Fallout 3 Classic Music Mod [Download here]

Discussion in 'Fallout 3 and New Vegas Modding' started by oblisk, Oct 30, 2008.

1. oblisk

oblisk First time out of the vault

Nov 1, 2005

I made this because I absolutely hate the ambient background music in Fallout 3.

A really quick and dirty mod, I'll probably improve upon it later.

Fallout 3's soundtrack is pretty easy to modify, since they're in named mp3 files.

Behold! The first music "mod" for Fallout 3! Download this if you:

1) Hate the background music in Fallout 3
    2) Want to feel nostalgic
    3) Want Fallout 1+2 background music in Fallout 3

Most of the music is changed, except for script-vital music.

So far, I have found no bugs.

Remember, start the game, go to options and set the MUSIC VOLUME TO MAX!

Also, the main menu is much better now. :D

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y6L1M3EB

2. Ayeso

Ayeso First time out of the vault

Oct 30, 2008
    I hate megaupload and stuff... Mind If I rehost it on my site?

3. oblisk

Nov 1, 2005
    I don't mind!

4. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    This is basically Fallout 1/2's soundtrack put in the Falllout 3 music folder? 'coz y'know, we've got those soundtracks...

5. oblisk

Nov 1, 2005
    Yes, hence the quotes around "mod" :wink:

It's more of a minimod/time saver.

6. Millenia

Millenia First time out of the vault

Sep 30, 2006
    Thanks, I loved the background music in Fallout 2 so this'll come in handy

7. Ayeso

Ayeso First time out of the vault

Oct 30, 2008
  8. MalcomGTX

MalcomGTX First time out of the vault

Oct 30, 2008
  9. qi

qi First time out of the vault

Oct 29, 2008
    Begging much aporigies prease honorable sir, but -
    thanks for the work, but before i download, at what bitrate have you encoded the F1/F2 tunes? Anything less than 160 means no-go, for me, you see.

goodbye you sweet little naked mole rat you :(

10. oblisk

Nov 1, 2005
    Fallout 1 tracks is a CD Audio rip, but at 128kbps.

I think the Fallout 2 is also a CD rip (Was it ever released)? And it's at 192kbps. It MAY be a game rip though.

11. qi

qi First time out of the vault

Oct 29, 2008
    I will download your mod and replace MP3s as necessary, then. 8-)

but please, my sweet little persimmon, in the future, mind the sibilance of low bitrates. it's a killer for those of us on headphones, you know.

continue the revolution, all you otter-faced speaking-toasters, you. :crazy:

12. Sam Ecorners

Sam Ecorners Vault Senior Citizen
    Orderite

Jan 23, 2007
    Heh, I posted the same thing before, but somehow it got overlooked. Mine is 256 kbs, though, and it includes the backup of original music

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2ZPBCHOA

Hell, it was the first thing i did after getting the game:)

By the way, I had problems changing the levelup sound. Was anyone able to change it successfully?

13. Multidirectional

Multidirectional Mildly Dipped

Sep 12, 2008
    Started making one for myself now. :) But I do have some problems in trying to make it feel more similar to old games.

Does anyone know if it's possible to make the game NOT change playing mp3 files to those from Battle folder when fights start without toolset? Or at all?

I find myself just replacing files in most of folders with those containing silence. Like exploring music. I don't like how music is implemented in F3, it would be great if it was possible to make some tracks settlement-specific or even better, area specific. Now it just jumps randomly to another track from specific folder, usually after a fight, cause fights are too frequent to let entire track play out. At least if it played tracks by order I could make transitions between them more fluid.
    I'm looking for effect at least similar to STALKER if it isn't really possible to make it Fallouty, but it would be done with Morgan's ambient tracks anyway.

14. K-Lined

K-Lined First time out of the vault

Nov 4, 2006
    Wow, I never realized how creepy the Fallout 2 music actually is, getting jumped by ghouls just got about 100 times scarier now :shock:

Thanks.

15. quetzilla

quetzilla First time out of the vault

Jul 7, 2007
    Disabling combat music will be hard -- it's only recently that they've managed to get Oblivion to stop it's combat-music-interrupts-regular-music thing, and even then it's a bit fidgety.

16. Multidirectional

Multidirectional Mildly Dipped

Sep 12, 2008
    Well that's unfortunate. Guess I'll have to stay with music turned off in Fallout 3 for now.

17. Roflcore

Roflcore Mildly Dipped

Nov 2, 2008
    Hey

Thanks for the effort. I just want to know did you place the music acordingly? Meaning when we explore the pipboy plays desert wind or metallic monks, and when we go into a vault/cave it plays other music which fit more like for e.g. underground trouble?

18. oihrebwe

oihrebwe Still Mildly Glowing

Jul 15, 2008
    thanks to everyone who put up files, I was really getting sick of the shitty oblivion music that plays when outdoors, this is way better

19. UmbrellaMaster

UmbrellaMaster First time out of the vault

May 31, 2007
    nice.

Maybe now I'll stop feeling like I'm wandering around Morrowind instead of the wastes.

20. frosty_theaussie

frosty_theaussie Still Mildly Glowing

Nov 22, 2003
    Can somebody post the tracklisting and what songs go in which folders (ie. combat, public, explore, etc) so that those of us who already own the soundtracks can copy them over.