Fallout 2 mod Fallout 2 Sound Overhaul

Eledin

First time out of the vault
Intro

The purpose of this mod is to overhaul the sounds of Fallout 2, giving it a new coat of pain.

My first intention was to publish this here on NMA, but i was not able to do so because for a long time the registration confirmation was not working. So i published on the Nexus instead.

What can i expect?

* More than 235 high quality, carefully chosen, sound replacements, taken from free sound sites all over the internet. Those include weapons, PC/NPC's/Monsters, ambient sounds and UI sounds and interactions (doors, containers, pickups, ....).
* More sound variety on some ambient audio. For instance, Vault dungeons are less silent, having more diverse noises (metal creaking, electric sparks, ....).
* Weapons have a modern, more punchy sounds, being more satisfying to use.
* Two new sounds that were not being played (because they were missing from the original game) are now restored. You will hear them when opening your pip-boy and when looting containers.
* Some UI sounds were replaced by better quality versions from the newer FO games
* Modern alternative for the level up sound (as a separate file to download)
* 1 additional ambient music sound, replacing the "wind loop" with a better quality one, as a separate download
* "Easter egg" sound for the car engine sound, taken from a popular movie. Yeah, that one.
* "Easter egg" sounds for the wanamingo and wanamingo queen, taken from a popular movie series. Of course its that one!

How to Install

Check the downloads tab of the Nexus.

I don't know how to upload files to the NMA downloads page. Let me know how can it be done. I don't like Nexus for their identity politics and nonobjective mod banning policy, but unfortunately, there are not many good alternatives.

Preview

Nexus only allows youtube embedded content, so my only option is to provide a direct link.

Explosion Example
Weapons Example
Wanamingo
Car Engine
Elevator background noise (dungeon sfx)
LevelUp
Glory Kill Example
(...)

Future Plans

This is a WIP. I'm replacing and tweaking the sounds as i play. I'll updating this as i see fit.

Technical Info

As far as i know, there are only two formats that the engine can properly play without distortion (sounds being played too fast or too slowly).
-> 22050Hz Mono
-> 11025Hz Stereo

I choose the first one, since although it's mono, the bit rate is higher and to me, better quality than the stereo version.

Tools used:
-> Audacity
-> snd2acm

Compatibility

The sounds were tested on Fallout 2 with Sfall, with and without FO2 Restoration Project Updated. I also test them with custom mods like Fallout1in2 and Olympus 2077. In theory, the sounds should work with any mod that makes use of the same sound names as the ones provided by this mod. Keep in mind that to use them in a mod, you need to copy the acm file into [GAMEDIR]\[MOD_DIR]\DATA\SOUND\SFX.

Hey, that's cool!

Would you mind sending me a zip file with your Sound Overhaul (0.5), Wind sfx replacement + alternative level up (0.1)?
I sent you a message with my e-mail address.

Since i seem not to be able to edit the thread
The Elevator background noise (dungeon sfx) is 47 seconds long - is that too long?

The elevator background noise from the example above is not the sound of the elevator that you hear when going up or down a level. It's an elevator background noise you hear sometimes when in a dungeon (ex: vault). I extended it with cracks so the dungeons are less silent and have more diverse sounds. That is the only way i know to add new sounds without scripting.

Last edited:
Hey, that's cool!

Would you mind sending me a zip file with your Sound Overhaul (0.5), Wind sfx replacement + alternative level up (0.1)?
I sent you a message with my e-mail address.

Because you don't have a Nexus account, right? I've uploaded it to Mega. Here it is.

Back