[Fallout 1] What traits/perks/etc are useless or unbalanced?

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Sduibek, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Sduibek

Sduibek Creator of Fallout Fixt Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
    Thread title length is limited so of course append "in your opinion" to the question. :P

Anyway I'll do my best to "fix" any applicable ones via upcoming versions of my mod. Keep in mind some of them will require code edits to the exe, something I'm not able to do yet until I learn Assembly and brush up on my C++. But mostly the learning Assembly part.

^ However, some of them I believe I can work around that via some Global Variable and script-editing trickery, so post away!

Cheers 8-)

2. Dude101

Dude101 Vault Fossil
    Modder

Aug 3, 2005
    http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/fallout.html#char

3. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Oh, the guides! I should have thought of those, being that they're in my sig :P

Thanks!

4. Per

Per Vault Consort Staff Member Admin

Apr 1, 2004
    Those should not be accepted uncritically, though - I still get people mailing me about Awareness not being good because it doesn't have any mechanical benefit, or Skilled not being bad because A MILLION SKILL POINTS.

5. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Heh, yeah. People are fun like that.

Personally there was a number of years wherein ALL my characters created had the Skilled & Gifted combo. I totally didn't want to play without it. But these days I like variety or/and more Perks or/and other play styles so it's not the case any more.

I personally always pick Awareness, so I can see why someone would question your opinion on that. Because of the ambiguity of weapon looks (laster pistol for example) and variability in monster HP, I like to know what I'm up against. This usually applies most early game, and late game (Super Mutant roamers). EDIT: Ohhhh shit! I'm doing the same thing as the above paragraph! :shock: Looks like I'll be rolling my next few characters without Awareness...

But, eh. It's kind of hilarious that they take the time to send you an email when it's obvious it's an opinion versus not something stated as absolute mathematical superiority or whatever.

-------------------------------

Educated et al: Causing these Perks to also add [x] number of generic skill points would be ridiculously easy to script. Granted it breaks the RP feel a bit, but they would become more useful if for example educated gave its usual bonus and 30 SP right off the bat. and maybe something like 10 SP from each of the others in addition to the specific boost. Also I apologize if this is stated and I missed it, but does the game treat it as *actual* Skill Points, or does it add a straight percentage?

Empathy, Cult of Personality: these can be tweaked easily as well. The Copypasta into four hundred threads is a pain in the ass but doesn't really take that long, all things considered. As above it's just a math thing really -- adding X extra points in your favor with reaction/speech/whatever

Flower Child: Personally I'd drop the addiction length even further because using chems doesn't always suck ;) But these kind of things are debatable because people would probably bitch that it became broken or something. [Then again, that's what we have optional checkboxes in installers for :D]

Actually I think almost all of these can simply be boosted mathematically by either modifying existing script checks, or adding global variables, or adding new script checks.

I have a thread somewhere here about changing the Night Version perk and of course there was doubt/complaint that it was changed too much, but that can be changed as well.

This.. actually could be quite a bit of fun. I think I'll do the work on these at some point :)

6. Per

Per Vault Consort Staff Member Admin

Apr 1, 2004
    Well, probably many of them figure they have a point and would want me to add it to the guide, which I sometimes do.

So you know how Night Vision works technically? I have this list of things I would want to get sorted out in detail for the next Fo1 (and 2) guide update, and I haven't been able to keep track of all the engine exploration efforts.

7. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    From what I could tell, Night Vision will affect %ToHit for both the player and monsters.

The actual messing around with light values is described here http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=867063#867063

It was interesting that going from an extra 49 to an extra 50 made a big jump in brightness, so I think the internal code (exe) probably has specific numbers that when you cross it adds X to the actual visible light level. Because it was not linear, of a tiny bit more light for each point added. It kind of was a staircase effect if that makes sense.

8. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Looks like the only things for dude I can modify via script are SPECIAL stats and Skills.

Sigh :(

9. Pesticide

Pesticide First time out of the vault

Aug 18, 2007
    wasnt there a dog in fo2 that made you have perk jinxed when this dog joined you from random encounter ? Maybe this dog script could somehow work for other perks ?