're talking about [laughs]. Obviously we're fans - that was, like I said, the impetus to go in and get it in the first place. You know, I think if you're really interested in playing another Fallout game in that sort of world, then hopefully you'll give it a chance, but there is a segment of our fanbase - I say 'our', I mean the Fallout fanbase - that has basically decided back in 1994 that we're doing it all wrong and that they're going to hate our game whatever we do. I mean if you have made up your mind and said 'Here's my specific list of things that my game must have', and we're not meeting your list, then you're probably not going to like the game. But you know, we're OK with it, we're used to it by now - the Elder Scrolls fanbase is a very global and very large community that has very strong opinions about what they want, so we appreciate that folks are very passionate about certain franchises, certain series. They like what they like and that's what they want. But for everybody else who doesn't fall into that category, who are willing to judge with their own eyes and figure out whether or not they like what it is we're doing, it's been really good.

Eurogamer: Why do you think that people are so obsessive about Fallout?

Pete Hines:
More than anything, it was really different. If I had to guess, I'd say that a big part of the draw was the darkness of it. It was pretty... brutal isn't the right word, but it was pretty dark in contrast to everything else out there - I mean, it had a dipswitch in the settings allowing you to turn the violence up. I think that's a big part of it, it was so much more adult and mature than everything else in terms of its content. A lot of folks are still very loyal to that, to that kind of experience, and very much want to play another one.

Eurogamer: So do you see Fallout as a continuing franchise for Bethedsa?

Pete Hines:
Absolutely. We didn't go acquire the rights just to make one game. We fully intend for this to be a success, and as long as we don't fuck it up and we make a good game, we think it will be.</blockquote>I can't believe he just literally said we were going to hate Bethesda's Fallout 3, 3 years before Fallout 1 was made. That's just...wow. Additionally, Mtv's G-Hole has an interview up.

Link: Fallout 3 interview on Eurogamer.
Link: Fallout 3 interview on Mtv G-Hole.

The ending of the Eurogamer interview offers one succulent hint:<blockquote>Fallout 3 isn't out until next Autumn (which feels like about seventy-three years away), but we'll apparently get something playable in the new year - although Pete informs us that this is the last we'll see of Fallout 3 for a good few months. In the meantime you can read up on the game so far in Eurogamer's preview, and perhaps hand-fashion a countdown clock to help pass the time.</blockquote>Spotted on Gamebanshee. And thanks to Sigoya.

Pete Hines said:
but there is a segment of our fanbase - I say 'our', I mean the Fallout fanbase - that has basically decided back in 1994 that we're doing it all wrong and that they're going to hate our game whatever we do. I mean if you have made up your mind and said 'Here's my specific list of things that my game must have', and we're not meeting your list, then you're probably not going to like the game.
wow, awesome PR move!

Eurogamer: Why do you think that people are so obsessive about Fallout?

Pete Hines: More than anything, it was really different. If I had to guess, I'd say that a big part of the draw was the darkness of it. It was pretty... brutal isn't the right word, but it was pretty dark in contrast to everything else out there - I mean, it had a dipswitch in the settings allowing you to turn the violence up. I think that's a big part of it, it was so much more adult and mature than everything else in terms of its content. A lot of folks are still very loyal to that, to that kind of experience, and very much want to play another one.

Obviously we're fans

Does not compute. Error. Error.

I mean the Fallout fanbase - that has basically decided back in 1994 that we're doing it all wrong and that they're going to hate our game whatever we do

That kinda reminds me of something I've read at the beth f3 forum, lemme search...

EDIT:
Can't find it right now but that sounds pretty similiar to an ironic poster statement at BethForum that meant something like "Hey, I've decided to hate Betshedas Fallout 3 back in 1998"

This is a clear demonstration, how Pete Hines gives longer, more complex answers to the right questions, compared to the Q&A with SuAside and Brother None...

If you want answers, ask what they want you to ask...

To me comments from bethesda, like this, seem to mean: --You supported a game thru the years and when it was created... nice of you.... but your unneeded now, we have plenty of elder scrolls pc/console fans now, so please go away.--

Makes me dislike the production of the game even when I see things I like. I'll buy it, but I think it will be like Bioshock, finished in a week and with limited replay value.
That is sad.

Pete Hines: More than anything, it was really different. If I had to guess, I'd say that a big part of the draw was the darkness of it. It was pretty... brutal isn't the right word, but it was pretty dark in contrast to everything else out there - I mean, it had a dipswitch in the settings allowing you to turn the violence up. I think that's a big part of it, it was so much more adult and mature than everything else in terms of its content. A lot of folks are still very loyal to that, to that kind of experience, and very much want to play another one.

I think I've concluded I like Pete the most out of the F3 team....

Wait, did I just say that?

there is a segment of our fanbase - I say 'our', I mean the Fallout fanbase - that has basically decided back in 1994 that we're doing it all wrong and that they're going to hate our game whatever we do.

Back in 1994 I didn't even know computers existed :cry:

Eurogamer: So do you see Fallout as a continuing franchise for Bethedsa?

Pete Hines: Absolutely. We didn't go acquire the rights just to make one game.
no ...nooo....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!

...as long as we don't fuck it up
and who is going to decide whether you have fucked it up or not !?

People haven't thought about it a lot, but with the purchasing of the franchise, there's a good chance that the lip service they're providing to the originals now will be gone in part 4, making it completely unrecognisable as Fallout

It gets better- I knew in 1988 that Daikatana will be crap.
We (Fallout fans) are awesome, huh? With all these super powers that allow us to see in the future.

GammaRay said:
Can't find it right now but that sounds pretty similiar to an ironic poster statement at BethForum that meant something like "Hey, I've decided to hate Betshedas Fallout 3 back in 1998"
probably a pun on this quote in the Q&A:
Pete Hines @ NMA Q&A said:
The problem is however that they've had years to think about what they wanted and create a view of what Fallout 3 should be that could never be possible today. They're still stuck 8 years back in their views of Fallout 3. It simply wouldn't work.

Poor Pete. Between trying to make people they invented Fallout (so now Fallout's fanbase is their fanbase, eh?) and applauding themselves for what a great sequel they're making, he got confused. :(

It also makes me worry that they will not release usable modding tools to prevent being shown up. Things such as remaining faithful to the setting with good writing and design etc. are not too much to ask for.

let me say booya

by the way
Eurogamer: Speaking of which, did you ever consider remaking the original?

Pete Hines: No. There's a lot of folks that think we're borderline suicidal for attempting to make another game as it is, but going back and trying to make the first one... yeah, that would definitely be pitchforks and swarming the gates. We'll let those games sit in everyone's memory, benefit from that nostalgia, and stand on their own; I don't think they need to be redone, they're great games on their own. You know, we've taken the same approach to the Elder Scrolls stuff. People are like 'Oh, you know what? You should bring Arena back and put it on Xbox Live Arcade!', and we're like, you know what, it was what it was, great for 1994, but we're not about to go back and redo all our stuff. We prefer to move forwards.

nice point, I agree, positively
It will be a great game (f3) but hey it doesn't preserve the same exact style, has per the Pol on rpgwatch "I will wait and see"

Same BS as always. If you're open minded and cool, you like what Bethesda is doing with FO3. If you're closed minded and stuck in the past, then you hate what Bethesda is doing. Fallout fans had their minds made up they were going to hate FO3 3-4 years before FO1 was released? Weird. Guess he pulled that out of the same region of his body he pulled the 4-pixel (later amended to 2-pixel) chair argument.

Pete Hines said:
So do you see Fallout as a continuing franchise for Bethedsa?

Pete Hines: Absolutely. We didn't go acquire the rights just to make one game. We fully intend for this to be a success, and as long as we don't fuck it up and we make a good game, we think it will be.

That's a big IF...

ha ha..thats just funny! I didnt discover Fallout until 2000

Didnt know who Bethesda was until they bought the licence!

Back