Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Magnus, May 8, 2008.
Wow, thanks for that. Helped me greatly. Pity that Magnus isn't responding, really.
My weapon rebalance
I used some of the "Weapons redone" mod (ammo, armor, heavy weapons, lasers, grenades) and balanced it a bit more for my taste.
- only slight changes in most weapons stats, compared to vanilla FO2 (to improve balance, not twist it)
- weapons in FO2 increase effectiveness in linearity fashion (I mean it always: more price, more dmg, more armor piercing etc, never something to choose from..). I'd like to change that
- also slightly increase effectiveness of some weapons, that I thought was underpowered.
> Ammo (in compare to "Weapons redone" stats):
- 12ga shells: 1.5x damage and -10% AC mod (eg. many small projectiles are more likely to hit and do much damage, but can't penetrate). This makes all shotguns more effective.
- JHP vs AP (FMJ): 1.5x dmg for JHP, less DR bonus and no AC change; 1x dmg for AP ammo, AC&DR as it was.
- Ammo without AP/JHP variety has 1x dmg, and AP/DR mods of its calliber (eg. 14mm penetrate much more than .223)
- .223 goes in packs of 30 instead of 50 (more logical for popular "M4" caliber); 14mm in 20; .45 in 50. Cost and weight of ammo packs was changed accordingly.
- ALL pistols take 4 AP per shot (even 14mm and .223... that's what pistols really all about)
- 14mm Pistol: more dmg (14-22), no acc. bonus, less range (20 insted of 25)
- .223 Pistol: slightly less dmg (20-27), less range (25 insted of 30), has penetration bonus
- 10mm pistol&smg +2 min dmg (7-12)
- .44 Magnum vs Desert Eagle: first has more power, second is more accurate and long-ranged
- Hunting rifle do slightly more dmg (14-20)
- Sniper rifle still takes 6AP per shot, but has more power (28-38), still sucks very much to Laser rifle
- Bozar is still swaped with LSW and stats not touched (38-76)
- 2 barrel shotguns have a duplet (burst) firing mode
- Normal shotgun vs sawed-off: dmg first (15-25), second (15-30)
- Combat shotgun has same dmg as 2-barrel (still more powerfull than vanilla). ammo capacity of 9 instead of 12
- HK CAWS vs Pancor Jackhammer: first has more range (20-30), but lacks bit in damage (15-25); second has same range as combat shotgun (18-22), but much more dmg (20-32). Also NO single-fire mode, like RL prototype, only 5-shot bursts...
- Assault rifle vs FN FAL: 10 rounds per burst vs high damage (much higher than vanilla)
- GAUSS weapons: inflict much less damage then plasma, BUT 2mm ammo has -100% AC&DR penalty, should penetrate everything.
> Energy&Big guns:
- Laser weapons stats preserved from "WR" mod.
- 5mm miniguns have +2 to min dmg.
- Turbo plasma-rifle, compared to normal one: (shot has slightly more min dmg, costs 4 AP)
- M60 vs Light support weapon: first does tremendous damage, but lacks range, accuracy and single-fire mode; LSW is less deadly but light, more universal and reliable.
> Melee & throwing:
- Super sledge takes 4,5 AP instead of 3,4 (same as regular sledge; no logical explaination of "faster swing")
- Throwing knife is more powerful (5-15)
- Wakizashi blade is much more powerful
(not full list of changes)
If there is an "/interest" I can upload my work here
is it compatible with the latest megamod 2.42 mod?
I don't really know. If Weapons Redone 2.0 is compatible with it, then my addition must be also. I changed only weapons and ammo, that present in vanilla FO2. If megamod replaces or removes them, then there may be problem, otherwise - OK.
It IS made for (with) Restoration Project 2.0.
No, as far as I know, this mod has been made primarily for RP 1.2. Doesn't need to be compatible with 2.0.
I meant MY additions ARE 100% RP 2.0 compatible. As well as WR mod (if you install it properly)
Re: My weapon rebalance
So with Fast Shot + Bonus rate of fire 1 AP? Might want to reconsider, unless you really like the gun and want it to be the best
Didn't thought about this combination before... Checked, you're right. Maybe Leave it under 4 with small dmg bonus.
I'm not dead... yet.
Currently I am coding a proper executable installer that should work on most flavors of Windows.
The mod should be perfectly compatible with the RP v2.0. If Killap adds a lot of new critters in it, those might not get the updated armor stats. Everything else should be all right.
I'd completely forgot the Phazer, maybe I'll look into it and see if it needs a tweak.
The Magneto-Laser pistol has the Penetrate perk, which means it ignores Damage Thresholds and does a lot more damage to high armored critters.
EDIT: The RP v2.0's custom animations for the sword, sniper rifle and so on will get overwritten by F2WR as of now. I'll include an option for this in the installer of v2.1. Oh, and the Megamod should work swell too, there's an option for it in the installer.
POW! Here it is. What, surprised?
Go to the first page for a download link.
Changes in v2.1:
Cooked up a proper, more automated installer in C++. Vista and Win7 install problems should now be just a scary story to tell your grandchildren. Unless those OSes use different versions of RD and XCOPY, in which case you're still boned.
Added an option to the installer to include Josan12's custom animations for the Sniper Rifle and Wakizashi from the RP v2.0, which would otherwise get disabled by F2WR. If you answer yes when the installer asks if you installed these animations with the RP, the Wakizashi will have stats fitting a small sword and no longer be throwable. If you answer no, it will still behave like a big throwing knife, as in vanilla Fallout 2. Also, if you answer yes, but actually did not install the animations when you installed the RP, you will get some spectacularly bugged items
The Wakizashi Sword as described above does 12-30 damage, costs 4 ap to swing, is not throwable and Penetrates armor. It weighs 3 pounds. Like I said, only with the RP animations.
Without the new animations, Wakizashi Blades do 7-15 damage.
With some exceptions, all of the SHARP melee weapons now do one more point of MAXIMUM damage, and all of the BLUNT melee weapons now do one more point of MINIMUM damage.
Sledgehammers do 15-17 damage.
Crowbars do 12-15 damage. Whoa.
Super Sledges do 34-42 damage.
Regular and Sharpened Spears do 10-20 damage, and no longer count as one-handed weapons despite their animations. Try getting hold of a real spear, balance it in one hand and see if you can hit anything.
Clubs are now throwable! They have the same max range as the Crowbar, 15 hexes.
Throwing knives now have a thrust attack, which uses 4AP.
Corrected the Throwing Knives' max damage from 21 to the intended 16.
The Desert Eagle's Extended clip has been lowered to 12 rounds from 15.
Shotgun ammo has an AC modifier of -20 down from -10.
7.62mm ammo has had its DR and AC modifiers lowered by 5 each, so they are now -20 and -15.
Microwaved a gremlin in the Brotherhood armor that gave it supernatural laser resistance.
Removed some unused files.
Corrected a few readme typos.
The installer will ask you if you are using either the Megamod, Killap's RP/UP or neither. It is very important that you answer this correctly. Using some kind of hybrid, like the Megamod and the RP together, is NOT recommended with F2WR!
Some technical stuff about the unarmed AP cost option:
It will backup your current version of Fallout2.exe, but only if there isn't a backup already, so you don't erase your original backup if you run the installer twice.
It will modify Fallout2.exe directly, for increased compatibility.
It will modify sfall's ddraw.ini according to whether you are using the Megamod or the RP. If you aren't using the RP, the UP or the Megamod but still have sfall installed, choose the RP option in the installer.
not work with megamod, when i try to install (install.bat) it give the message
the system cannot execute the specified program
press any key to continue...
Aw crap. This is not because of the Megamod, though. What operating system are you using? Are you sure you have unzipped the contents of the .zip archive to the Fallout2 folder? e.g. C:\Program Files\BlackIsle\Fallout 2.
Try making a shortcut to f2wr.exe, open the shortcut's properties and in the command line add the parameter run, so it looks like "C:\blablabla\Fallout2\F2WR.exe" run.
Very nice, very nice indeed. Already playing with it, thanks!
I'm testing the installer on another PC now and have found out that getting it to work on everything for everyone may be tricky. If anyone else gets a "side-by-side configuration error", try Googling for a Visual C++ Redistributable 2008 and installing that.
ooooh an update, what a rewarding situation to be in right after finals.
Thanks Magnus for the hardwork, and keep up the good work
uh i still get the side by side configuration error...did what you suggested but no solution.
im using Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit
Oh fooey! Here I was, thinking I'd made it more compatible with the new installer. Guess I was punching above my weight on that one, but you can always do a manual install. Here's how you do it for a full one:
1. Copy everything in waa\all to your Fallout2\data\proto\items folder (henceforth called Items folder).
2. If you want ammo stacks to be cut in half, copy the stuff in ammo\rare to your Items folder as well.
3. Copy the files in critters\base to your Fallout2\data\proto\critters folder (henceforth called Critters folder).
4. If you are using Killap's RP/UP, copy the files in critters\Killap to your Critters folder. If you are using the Megamod, do this with the critters\megamod files instead.
5. If you want the original FO1 sounds for the big pistols, copy everything in sounds to fallout2\data\sound\sfx.
Hacking for dummies:
If you want to reduce the AP cost for the Unarmed special attacks like Hook kick and Palm strike, the installer can do that for you. If you can't launch the installer, however, you'll need to put on your 1337-trousers and do it yourself! You'll need a hex editor, XVI32 or Notepad++ works fine.
Open Fallout2.exe in your chosen editor. Back it up first, of course.
Go to the address/offset 0x68fd2. In XVI32 that's the Address->Goto menu.
You should see something like "BB 06 00 00 00".
This is a command that tells the processor to move the number 6 into a specific location in your RAM.
In this case, that location temporarily holds the AP cost for one of the unarmed special punches.
Change 06 to 04. For God's sake don't use backspace, just highlight 06 and type 04.
Now go to the offset 0x68fe6.
Change the number to 05. This is for Hook kick and Hip kick.
Now go to the offset 0x68ff5. This is for Piercing strike.
Change it to 04.
Now go to the offset 0x69004. This is Piercing Kick.
Change it to 05.
Note that you can't really change the AP cost for Jab, as it uses the same value as the regular Punches.
Right! Now you can try to launch the program, and if you've got sfall you will get a grumpy error message. Sfall has just detected that you've been monkeying around in Fallout2.exe, and won't start.
Fortunately, there's a way around this. In your ddraw.ini there should be a line in the [Main] section called ExtraCRC=blahdiblah. This is the number that tells Sfall what Fallout2.exe "looks like", and is called a checksum. The method used for determining the checksum is called a Cyclic Redundancy Check, hence the CRC abbreviation.
For the Megamod, the exe you just hacked has a checksum of 0xeb26b9d7.
Killap's RP, which is the default Fallout 1.02 US version, has a checksum of 0xe75aa121 when hacked according to the above instructions.
Change the ExtraCRC number in the .ini to whichever is appropriate for you.
This should also be the number you get when you try to launch Fallout2.exe right after hacking it, it says "Expected this number, but got that number", and that number is the one you want to put in your ddraw.ini.
Okay! If you've done all of this right, you should have a perfectly good installation of F2WR on your hands. I'll keep trolling the nets and my programmer buddies for a solution to the side-by-side quagmire and post it as soon as I figure it out. In the meantime, hope you get it to work!
I may have found a solution! Those who didn't get it to work, try redownloading and see if it works this time! You may still have to install the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable.
Changes in v2.1b:
Published the installer in release mode rather than debug mode to (hopefully) avoid side-by-side hell. Also cleaned up some unused code and somehow shaved 55 kbs off it.
Fixed a nasty mistake where the installer could potentially give you the wrong energy weapons.
I guess you should all just take every major release of this mod with a fist of salt until I've released at least a couple of hotfixes.
Changes in v2.1c:
Corrected bogus damage on the Sharpened Spear. Again.
The option to show the custom weapon animations from the RP now also puts a scope on the Scoped Hunting Rifle.
The installer will no longer put multiple ExtraCRC's in your ddraw.ini if you run it multiple times.
can i just overwrite with 2.1c?..or i need to uninstall everything and do it again?
Overwriting will work just fine. Please tell me if you get it to work!
it installed just fine