Fallout 1 unfair combat

DarkCorp said:
Black Feather said:
Yeah get the Hardened Power Armor and the Turboplasmarifle, put some pts in Energyweapons. Everything will be turned to jelly before they even get close to you.

Oh yeah. To get the quest to save the initiate you have to first gain access to the BoS bunker. That means going to the glow which also has a suit of power armor inside of it if I remember correctly.
It does not. At least three combat armors in the Glow but no PA. There are only three ways to get PA in the first game, all are within the brotherhood. There is a way to upgrade the PA in another town but only in the BOS bunker can you get PA(if I recall correctly, can't remember if there was one in the endgame areas but at that point you are 95% through the game anyways)

To the dudes who are eq-happy: If you play the game just to get badass eq and don't give a rats ass about the quests and characters, if your goal is to just go on a raging murder spree, you might as well just edit the V13 cave map to put all the best eq on the ground, save you the trouble of actually playing.

DarkCorp said:
Black Feather said:
Yeah get the Hardened Power Armor and the Turboplasmarifle, put some pts in Energyweapons. Everything will be turned to jelly before they even get close to you.

Oh yeah. To get the quest to save the initiate you have to first gain access to the BoS bunker. That means going to the glow which also has a suit of power armor inside of it if I remember correctly.
Technically there is a suit of PA in the Glow, but it's sealed around a corpse and unlootable.

I tended to just buy the combat shotgun and a few grenades and really hope Ian doesen't shoot me in the back.

Faceless_Stranger said:
Black Feather said:
Amen :mrgreen:
Wusses.

DarkCorp said:
Black Feather said:

There's no PA in Glow, but one can be obtained in the BH before saving the initiate: just fix the broken suit on level 3. I see no sense in trying to confront those guys before getting the quest from Talus, and that means one should always fight them with AT LEAST the Plasma Rifle (Glow) and the Brotherhood C. Armor.

Unless you're playing mr. lawfull good white knight hero who noses in any trouble without even being asked for help. ("you" refers to the op, not you guys above)

Black Feather said:
What? OP doesn't seem to manage it without.
As several above have said, this combat doesn't need 'uberbezt' gear to complete... IIRC, I usually could do it with a Sniper Rifle and/or Combat Shotgun, and a few Plasma Grenades (those are awesome since a few of the guys are close to each other :twisted: :clap: ) Make sure you have a couple NPCs, too, although that's kind of a no-brainer with any combat in the game. They don't help a whole lot in this combat (blocking the door etc, bastards) but never hurts to have friends. If you're a go-it-alone type player, make sure you have good chance of criticals, good armor (Combat), and do Targeted shots and Plasma Grenades, you should be gravy. Takes a bunch of tries and it's a tough combat for sure, but it's definitely doable with mid-game equipment and early-to-mid-game character level.

Also, they can always just change Combat Difficulty to Wimp ;)

This combat was the place where Dogmeat was killed on my first playthough. It made me so sad... so then I murdered all of them mercilessly in my other playthroughs. 8-)

IIRC the reason these guys were so tough was because you weren't supposed to fight them during your first, low-level, visit to Hub. As for FO1 combat in general, depending on your character's build, it can actually be so easy it's ridiculous...Skill vs XP cost is linear, with high IN and Small Guns tagged I usually had 150+ SG at that point...just popped out from behind a corner and back, and aimed for the eyes...

RE FO2 bounty hunters, 100-ish sneak lets you pick your fights at will (hit A while encounter loading - click sneak - get the ffff away from them), could be called a bug exploit but opponents otherwise always getting the first turn isn't "fair" or realistic either... Really really really hated the lvl 21+ (or was it 18?) variety, the bastards pretty much made me wear power armor (which I hate too...). With sneak you can usually kill'em 1 or 2 at a time with nothing more than a 44 and combat leather jacket...

I remember how hard the fight was for me too on my first playtrough, and I still love it because of it. These new wimpy FPS' where the only challenge comes from the cheating AI are just lame compared to the true challenge in FO, which actually requires some tactics to win. Just shoot them through the window, let them run to you, and blast them with a combat shotgun or the .223 pistol, aiming to the eyes. Chances of winning aren't 100 %, but high anyway, and it's a quite rewarding feeling when you win them.

bmaninbama said:
Combat in Fallout 1 is completely unfair.
Yup, a Vault Dweller wielding a supersledge + perk "Bonus HtH Attacks" at level 6, that's definitelly unfair to the poor wastelanders. :)
When your character is well balanced and well armed, nothing can stop you in the FO1. (Well, maybe the Master's Lieutenant can. Damned lasergatling!)

edit:
Use called shots, aim for heads and eyes. When one of the opponents will be knocked down, shoot the other. You can use stimpacks and drugs during the fight, don't forget!

Called shot to teh nuts!!!111

DGP001_500.jpeg

Nah but seriously. Setting the difficulty to easy is more whimpish than getting PA.

The baddies are pretty damn strong, but with some luck and tactics they're manageable. I always kill them as soon as possible so I can get PA as soon as I reach the Brotherhood :D

Combat in Fallout1 is unfair? So is life. :roll: Seriusly people F01 and F02 is not difficult at all when you use tactics and/or wait untill your PC is leveled up and well armed. This quest was 100% optional there was no reason to rush it even the PA can be obtained the other way.

valcik said:
You can use [...] drugs during the fight, don't forget!
Ahaha, I totally forgot about Psycho. If you ever have a hard time with combat, use a few of those puppies and you'll be 90% damage resistant. Boing.

Makes me think of a friend who for one play-through
just took melee weapons. I wonder how this fight went for him.
Guess he used more quickloads then other do in their entire life. :-)

MurkyShadow said:
Makes me think of a friend who for one play-through
just took melee weapons. I wonder how this fight went for him.
Guess he used more quickloads then other do in their entire life. :-)
IIRC, the key is to use Super Sledge and get criticals, so you can knock out an enemy or two each round. Takes a few levels to get to that point, though, of course.

bmaninbama said:
Combat in Fallout 1 is completely unfair. With the turn-based system, if you are outnumbered and your opponents have guns, you are dead. It doesn't matter how much armor you have either.

I should be able to rescue the Brotherhood guy in old town by myself easily. My armor is better, my weapons are better. However, I go in there and throw a frag grenade, killing 1, maybe 2 of the guards. I run outside the building and around the corner to complete my turn. All of the remaining guards follow me outside and proceed to slaughter me with no way to stop it. They all get multiple turns and I can't defend myself until it's my turn.

In Fallout 3, I would not have this problem. I would be able to easily take out all of the guards using VATS or run if the battle went sour. Not in Fallout 1.

For all of you who say the battle system in Fallout 3 sucks or is unfair, you don't know what you're talking about. I feel like I truly rule the wasteland in Fallout 3. In Fallout 1, I only rule the wasteland if its one-on-one.

I punched them to death and Dogmeat ate their balls at level 6 . With a couple of game reloadings .

You can't use VATS that much in FO3 to kill 5 or more enemies , not enough AP . Also in Fallout 1 they tend to do criticals more than in FO3 on you .

And you rule wasteland with HtH evade , Bonus HtH attacks , Better Criticals , Slayer , 10 AP , 16 sequence , Dogmeat with patch , Power Fist and Hardened Power Armor . And 100% speech . I also soloed 3 deathclaws at the same time to get Slayer perk . They did kick the hell out of me for sure but :)
I am become death .

Or did i dream when i punched Mariposa Liutenent to death in a single hit ?
No , he died because "death was instant" or "his spleen is now clearly visible" .
Come on FO3 , try and make some of that .

Now before raging for FO3 , i completely understand guys that only played Bethesda's Fallout . Difficulty is not the same , and there is more to games before . Use tactic more , if you can't do something now return later . And level the right skills and the right perks . You can't be all , energy , big guns , small guns , melee , unarmed at the same time .
But you can take One Hander , small guns and unarmed and still punch and kill with the right pistol . That's just an example .
Also whoever said Charisma is good as 1 should go ahead and kill himself . That's basically a "weapon" skill if you know how and when to use it . Try on Master :)

What the hell? I find Fallout 1 really easy. I completed it using only HtH at level 12. As for that room the thread starter was talking about, I walked into that room to rescue the BoS guy and killed everyone easily with unarmed combat (with a power fist, though). I didn't have power armour on, I think it was the combat armour - the green one that isn't leather armour. I only really die from the odd critical hit that does more damage than my max HP - the lieutenant mutant guy loves to do them... Fallout 2 seems to be a lot harder, critical misses also come up at a rate approaching that of Arcanum.

Fallout 3, I've noticed, seemed to have the problem (at least for me) where the tougher enemies seemed to soak up bullets to a ridiculous degree. I'll unload my most powerful rifle into them with all the effectiveness of spitting into a bonfire.

Fallout 1 & 2 aren't really hard.
I find some parts of these games hard because I always try to keep all of my companions alive...which was often a problem in F1, especially during bigger battles, that really take up some time; for example, in Adytum. Sure, you can tell companions to leave you alone, but then it's little boring if you ask me.

Generally, combar isn't hard, but it can be very frustrating when you get a critical that blows your brains out from a mutant that has 5HP left etc.

Combat with Master was frustrating for me on my first playthrough, but when I look back at it, it wasn't that hard. It's just that I', a man easily frustrated, so I lost my nerve at first.
Many people complain that battle with Lou is hard - I find it rather easy. And fun. More fun that battle with Master.

Back