Fallout 3 hits Guinness Book of Records

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Guinness Record Books' desperate attempt to become relevant again by creating a really large number of gaming categories continues.<blockquote>Bethesda Softworks’ Lead Designer Todd Howard was awarded with the record for the Fastest-selling Multi Platform Role-Playing Game (RPG) after Fallout 3 sold over 4.7 million copies in its first week on sale from October 28th to November 4th 2008.</blockquote>Spotted on GameBanshee.

I can't find the news on GameBanshee. I am blind?

/Edit: But I found it on the other link.

Wow... this is pretty desperate on Guinness' behalf. They might as well have the category "Most popular cheese sold in Wisconsin," "CD Cover with the most primary colours on it," or "Heaviest leather shoes in a size 10."

Seriously, "Fastest-selling Multi Platform Role-Playing Game (RPG)"? When do I get the world record for "Most posts on a Fallout fan-site by a member named Atomic Cowboy"?

Besides, isn't this statistic a function of population? Assuming any sort of population growth in the next sixty years,* this record will have to be updated constantly. Even games that are less popular per capita will have higher numbers than Fallout 3 in the present day.

*We all know what's going to happen then.

Such a silly thing Guinness has become... :roll:

Edit: Brother None, where is that comic from that's in your sig?

Bofast said:
Edit: Brother None, where is that comic from that's in your sig?

Some EC Comic. Weird Fantasy or Weird Science. I don't quite remember.

It's a few pages of Wally Wood describing and drawing the possible worlds he can create. It's pretty rockin'.

You guys are pessimistic about everything

I think it's cool that a Fallout game holds a Guinness world record, a little positivity never hurt anyone.

Playcircus said:

Yeah, there are totally no news threads at all that get optimistic responses.

Actually, I found Guinness Games record book silly when I first heard about it. It's fun in the normal Guinness Record book way, but boy they go down into the subdivisions a lot, and that coupled with the fact that most of the numbers aren't very accurate all make the whole exercise kind of pointless.

I did not know there is a guiness games book. I used to be a huge guiness book of records fan when I was a kid, now I'm more into guiness beer.

Playcircus said:

I think it's cool that a Fallout game holds a Guinness world record, a little positivity never hurt anyone.
Suddenly I had a terrible flashback about chess being boring because it's turn-based. Brrr.

Anyway, if bethesda's programists were as "talented" as their marketing staff they would probably make pretty good games!

Fastest-selling Multi Platform Role-Playing Game (RPG)

What won the fastest-selling pc role playing game? And what about the fastest-selling xbox360 rpg? And what about the fastest selling ps3 rpg?

This is pretty stupid. Sounds like Guinness just google'd this info, came across the 4.7 million shipped figure from last year and decided that this was fact!

Back