Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.2 - OPEN BETA (ie NOT FINAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.2 - OPEN BETA (ie NOT FI

killap said:
• Fixed several issues with the church/house party fight.

I hope this is what I think it is. Is this what I think it is?

Turd Henley:
Yes, it is. The fight is considerably easier now, I've finished it few hours back.

killap:
Did you change the original "blood pool" artwork? It looks strange to me and doesn't fit the scale at all in 640x480px. (The tallneess of the object I mean, it's too high in comparison with other characters and objects.)

Wow, a new version of RP? Thanks, killap, and others who work on the project! I was supposed to start studying, but I guess playing a little RP can't hurt. Nice timing, Jan 4th was my birthday, and release was on 6th, so it was like a present for me. :)

Anyways, I like beta testing, and so I'll help you if I can.

I noticed that if I alt-tab out of the game, fallout2 is not shown in the taskbar. I can still get back into the game by alt-tabbing, but usually programs have the option of clicking the entry "entry" in the taskbar. Probably not just an RP issue.

Also, I installed this on top of unmodded, unpatched fallout 2 directory. I had not used the game installer, but instead, copied files from cd and created \data\Sound\music directory, where i copied the music too. On first run, the fallout2.cfg file contained garbled entry on music path settings. I'll look into this more later, since I want to play the game right now, the installer can wait :). The line should just read, "data\sound\music"

I noticed a change in the readme that said:

Code:
"Lucas now gives you a text float when he has no more to teach you, rather than running through the same dialogue again only to learn that he has nothing more to offer. This is now consistent with the other warriors who teach you at your tribe. "
But Lucas has healing powder, which you can barter if you want to, so this change also means that you can not barter it anymore, if you don't do it initially, before training. I don't know if this is a problem.

When I fought Cameron, one of his floating fighting messages said something about "Life-force". It is correctly written as "Life force". Not exactly a big thing, but anyway...

Anyways, back to the game.

NovaRain said:
Geras said:
Dunno if anybody else has witnessed this is his gameplay.
Same here, the character will "shift" a bit when playing ******AL animations with weapons equipped. It seems the problem itself doesn't come from RP. I tested MR demo (with sfall updated to the latest build) and also see the same issue.

EDIT: Hmm, guess that's probably a vanilla problem. I tried FO1 and saw approximately the same shifting occurs. Some appearance/direction/weapons are less obvious.
Can you guys test with older versions of sfall and the high res patch? If this wasn't a problem before then let's see when the break occurred and if it is sfall or the high res patch.

Also, per your test in F1, were you using the latest high res patch? I'm not sure when sfall was last updated for F1, but I think it's been a while. And I question this being a vanilla problem since it sounds like it really stands out.

@Turd Henley
Hah, yes. Really the only difference is the sledgehammer guy can run now so you have more helpers closer to you when the fight starts. Some of the people at the house party also have decreased perception since they are drunk.

A minor bug, probably still from vanilla:

Sajag, the owner of The Golden Gecko bar in Klamath after Smiley the trapper rescue still says that '...he hasn't come back and that was a while back, too.'

EDIT:

'Some geckos and some radscorpions' encounter with radscorpions missing.

Save: http://speedy.sh/TdRFS/SLOT01.rar

killap said:
Yeah, you don't have to kill anything with it, you just have to make sure it fires and works.

Provide a save game though so that I can take a look.
No save needed - I just did not realise scrotcher has to be reloaded (I thought it reloads automaticlly in daylight; but last time I killed a rat with first shot, used up the magazine and never checked what was wrong; this time I missed too many times to kill a plant, so I got intrigued). So the bug was sitting in my head.

To Killap and the whole RP team (pixote and Darek?): CONGRATUFUCKINGLATIONS! The end is near (in the good way)!

One question: a loooong time ago, Nirran coded a sweet mod that enabled enemies to drop their 2h (big guns, large energy) weapons if you crippled one of their arms. Is that an installer option in this version of the RP? It was awesome, and compatible with the 2.1.2 RP.

Re: the directX dll's: killap, have you considered running the directx web installer at the end of install? that way you wouldn't have to repackage the DLLs.

agris said:
One question: a loooong time ago, Nirran coded a sweet mod that enabled enemies to drop their 2h (big guns, large energy) weapons if you crippled one of their arms. Is that an installer option in this version of the RP? It was awesome, and compatible with the 2.1.2 RP.
Since it's probably an sfall global script, I'm sure it still works just fine with 2.2 (since you said it worked in the last version). And I don't really plan on including every mod in the installer. Well, just the popular ones at least.

agris said:
Re: the directX dll's: killap, have you considered running the directx web installer at the end of install? that way you wouldn't have to repackage the DLLs.
I have, but my fear is that permissions will get in the way or something won't run with that. Plus, you'll need web access and I'm all about your software installing/working perfectly while sitting in a cabin in the woods (provided you have power). Developers today don't consider this. 8-)

-This table spot can be walked on in Klamath: http://imgur.com/uv8Gi

-Stacy inside Mom's place in Den has a bug. Hover your mouse on her and description box says "You see Stacy.", but when you talk to her and then quit dialogue the description box says "You see bar patron." It should be other way around.

EDIT:

Also, Tyler rarely initiates his dialog before combat in house party fight in Den's residental area (other npc's block sight to player?).

killap said:
I have, but my fear is that permissions will get in the way or something won't run with that. Plus, you'll need web access and I'm all about your software installing/working perfectly while sitting in a cabin in the woods (provided you have power). Developers today don't consider this. 8-)

Yep, it was a sfall script, and I like that mentality too. Something very relaxing about being able to play an old game out in the middle of nowhere in the dead of night, far away from a wifi connection.

agris said:
killap said:

Yep, it was a sfall script, and I like that mentality too. Something very relaxing about being able to play an old game out in the middle of nowhere in the dead of night, far away from a wifi connection.
Just to be clear, the DirectX June 2010 update, which is the latest, only needs to be run once per Windows installation. If using the web installer, internet access is not needed when playing the game, just when installing the update. And it stays installed until you reinstall Windows.

Many older games require DirectX update anyway, so usually it is a good idea to install the DirectX update whenever you install Windows. It won't be removed if you remove Fallout 2, or any game which uses it.

If every software were to include dll's with them, then that would kinda defeat their point, since the idea is that they are in the windows folders, not multiple times in game folders.

Also, there is an offline version of that update available, you can take it with you too, if you want to. And run it only once. It is about 90 megabytes, so probably too big to include with the Restoration installer, although that would at least mean it works without net connection.

But I digress, I was going to test the game, not talk about this :).

The +1 Ag syringe doesn't get removed after use (yay, free agility for everyone). I'm pretty sure we fixed this and the proto is good, so the version of the epasl map must have regressed (using the old syringe proto).

The 'gender bender' still have error messages for females, when choosing long hair or bald. Women should probably not even have those dialog options.

About the wrong animation offsets, I checked with vanilla Fallout 2 and it's the same there as far as i can see. Maybe that the hi-res patch makes it a bit more noticeable though. I think females looked a bit worse, hero mod made no difference. The difference in what weapon is being used is probably due to what stance the character has. Could maybe tweak some of the offsets, but I don't think it can ever get perfect (not that I have any experience with this, I'm just guessing).

eh_zpsf590cca4.jpg

Seriously?

Well, that's news. Um, where should I be installing it to then?

Turd Henley said:
eh_zpsf590cca4.jpg

Seriously?

Well, that's news. Um, where should I be installing it to then?
Like C:\Games perhaps?
Just anywhere except in program files, as Microsoft is too overprotective of that directory.

Tony Brasco said:
Just to be clear, the DirectX June 2010 update, which is the latest, only needs to be run once per Windows installation. If using the web installer, internet access is not needed when playing the game, just when installing the update. And it stays installed until you reinstall Windows.

If every software were to include dll's with them, then that would kinda defeat their point, since the idea is that they are in the windows folders, not multiple times in game folders.

Also, there is an offline version of that update available, you can take it with you too, if you want to. And run it only once. It is about 90 megabytes, so probably too big to include with the Restoration installer, although that would at least mean it works without net connection.
I fully understand your points, but my point is that I want to guarantee users that once they have downloaded my software they do not need the internet again. Yes this means including dlls, yes that is not necessary a good idea, etc. Maybe one day the severs the web installer connects to go down. Many don't usually think about this. "Oh I won't be playing/using this software 10 years from now, who gives a crap." Well, look at us here. ;) I'm going for software where it just works out of the box and you don't have to download/install stuff later to get it to work. It just runs. Sorry, I'm just fickle about that.

Darek said:
About the wrong animation offsets, I checked with vanilla Fallout 2 and it's the same there as far as i can see. Maybe that the hi-res patch makes it a bit more noticeable though. I think females looked a bit worse, hero mod made no difference. The difference in what weapon is being used is probably due to what stance the character has. Could maybe tweak some of the offsets, but I don't think it can ever get perfect (not that I have any experience with this, I'm just guessing).
And you checked without using sfall/high-res patch? Interesting. I haven't noticed but I'm usually just testing a feature, so I don't really care how the player model is acting. :P

But it's odd that this is being reported now. Why not before in older RPs?

killap said:
And you checked without using sfall/high-res patch? Interesting. I haven't noticed but I'm usually just testing a feature, so I don't really care how the player model is acting. :P

But it's odd that this is being reported now. Why not before in older RPs?
Uh psychology? :shrug:
Can't say I've ever payed attention to it myself, but when someone mentions it, you can definitely see it's there.
I'm talking about the 'magic hands' that Geras mentioned by the way, no idea about that earlier report.

killap said:
Tony Brasco said:

I fully understand your points, but my point is that I want to guarantee users that once they have downloaded my software they do not need the internet again. Yes this means including dlls, yes that is not necessary a good idea, etc. Maybe one day the severs the web installer connects to go down. Many don't usually think about this. "Oh I won't be playing/using this software 10 years from now, who gives a crap." Well, look at us here. ;) I'm going for software where it just works out of the box and you don't have to download/install stuff later to get it to work. It just runs. Sorry, I'm just fickle about that.

Interesting point of view Killap, but it makes sense.
Who knows in the future which game is considered as a criminal act or not... :mrgreen:

But thank's in advance for all that patience, work and last but not least even love that you gave to Fallout...Thank you... :salute:

Darek said:
Uh psychology? :shrug:
Hah, so true. But still, you say that the high-res patch might make it more obvious. Is it only more obvious in the latest version of the high-rest patch? What happens if we try 3.0.6, which is the version included in RP 2.1.2b

Darek said:
Can't say I've ever payed attention to it myself, but when someone mentions it, you can definitely see it's there.
I'm talking about the 'magic hands' that Geras mentioned by the way, no idea about that earlier report.
I'll take a look myself.

@smilodom
Well, I just see a lot of software these days where there is some step that requires you to connect to a server (and I'm not talking about just for registration). Then we have all the games we download through Steam, etc. Now I use Steam a lot, but what happens if Steam goes away? Sure you can play offline, but what happens if I have a new computer? Can I ever install those games again? With my CD/DVD (which I can backup elsewhere) I can. Perhaps this is a bad example and Steam already has something in place for a situation like this, but it's stuff more people should think about. But alas, we live in a disposable society, so w/e. I'll just throw out my iPhone cause it's 6 months old. :roll: Haha, sorry I rarely rant about things on here. I'm not bitter. I'm still too young to be bitter. :wink: But this is the RP beta thread, so enough of this.

Same here, the character will "shift" a bit when playing ******AL animations with weapons equipped. It seems the problem itself doesn't come from RP. I tested MR demo (with sfall updated to the latest build) and also see the same issue.

EDIT: Hmm, guess that's probably a vanilla problem. I tried FO1 and saw approximately the same shifting occurs. Some appearance/direction/weapons are less obvious.

did not notice this while playing with previous RP :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back