Fallout 2 mod Fallout 2: Weapons Redone v2.3

Josan12 said:
I too am keen on finding a way to have the player, as universal wolf puts it - actually run out of ammo

Just double the cost of ammo – halve the amount in a clip – double the weight - that will fuck the masses nicely…it’s just a matter of changing the numbers in the Item Editor. :wink: - not to mention give ammo actual size. :shock:

031ammo.gif

Nirran said:
sfall has a scripting command to set ammo to w/e yuou want,could be easily done with a global script

Can you explain how this works, Nirran?

Lazlo said:
Oh nice. While I'm at it, I think I'll be doubling/tripling the weight of guns, too.

This is already part of my Survival mod. I've tested it through most of the game and it's nasty! ;) Unfortunately it kindof make's NPC's as mules essential, so i may also look at a way of reducing NPC's like Sulik's MASSIVE carry weight.

Pixote said:
Just double the cost of ammo – halve the amount in a clip – double the weight - that will fuck the masses nicely…it’s just a matter of changing the numbers in the Item Editor. :wink: - not to mention give ammo actual size. :shock:

Giving ammo a weight is definately something i have considered, and will quite possibly implement. After all, IRL ammo is heavy and cumborsome.

Halving the amount in a clip is something, IIRC, Magnus has looked at already and the problem there is that some weapons burst their entire clip in one burst. I could reduce the burst expenditure, but that's messing with game balance. I'll take another look at this, however.

Increasing the cost of ammo would be a double-edged sword as the player will be selling the huge amount of ammo he picks up from encounters aswell as buying it ....

What's your thoughts on this, Magnus?

I think making guns/ammo cheaper will make the game more challenging. I figure that players are selling guns more often than they're buying them.

Ideally, there'd just be a bigger penalty for low barter.

Is your Survival mod standalone, or will it just be a series of RP compatible gameplay tweaks?

I think it would be the best, to have a food and water mod like "Josan 12" is working on.
So the player has to carry much more water and food instead of rifles miniguns and ammo...

Just to warn here that links aren't valid anymore, so if someone could re-upload it (to sendspace.com, filefront, megaupload or any hoster that grants more than 10 downloads) I would be glad. Lazlo reminded me about this mod and I'm quite sad not being able to play with it :-|

Hey Lazlo :p

How about making guns cheap and ammo costly? Not that much of work I think, just change some values in F2WEDIT and it would make getting rich as fuck through selling looted guns less possible. Although then you can buy high-grade weapons too easy....

I like the thought of expensive ammo, but there's still the problem of encounters dropping full clips. A much harsher barter penalty would do good, or just most stores only accepting caps.

We'd also need a major overhaul of the encounter tables - you hit the northeast, pretty much every encounter from then on is dropping guns.

As Izual said in another forum, "you can't save Fallout 2 from the munchkin thing". He's probably right. But by God, it's worth a try.

Edit: Also, what kind of prices were you thinking for guns? I'm trying to make armour a more serious purchase, but I have no idea what kind of price range keeps it challenging without it being stupidly hard.

No matter how conservative I am with not roaming the wastes repeatedly looking to profit on slaver-raider wars, fact of the matter is that I rarely buy anything at all in Fallout 2. Maybe a few armors and the occasional high-end weapon, but I always have more money than I can spend, more guns than the shopkeepers can pay me money for, and more ammo than I could ever shoot. To truly make it challenging, the game needs a cash sink.

Fallout 3 has the equipment repairs which keep you from getting rich too fast, though around level 15 you can build a fort of caps anyway, depending on your Barter skill. Maybe something like that could be worth putting into Fallout 2, now that we are discussing lofty ideas? You'd need a similar weapon to cannibalize now and then, failing to do so would cause accuracy penalties and more crit failures, and the delay between needed repairs would be depending on your Repair skill, with some Science needed for energy weapons. Yeah it'd suck, but that's realism for you.

And someone should modify that barter skill so that it affects your sell price, since you always sell stuff and never buy. I heard some guy, wosshisname, did just that, it's probably worth checking out.

Oh, and if I get around to it I'll release a version with a few more options for weapon prices, ammo weight and stack size, ranging from normal to sadistically cumbersome. As in ammo comes in stacks of 5 and guns you can find yourself sell for chump change, while the ones you don't find, like the Avenger minnie, are monster expensive to buy. I also want to take a look at the maps and random encs, but that means a lot of extra compatibility work with the Megamod and the RP, so that'd take a while.

Cheers folks!

P. S.
Lazlo, I always go for an Unarmed/Throwing build, with the HtH Evade perk you can walk around with a Mega Power Fist and a Plasma Grenade and still get the AC bonus!

One thing I've always noticed about FO2 is that ammo is the true currency of the wasteland. What if we got rid of all the gold? Force the player to barter ammo for everything, including encounters with the option of paying for services. For example, in order to get combat implants or settle Cassidy's debt you should have to barter ammo instead of gold coins.

Another option would be to make two quality levels of ammo. One could be pre-war factory made ammo, and the other could be low grade post-war ammo. If random encounters only dropped cheap post-war ammo, it would put a dent in the cash flow. Pre-war ammo would be rare and very expensive, naturally.

Is this fully usable with the latest RP?, with all options installed? It works well with 2.0 but I just wanted to confirm with 2.1.1 because there are additions to it and maybe some new items that wasn't addressed in 2.1c of this mod.

I love this mod because for the first time since i played fallout 2 in 1998, i have never died so many times in a play through before, and it's refreshing!, playing without this mod seems awkward now, so many thanks to Magnus and i hope you will continue to prefect this mod.

Thank you good sir, I feel much the same way.

To clarify: this mod IS compatible, but some new critters, like Kaga, might not get the armor stats, so AP ammo won't be very good against them. Also, you may NOT install the Unarmed AP option until I release the new version, as it is currently incompatible with sfall. Everything else should be okay.

A new version is right around the corner that's been developed for the RP, but you can very well play with the current one for the time being. Some things you'll see in the new version:

Optional altered random encounters (more enemies using grenades, molotovs and unused weapons, less ammo found on dead enemies, fewer valuable weapons found early on)

Every single critter have their armor stats balanced, AP ammo is powerful when appropriate.

.45 ammo has received a tuneup.

Optional "super-unfair" ammo mode, ammo stacks cut in 4!

Enemies in the late game will use AP ammo, making them dangerous all of a sudden.

and some other stuff. Stay tuned!

Tell you the truth, I'm laying all computer games on the shelf for a while. The exception is text based MMORPGs and 25 year old hackenslashes. It's not fun "having" to spend 6 hours a day on games when you have a fiancée and a bachelor degree to attend to ;)

Which is why I need YOU! To test it. On one side, there is just so damn much ammo in the game, I'd be surprised if anything could make it hard to get. On the other side, the folder IS named "Unfair", so... I guess burst weapons will be somewhat of an extravaganza with it. Find out! Uh, when I release it, that is.

Hey guys. I recently upgraded to Windows 7, and i cannot get this mod to install. It keeps telling me "access denied" in the DOS windows for everything i try to install.

hey Magnus, any chance WR2.2 will go out with upcoming RP2.1.2?

if not i will go 2.1c with later swith (it will be possible, yea?)

Radar E 33 said:
Hey guys. I recently upgraded to Windows 7, and i cannot get this mod to install. It keeps telling me "access denied" in the DOS windows for everything i try to install.

Administrator Account, run as Administrator.

Tried to use those settings before; they do not work. I get a different error message:

"F2WR is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Could not find C:\system32\f2wr.exe. Press any key to continue"

EDIT: Realized the that .bat file was looking in the wrong location, thanks to "run as administrator". How i fixed the problem was to create a shortcut to the .bat file, right click, properties, shortcut and advanced. Then I checked, "run as administrator".

Then, I looked online for fixing .bat command parameters. Thanks to J Bosse over at the Visual Basic Development Center, i was able to get the command coding needed to get the .bat working. Use the following command lines at the very top of the (shortcut) .bat file:

@setlocal enableextensions

@cd /d "%~dp0"

Save, and then double click the shortcut. this will allow you to install the F2WR content without being denied.

Perhaps this should be put into the install guide for the next upload, for Windows 7 users?

The Site i went to:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vblanguage/thread/5a9269e0-cd38-48a1-9dde-d5c2b7dd96f9

Thanks guys.

Back