Fallout 2 Modded: Starting Tips?

Irradiated Rat

First time out of the vault
Hey there fellow wastelanders,

I've just completed Fallout 1 and am excited to move on to Fallout 2. As with every older game I intend to jump into however, I made sure to do my research first. That being said, I'd still like some help and suggestions for making sure I set myself up for the best first playthrough I can have with Fallout 2.

So first I'd like to present the list of mods I'd like to use for my playthrough. If there are any compatibility issues I missed, please inform me. Also I realize that mod load order can be important, so let me know if there is a specific way or order I should install these mods. I see there is a resource for a Fallout 2 Mod Runner, but it doesn't seem that necessary from what I've read. Any feedback or advice on this would be especially appreciated.
My mods are as follows:
Restoration Project Updated
Talking Heads Addon
FO2 Starting Inventory
Lossless Music
Inventory Filter
FO2tweaks

Secondly, I'd like an outside opinion on the character I intend to play and if that would be advisable for an inexperienced player to start with. I intend to play a speech focused character with a starting SPECIAL of:
S-5|P-6|E-3|C-6|I-9|A-6|L-5
Tag skills: Speech, Sneak, Unarmed. Traits: Good Natured, Chem Reliant.
I intend to mainly sneak past enemies and have my allies deal with the ones I can't. Using my unarmed skill for sneak attacks and defensive tactics. I'm going to be doing a bit of role-playing as a chem head, hence the trait. I also have some questions about this build:
1. Do companions alert enemies if I am sneaking?
2. Are the boost from chems more powerful than the one-handed trait?
3. Can doctors cure addiction like in Fallout 3?
4. Is it possible to pickpocket the mirrored shades off of Mason so I don't have to go graverobbing?
5. Is it better to stay weaponless when using unarmed?
6. Can chems push your special stats past 10?
7. Can chems effect SPECIAL requirements for perks? I.E. If I use chems to boost my agility, before leveling or before opening my character screen, will the SPECIAL stat boosts they provide help me to unlock a perk I normally wouldn't meet the stat requirements for?

I know this is a very longwinded post, but finding accurate info on classic Fallout games is a bit tricky. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help.

Last edited:
Hey bud, I think when it comes to the mods they should all be compatible aside from maybe "FO2 Starting Inventory" as it was made for the old version of the Restoration Project. Although it's just 1 script so you should be fine :)

Hey bud, I think when it comes to the mods they should all be compatible aside from maybe "FO2 Starting Inventory" as it was made for the old version of the Restoration Project. Although it's just 1 script so you should be fine :)
Thanks, the Fallout scene is new to me let alone the fallout modding scene, heh. I just don't want to end up in a worse case scenerio of playing hours in and finding myself having to restart from a mod issue.

Back