Fallout 1 unfair combat

At level 12 with unarmed, I defeated the Master fairly easily just by punching his eyes, like some eye-hating maniac. Fortunately, a lot of the Super Mutants that came in behind me would kill each other by missing me and hitting each other.

Lou (that's the lieutenant mutant, right?) was a lot harder simply because he seemed to always get critical hits that did at least 200 damage. At first I thought it was a scripted fight that you had to lose. I kept trying, though, and eventually he'd do small enough damage for me to survive (I think my HP was around 110) and I managed to defeat him, though I was constantly scared of another ridiculous crit.

Oh good thing somebody updated this thread, because I wanted to say I killed the guys in Oldtown a few days ago with a Level 3 character after trading all my stuff to Jake for Combat Armor and used a Hunting Rifle I got from a random encounter battle. It's actually pretty easy as long as you have Psycho and a decent Small Guns skill.

'nuff said.

Export said:
Fortunately, a lot of the Super Mutants that came in behind me would kill each other by missing me and hitting each other.
This kind of stuff is way awesomer if you have Jinxed. If you've never built a character around the Jinxed trait, I HIGHLY recommend doing so. Make sure you have 10 AGI and 10 LCK as soon as you can, and keep your AC high by getting good armor, and whatever weapon skill you focus on, get it around 100% as soon as you can. There's nothing more satisfying than getting two critical targeted shots to the eyes per round, while your enemies fry their ammo and blow up their weapons ;)

Export said:
Lou (that's the lieutenant mutant, right?) was a lot harder simply because he seemed to always get critical hits that did at least 200 damage.
Yes, for an unarmed dude, the burst weapons are a worse nightmare. There is one rule described in the manual: if two opponents are staying on an adjacent hexes, in case of a successful burst shot, all the bullets will hit the target.
That damned Lieutenant is wielding a laser gatling; it's a 25 shots in one single burst. Hell, even the Psycho is useless, because the laser does not an impact damage, but a thermal.

First time with Lou - critical.
Second time with Lou - critical.
Third time with Lou - I kill him (I'm happy), but a mutant standing nearby kills me - critical.
My fist flyes towards the screen.
Fourth time with Lou - critical.
Fifth time - Victory.

Annoying, but fun.
But Master was more annyoing to me - because I was out of meds, and was lazy to load previos save/go buy meds, so that battle was very...irritating, to say at least (angry german kid :D).
And just like with Lou, once I killed Master, mutants that spawn behind killed me. I remember that with my Hardened PA/Turbo Plasma energy weapons build I couldn't kill Master. In the end I used Pulse Grenades, and Turbo Plasma for Mutants.
Couldn't believe how easy that was...

Did you guys didn't get the critical when enemy loses combat turn ?
Master didn't hit me , not even once , no turn for him to move or breathe . I punched him to death literally , left and right bots didn't get to be aggressive towards me and stayed still . Even the Mutant helper he called as a scripted scene didn't get to move an inch , just spawned and stayed there .
Lou got killed from one attack , it was a little dumb considering he's quite powerful ...
Deathclaws tend to do "magical" critical hits to the point where every hit becomes like that for no apparent reason even if you have Hardened Power Armor .

Deathclaws have a +15 or +20% critical chance modifier - essentially several ranks of More Criticals. Aliens and fire geckos similarly have +10-20% modifiers. F2 NPCs also get nice bonuses at higher levels.

Fortunately, nothing in the game has a 'better criticals' modifier; there are instant-death player critical hits in the top level of the table.

Oh yeah, deathclaws. Toughest opponent in all Fallout games for me was Mother 'claw in F1. She isn't that tough, but on my first playthrough I had a bad build for a character, so that battle was very frustrating for me. That frustrating that I broke my mouse to pieces...

Another thing is to take advantage of accident shots. A couple days ago I got all four of the 'captors' killed with a level 1 character wearing no armor.

1) Open door and let one of them take a shot
2) RUN
3) Once you're near the cops to the northeast, keep running
4) Eventually they'll miss and hit a cop, and it's just a matter of time from there :evil:

Even though I think parts like that are frustrating! That does not mean the whole turn-base system of Fallout is unfair.

Back