Evil = Kill Everything?

DwayneGAnd

Look, Ma! Two Heads!
I've read that some people have played the games where they do a 'kill everything run'. As in wiping out entire towns, killing everyone, regardless of whether they are good or bad.

Not including the Raiders in the Raider Base in Fallout 2, the only town I've ever wiped out in that game during one playthrough was Vault City (and damn did it ever feel good!), and I was playing an evil dimwit. I read on the Evil Playthrough text for Fallout 2 on the gamefaqs site that killing everyone is mainly for evil stupid characters. One time I played an evil karma character, I wiped out the Shi in San Francisco, everyone at the docks, and even the tanker vagrants, (this was the part of the game where I got most of my evil karma during the game, but not the Hubologists.)

Now I know that there aren't all that many evil quest in Fallout 1, but much more in Fallout 2. Much of the negative reputation I got was from killing off the Blades for Zimmerman in Fallout 1 and wiping out the Brotherhood. But, I doubt that wiping out the Brotherhood is necessary for an evil run.

Has anyone ever tried this kind of playthrough? Is killing everyone you meet how you play an evil character. I am considering doing this kind of playthrough as it is a new experience. I would really appreciate if people could share their own experience with this playthrough and some tips to pull it off.

Random bandits, highwaymen etc. all give 5 positive karma. You might want to consider running away from such encounters.

There are many fun quests as an evil character though. Although it takes some planning. Joining the slavers right away in the Den locks you out of several other quests where you could potentially ruin peoples lives. Best to join them later in the game. After you sold Sulik in to slavery or extracted the brains from some of your companions for example :-).

Last edited:
I've decided that there will be two separate evil playthroughs: one for where you don't kill everybody and one where you do. However, in both playthroughs, I'll be holding off on stacking up the evil karma until after I gain access to the Wright Quests or even the GECK in Vault 13. Certain evil quests that are difficult to do when they first become available such as attacking the Slags at the Ghost Farm, killing Xarn at Navarro, etc, will be postponed until later. Also, certain quests that give you good karma can be worth doing, especially early in the game as you need the experience, and in the Restoration Pack, getting the kids off the Den streets can be helpful as well.

Enjoy, playing evil is hilarious in Fallout 2. Just watch out for the bounty hunters and don't forget to dismember the mr. Nixon doll.

My very first FO playthroughs, I would consider kill-everyone as a way to just "clear" the entire game, and scrape up the last of easily available XP, but I quickly got bored with it, so... that's the extent of it. I also recall a game auto-crashing after killing some people in Klamath, even upon reloads.

Enjoy, playing evil is hilarious in Fallout 2. Just watch out for the bounty hunters and don't forget to dismember the mr. Nixon doll.

But wouldn't it be better to give the doll to Curtis? Then you'll have an easier time getting a wrench to give to Valerie.

I always disliked Karma in Fallout games for this reason. The only way to consistently get bad karma is to act like a cartoon villain, but also avoid killing bad people who are shooting at you.

I like the bounty hunters that come after you, the wanted posters that come up, and the fact that some companions will just ignore you altogether, and key characters will treat you differently.

But I feel like that could have been done with carefully used flags, so certain characters are marked as important and you become a wanted criminal across the wastes for killing them, or just murdering people for no reason flags you as a murderer.

Hell, if you're a child-killer you get all the evil responses by default, same with slaver I think. A slightly more fleshed out version of that could replace karma altogether.

But wouldn't it be better to give the doll to Curtis? Then you'll have an easier time getting a wrench to give to Valerie.
Playing a good character generally yields better rewards. An evil playthrough isn't about maximizing rewards. Besides, you can bee-line to Redding and pick up a wrench and tool for free.

I always disliked Karma in Fallout games for this reason. The only way to consistently get bad karma is to act like a cartoon villain, but also avoid killing bad people who are shooting at you.
Yeah, the karma system is binary, I'm not fond of it either. It would be better if they had something like a faction system, where certain people would like you more or despise you depending on your actions.

I see killing everyone as something separate from the "evil playthrough" (side note: never did a straight up evil playthrough- even if I roleplayed a character with negative Karma, I didn't see much sense in doing every single evil act. Why would a greedy mercenary waste time giving drugs to kids?)

For me killing everyone is a challenge- I play Unarmed only, low Intelligence and Charisma, Bloody Mess and Jinxed.

It's a nice test of your knowledge of the game. Where to go first? How to spend limited skill points? How to kill every single character (special encounters, quest NPCs, Carlson)?

Back