Fallout 3 Gamestar preview

Why does DC still even exist? I'd have thought they'd Nuke the hell out of that place since it has both the White House and the Pentagon. That would've been my prime target if I was attacking USA.

Blazerfrost said:
Why does DC still even exist? I'd have thought they'd Nuke the hell out of that place since it has both the White House and the Pentagon. That would've been my prime target if I was attacking USA.

Maybe DC built up a ton of anti-nuke defenses before the bombs fell and managed to avoid too much destruction?

Bethesda will no doubt make up some elaborate story that will cause all of NMA to groan in anger.

Where I would bomb America would depend on my goals, if I was declaring war and had an army to back me up I would bomb DC first, eliminate the leaders, make it easier for my armies to sweep upon the country in the chaos, but if I was bombing the USA just to cause panic and general terror, then I'd bomb the cities with the highest population

Blazerfrost said:
The bombing in the FO universe is bomber based. Meaning that DC would have a lot of air cover. And there are not a huge amount of strictly military targets in DC other then, say, the Pentagon which was probably already abandoned for a safer locale (read: Poseidon Oil Rig).

There is some good news and bad news here.

Bethesda on the other hand seems to want to portray them as the evil invaders. Christ, even Tactics portrayed them better than that.
You seem to be forgetting that most of the mutants are huge idiots who have spent the last century trying to kill humans or defend themselves from humans. They're probably pretty vicious, especially the ones that survive and have made it to the East.

Blazerfrost said:
Why does DC still even exist?...

Because it acts a useful hook to hang a story on? You have to think in terms of narrative, as well as realism.

There is great history of including iconic landmarks in post-apocalyptic sci-fi in order to help convey the sense of destruction. A dusty, flat wasteland could simply be any desert, it is only by the ruins and relics that we know it was anything before. Would the Statue of Liberty really have survived the devastation in the Planet of the Apes? Would the dome of the Capitol not have crumbled into the earth in Logan's Run?

On the issue of canonical story; there are always choices that need to be made within a branching, multi-resolution narrative universe like that of Fallout. There are definite myths and histories, but there are also some aspects of the story which would be heavily dependent on which ending is considered to be true. It would be possible to create a story where the Enclave wasn't stopped, or the Brotherhood became expansionist, or mutants were organised under a leader as a conquering army. None of these things is strictly off-canon, as long as they are dealt with sensibly and with respect to the continuity of known histories.

Don't be ridiculous. The Enclave is stopped in every single ending of Fallout 2. Game overs don't count for anything.
The BoS becoming expansionalist would only fit in with Fallout 1's Steel Plague ending, which isn't canon.

Bernard Bumner said:
On the issue of canonical story; there are always choices that need to be made within a branching, multi-resolution narrative universe like that of Fallout. There are definite myths and histories, but there are also some aspects of the story which would be heavily dependent on which ending is considered to be true. It would be possible to create a story where the Enclave wasn't stopped, or the Brotherhood became expansionist, or mutants were organised under a leader as a conquering army. None of these things is strictly off-canon, as long as they are dealt with sensibly and with respect to the continuity of known histories.

Hmm, I don't recall beth saying that they won't consider FO2 as canon... They said that Tactics and PoS aren't canon but I don't remember anything about FO2 not being canon...
Oh, but just ignore me, your fan-fiction is so great and Falloutish- keep on posting it good sir.

Vault 69er said:
Don't be ridiculous.

Okay, I won't.

The Enclave is stopped in every single ending of Fallout 2. Game overs don't count for anything.
The BoS becoming expansionalist would only fit in with Fallout 1's Steel Plague ending, which isn't canon.

(Being Devil's Advocate...) Why don't game overs count for anything? They are just another possible ending amongst many; just because they aren't victory scenarios, doesn't make them any less real in a branching narrative. Still, it would be a very glib way of disregarding inconvenient threads of the old stories.

Canon elements in Fallout are really only defined by Fallout 2, and equally there is a certain amount of wiggle-room provided by the multiple endings of number 2 for defining canon. Lattitude is also gained by relocating. Bethseda have to define what they consider to be canon, along with creating new elements and adding to the myth.

The Enclave could - clearly have according to Bethesda - survive in some form, either by the what if scenario of player failure in Fallout 2, or in a more limited capacity via some eastern outpost surviving

The Brotherhood becoming expansionist being realistic would entirely depend upon how it was dealt with. They are the effective superpower in the world, and isolationist or regional superpowers have a long history of becoming expansionist superpowers, e.g. Japan.

These things are not inherently not canon (insofar as they are permitted outcomes of what happens in the various endings of Fallout 2), but their plausibility depends upon good writing as well as their continuity.

black said:
Hmm, I don't recall beth saying that they won't consider FO2 as canon... They said that Tactics and PoS aren't canon but I don't remember anything about FO2 not being canon...
Oh, but just ignore me, your fan-fiction is so great and Falloutish- keep on posting it good sir.

They can't stop me...

Well, as I say, what is strictly canon for Fallout 2 will be defined by the third game - if that game is good enough to be considered canon in and of itself.

Look, I'm not going to try to predict how Bethesda are going to handle the story and any apparently discontinuous elements. There is a possibility that they're simply going to ride roughshod over canon, whilst trumpeting the idea that if you don't like the new-and-improved-canon, then it is because you're a philistine stuck in the late 1990's.

If it was up to me, I would have taken the opportunity of the relocation to build a new myth, precisely because it avoids the issues of canon, but also because peoples and cultures are much more likely to be very localized in a post-apocalyptic world where infrastructure has broken down.

Still, what do I know?

Player's failure in F2 would mean everything being killed off by the Enclave virus.

Even so, credibility that Enclave would want to 'start again' without their base of operations and resources and that they'd like to run a radio station is what... 0%? -10%?

Maybe there's a location called Enclave that has a radio station and has nothing to do with F2 Enclave...

Back