Fallout 2 mod Fallout 2: Weapons Redone v2.3

Hey Magnus !
Good to see you working on the weapons mod again, ive really enjoyed your work.

About the Ammo thing.... Nirran & Cubik actually scripted & tweaked untill finally after all those years Ap, JHP & FMJ finally work like it shouldv from the beginning.
JHP= Superior dmg against unarmored & low armored critters like leather.
FMJ & AP ammo superior damage against metal armor & up.

So finally all the ammo has a purpose & it adds that tactical layer to combat when you encounter critters or are preparing for a battle.

Also shotgun shells have a certain knockdown % , this makes shotguns much more appealing & intuitive.

Mayby you can have a look & see if you like it, & use the ammo part for your mod.
this is a link :
http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Cubik/FO2_Combat_Tweaks_Mod

Byebye !
Riel.

The Gauss weapons have an agreeable damage, it's just that their ammo inherently multiplies that damage by 2. I was thinking of lowering that to 1.5 by setting their damage modifier to 3/2, and giving them more armor penetration instead.

I never thought of increasing the weapons' prices, I've already decreased most of them and just wondered if I should take a second look at their values. If you install the Scarce Ammo option, all ammo stacks will be cut in half at vendors and map stashes, meaning you'll spend more on it in shops and can carry less of it.

Currently I'm pleased with how AP ammo works in F2WR, my opinion is however that there just aren't enough heavily armored critters. Aside from Bishop's Raiders and the occasional VC patrol, Combat armor's a rare sight. Regular Power Armor is even more rare, as the Enclave almost solely relies on Advanced Power armor. And the other way around, few critters ever use AP ammo against you.

I'm just about learning to use the mapper now, should I edit a few bosses and random encounter tough guys to use AP and FMJ ammo, and release those edited maps as an installer option? I'd have to make separate map versions for the RP with and without the enhanced maps, the regular game maps and the Megamod, so it'd take a while. If people think this is a good idea, I'd very much appreciate some help with this!

Ravager69 said:
Also, one-handed spear in a solo fight is ridiculous. When you have a shield and both flanks covered by allied soldiers then yes, 300-like combat is very effective, but otherwise it's suicide. Try getting a sharp and long pole and thrust with one hand. I mean what's the point? It's unwieldy AND you hit with less power.

as far as power goes, it's not any worse than a rapier. they're specialized thrusting weapons made to stick into things. i could use a kitchen knife tied to a 3 foot stick and it would be just as dangerous. it would be a bit frail but not powerless.

using a spear with two hands is mostly for better control. two-handed swords are not used that way because it makes them more powerful. they're used with two hands so that you can actually control the big-ass 7 lb knife.

the rest is all technique. maximum damage from minimal effort.

the main problem with a one-handed spear is that they're made to use in tandem with either an off-hand weapon or a shield. however, the mere fact that spears were intentionally designed as one-handed weapons means it must have worked.

of course, there are better weapons but spears were definitely not weak, one-handed or otherwise.

dudejo001 said:
as far as power goes, it's not any worse than a rapier. they're specialized thrusting weapons made to stick into things. i could use a kitchen knife tied to a 3 foot stick and it would be just as dangerous. it would be a bit frail but not powerless.

using a spear with two hands is mostly for better control. two-handed swords are not used that way because it makes them more powerful. they're used with two hands so that you can actually control the big-ass 7 lb knife.

the rest is all technique. maximum damage from minimal effort.

the main problem with a one-handed spear is that they're made to use in tandem with either an off-hand weapon or a shield. however, the mere fact that spears were intentionally designed as one-handed weapons means it must have worked.

of course, there are better weapons but spears were definitely not weak, one-handed or otherwise.

Since spear has worse grip than a rapier and Fallout has no off-hand weapons nor shields, I'd say making it two-handed weapon is a good choice.

@Magnus
Enhancing game towards being more challenging is always welcome, should you find time to add some AP using critters, please do so.

I'll try giving some enemies in the mid-late game AP ammo and see how it works out. Are the random encounters in the game located in respective maps, or are they handled somewhere else?

Dudejo, if you really feel like discussing real life spears any further, I suggest making a new thread about it in the General Discussion forum. I already made a one-handed spear download and gave you a link to it a few posts back, what else could you possibly want? Other people here seem to like the change to two-handedness, I'd let them have their fun with it and rather post ideas for stuff to include or change in the mod.

EDIT:
I've made some changes in my own game, here's an indicative of what I've done so far and how I'll be doing it in the future. I'll wait with releasing these maps until the RP v2.1 is out, if someone really wants them now they can PM me with their e-mail!

Hubologists' Stash:
All of the guards now have AP ammo in their Assault Rifles.

Military Base:
One of the mutants on the 2nd floor now has AP ammo in his Minigun.

New Reno:
Big Jesus Mordino's most trusted men (the 5 guys in his quarters) all have AP ammo in their 10mm SMGs.

John Bishop now has AP ammo in his 10mmSMG.

One of the bodyguards in the second floor of the Shark Club previously had both a .44 Magnum and a Grease Gun, but would always use the latter, while a bodyguard in Bishop's quarters had nothing at all. The extra Magnum has now been given to the unarmed guard, along with FMJ ammo, a Stimpak and some pocket change.

One of the bodyguards in the second floor of the Shark Club had a 10mmSMG with both AP ammo and JHP, but would always use JHP. He now uses AP and then reloads with JHP.

One of the bodyguards in the second floor of the Shark Club now has AP ammo in his 10mmSMG.

One of the bodyguards in the second floor of the Shark Club now has FMJ ammo in his Desert Eagle.

Mason and 2 other Salvatore guards now carry Magneto-Laser pistols.

Chris Wright and 2 other Wright sons now use AP ammo in their weapons.

Bishop's Raiders:
The raiders in Combat Armor now use AP and FMJ ammo in their weapons.

Vault 15 Raiders:
Many of the raiders in Vault 15 were equipped with AP ammo, but they'd always use a clip of JHP first. Now they use AP ammo until they run out, and then begin with JHP. This means Vault 15 is now HARD.

One of the raiders there had a Hunting Rifle but also 100 rounds of 5mmAP, this ammo has been removed.

it felt to me like answers to my arguments didn't really add up to anything beyond "one-handed spears suck" and, well, i got carried away.

it's cool, though, i'll drop it.

for the Gauss weapons, i could imagine them being armor-piercing weapons.

only thing is, since the ammo is 2mm, i could also imagine the ammo clips being a lil' bigger...

Magnus said:
EDIT:
I've made some changes in my own game, here's an indicative of what I've done so far and how I'll be doing it in the future. I'll wait with releasing these maps until the RP v2.1 is out, if someone really wants them now they can PM me with their e-mail!

Hubologists' Stash:
All of the guards now have AP ammo in their Assault Rifles.

Military Base:
One of the mutants on the 2nd floor now has AP ammo in his Minigun.

New Reno:
Big Jesus Mordino's most trusted men (the 5 guys in his quarters) all have AP ammo in their 10mm SMGs.

John Bishop now has AP ammo in his 10mmSMG.

One of the bodyguards in the second floor of the Shark Club previously had both a .44 Magnum and a Grease Gun, but would always use the latter, while a bodyguard in Bishop's quarters had nothing at all. The extra Magnum has now been given to the unarmed guard, along with FMJ ammo, a Stimpak and some pocket change.

One of the bodyguards in the second floor of the Shark Club had a 10mmSMG with both AP ammo and JHP, but would always use JHP. He now uses AP and then reloads with JHP.

One of the bodyguards in the second floor of the Shark Club now has AP ammo in his 10mmSMG.

One of the bodyguards in the second floor of the Shark Club now has FMJ ammo in his Desert Eagle.

Mason and 2 other Salvatore guards now carry Magneto-Laser pistols.

Chris Wright and 2 other Wright sons now use AP ammo in their weapons.

Bishop's Raiders:
The raiders in Combat Armor now use AP and FMJ ammo in their weapons.

Vault 15 Raiders:
Many of the raiders in Vault 15 were equipped with AP ammo, but they'd always use a clip of JHP first. Now they use AP ammo until they run out, and then begin with JHP. This means Vault 15 is now HARD.

One of the raiders there had a Hunting Rifle but also 100 rounds of 5mmAP, this ammo has been removed.

whoah...now i'm really going to need the lifegiver perk (at my current 4 Endurance) if i wanna survive a Minigun AP Salvo...but it's cool though, it's refreshing to die, haha.

Yes you will! Or a couple of grenades to throw at that mutant - you do have some Throwing skill as a melee char, right?

I'm currently continuing Kanhef's work with a program to edit the armor stats of a whole bunch of critters in a jiffy, allowing me to update the critter protos of the RP and the Megamod without any trouble.

In the next version, non-humanoid creatures will have armor stats equal to the in-game armors, for easier reference, and this will also make the high level creatures like Fire Geckos, remnants of the Master's Army, aliens etc. more vulnerable to AP ammo because of the armors' lowered DT and increased DR.

I will also give the AC rating of armors a peek and see if it could do with a change. I think one of the tradeoffs of the Power and Metal Armors should be less mobility than Combat or Leather Armor, I'll see how it looks at the moment.

Those sound like very cool changes, though some moderation throughout the levels with high DR/low DR might give the more tactical feel you were looking for. For instance, giving the fire geckos very low dt/dr but high hp would make them more of a threat, while leaving the enclave with their armor of doom......

On the other hand, the adv PA mk 2 is the ultimate in personal protection, and I love making the armor this way, so that the achivment of acquiring it can really be felt......as for metal armor, I never use it as is, so making it less useful would have little impact on my game.

As a side note, just because of the rareness of the bridgekeepers robes, and how much I like them, I have made them equal to the combat armor mk 2, just to increase wearability, on the playthroughs that I get them in

armor AC a bit behind the green combat armors should work well enough.

i think it's high in the first place because of its D&D base, where armor, instead of lowering damage, merely increased your evade.

i also think it's a stupid way for armor to work but that's just me. heck, i was playing 3rd edition with my friends where we had to fight with armed guards (while completely naked) and i couldn't bring myself to feel worried. i just knew armor only mattered for evade.

Magnus-

I really like the sound of what you're doing. Having a 'tactics' add-on for your mod / Killap's RP is a great idea. And I agree with Severite, having the DR/DT on a sliding scale, rather than MIN/MAX will create more tactical scenarios. Boosting HP of some of the critters (i.e. fire geckos) is a good idea imo, and would make the early - mid game fights with the elite critters tougher. Enhanced DR to resist those burst weapons in conjunctions with increasing their HP by 2 or 3 fold would help make them more than just fodder for an assault rifle.

Nice to hear. I'm not sure what you mean by DR/DT on a sliding scale...

What I was thinking is that the current F2WR AP ammo has been balanced and tested against the humanoid armors, but many critters have stats that are different from those armors. Wanamingos for example have a massive DT, meaning anything but JHP ammo is useless against them, and that's just bad. I will rather give them the stats of an armor with fairly high DR, like Combat Armor 2. That would mean an Assault Rifle with JHP ammo would do 1-4 damage to them per shot, but one with AP ammo would do 1-9 damage. Consequently, when bursting with JHP it could do 1-36 damage, whereas with AP it could do 1-81 damage.
I'll do the same with the Fire Geckos, though they might get the Brotherhood Armor instead. Big Deathclaws will get Power Armor, tougher ones Hardened Power, etc.

Right, so the installer didn't work for me. I just went ahead and did the manual install(I actually like that way more).
My question is: Will Josan's new animations work if I did manual or would I have to use the installer for that?

If you want those animations, copy everything in waa\anims to your proto\items folder. Oh wow, I have two heads now!

Ahh, alright, thanks. I didn't see that folder, since I always just use All. So I guess those files were copied too.

Ah! Those files are not part of the All-folder, since not everyone installs those animations with the RP! In the next version I will no longer rely on hacking the engine thanks to Timeslip, so everything can be installed manually. You can try downloading the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable if the installer doesn't work.

Also, melee damage will behave like this:

The Bonus HtH Damage perk will give 4 damage per level instead of 2.

Your bonus melee damage will be calculated as ST-3 instead of ST-5.

Bonus melee damage will affect thrown weapons.

The Ripper and Wakizashi Sword will display the Laser cut-in-half death animation on critical kills.

These changes will break compatibility with mods that use hook scripts, but they are of course optional.

Is there any way you could change how some weapons look on the icons/images which represent them?

I've also consulted a friend of mine and it seems some of the ammunition the weapons use is wrong - I'm talking about the un-modded original game weapons. How about your modifications? do they change ammunitions used to resemble RL weapons more?

For example the P90 uses 5,7mm ammo. Yet there is no P90c model. Which means it's possible for it to use the 10mm bullets.

Hm? The P90c in my mod uses 10mm, but I let game balance come before everything else, so I would have made it fire BB's if it would balance the game more.

It is possible to change the pictures for weapons, but it's not something I'll be doing. Most people like them the way they are.

Balance? Weapons should be different. Better or worse. With longer range, greater firepower. Like the new XL70E3 which is surprisingly worse then the older HK 112.

As for the images representing guns... Am I blind?

Xl70e3_enfield.gif

Looks good.

XL70E3.gif

Hmmm much worse?

-------------------

M60

M60Tactics.png

Good.

M60.gif

What the fuck is this? A machine gun? Wait... where's the fucking trigger? lol

In my humble opinion I truly think the original weapon graphics look superior.
They just have that ''special'' look thats makes me feel all warm & fuzzy inside.

Guess its just a matter of taste.
Bye !

Back