Fallout 3 in PC Gamer US, Emil & Todd on The Escapist

Per

Vault Consort
Staff member
Admin
The Bethesda Blog rolls a few newsbits into one, including upcoming magazine coverage:<blockquote>Subscribers of PC Gamer (US) should be on the lookout for the August issue in their mailbox in the next few days. The Fallout 3 cover story spans seven pages and includes hands-on impressions from Fallout fan Dan Stapleton, new screenshots, and more.</blockquote>Furthermore there's a link to a three-page article on The Escapist on world building in games. An excerpt:<blockquote>Oblivion Lead Designer Emil Pagliarulo believes that we have delivered the promise of virtual reality that was often discussed and hyped in the '90s. Through first-person visuals, realistic physics and simulated time and weather, game developers have brought about the visions of immersive VR, but without the bulky headgear and excessive wires.

When you play an MMOG, a game like Oblivion or Bethesda's current big project, Fallout 3, "you're not controlling that character, you are that character," Pagliarulo says. "You get a sense of control over the world that you can't find anywhere else."

A fellow Bethesda world-builder, Executive Producer Todd Howard, describes these virtual worlds as existing in two layers, the believable world and the game world.

"The allure [of the believable world] is that players can imprint themselves," Howard says. "Players think 'I want to be this person, I want to do this thing!' and it's our job to fulfill as many of those ideas as possible."

To do that job, Howard believes in one principle above all others: "Great games are played, not made." He explains that if you don't approach the development of games as a gamer, then you're all about the process and not the product. "It's pure entertainment you can tweak. You have to know constantly 'What's the vibe? What does it feel like?' in order to tweak the story and the world and get them to highlight each other. ... And the simpler everything is, the better it all works together."</blockquote>Finally there is mention of Fallout 3 appearing on yet another "most anticipated" list for E3. We've been giving those a pass as largely pointless, but if anyone cares, Games Trailer joins IGN and Next Generation in looking forward to Fallout 3 pretty much more than any other game at E3 (with the caveat that it "must not already have been completely over-exposed").

Well that is laughable.

When you play an MMOG, a game like Oblivion or Bethesda's current big project, Fallout 3, "you're not controlling that character, you are that character," Pagliarulo says. "You get a sense of control over the world that you can't find anywhere else."

Wait, So in Oblivion you had control over the world? Oh yea you can't kill everyone, guards respawn, enemies respawn in dungeons in the exact same places....

The list goes on.

As for being "the character", I feel that kind of fucks itself in the ass when you get NPCs swinging randomly at walls and you hear the exact same voice for EVERY FUCKING PERSON.

Having said that i liked oblivion, not great but not bad.

^Useless piece of info tbh

What a load of bullshit puked by a bunch of assholes who don't know the first thing about role-playing...

but you can "do things",
"doing things" is essential in gaming 2.0 thus a good thing and future of all games
personally i dont like "doing things" and larping inside a game (or at all for that matter), but im old and stupid, so my opinion is meaningless

and todds outlook on game design puzzels me a bit
("the simpler the better" ... i see, i know other from programming field: "as simple as possible, but no simpler", but what do i know)

Re: Fallout 3 in PC Gamer US, Emil & Todd on The Escapis

Per said:
The Bethesda Blog rolls a few newsbits into one, including upcoming magazine coverage:<blockquote>Subscribers of PC Gamer (US) should be on the lookout for the August issue in their mailbox in the next few days. The Fallout 3 cover story spans seven pages and includes hands-on impressions from Fallout fan Dan Stapleton, new screenshots, and more.</blockquote>

Who the fuck is Dan Stapleton? Why doesn't someone at NMA, the longest standing Fallout fan community, get to have hands-on impressions about the game?

Because we are just a bunch of fucktards that mean nothing to the franchise and should just move along. Especially people like Killap, who poured hours of his own time into Fallout 2 in an attempt to perfect it. Thanks, Bethesda.

Re: Fallout 3 in PC Gamer US, Emil & Todd on The Escapis

Makagulfazel said:
Per said:
The Bethesda Blog rolls a few newsbits into one, including upcoming magazine coverage:<blockquote>Subscribers of PC Gamer (US) should be on the lookout for the August issue in their mailbox in the next few days. The Fallout 3 cover story spans seven pages and includes hands-on impressions from Fallout fan Dan Stapleton, new screenshots, and more.</blockquote>

Who the fuck is Dan Stapleton? Why doesn't someone at NMA, the longest standing Fallout fan community, get to have hands-on impressions about the game?

Because we are just a bunch of fucktards that mean nothing to the franchise and should just move along. Especially people like Killap, who poured hours of his own time into Fallout 2 in an attempt to perfect it. Thanks, Bethesda.

I was just going to ask that. "Fallout Fan" Dan Stapleton, huh? Where the hell came all those "Fallout Fans" that appeared out of lurk-age as soon as Fallout 3 was announced?

kyle said:
but you can "do things",
"doing things" is essential in gaming 2.0 thus a good thing and future of all games
personally i dont like "doing things" and larping inside a game (or at all for that matter), but im old and stupid, so my opinion is meaningless

and todds outlook on game design puzzels me a bit
("the simpler the better" ... i see, i know other from programming field: "as simple as possible, but no simpler", but what do i know)

Not exactly a new phenomenon So you weren't a fan of ultima 5-7?

Where you could bake bread, etc? I always thought that was great. I mean it was silly in a way, but it WAS immersive.

It's the same type of thing as Fallout's "explody pants".. if you think of something and try it in the game world and it works, then it becomes (to me anyway) a rewarding experience. Anything that rewards player creativity is good in my book as long as it isn't game breaking.

EDIT:

Also.. it's not about "LARP'ing"... it all about the game world reacting as you expect it should based on it's rules.

EDIT-EDIT:

I say on "it's rules" because obviously they might not be the same as reality. If in the game I am supposed to be super-strong, then I would expect that the world reacted accordingly.

Wow. That's beyond retarded.

When you play an MMOG, a game like Oblivion or Bethesda's current big project, Fallout 3, "you're not controlling that character, you are that character," Pagliarulo says

Hence, missing the entire point of a role playing game. And I've never in my entire life felt like I was a character in a video game.
The allure [of the believable world] is that players can imprint themselves," Howard says. "Players think 'I want to be this person, I want to do this thing!' and it's our job to fulfill as many of those ideas as possible."
I want to struggle for survival in a post apocalyptic world?

I want to be a genocidal mad man, and nuke an entire town, for a real estate developer?

No. It's a game. When people play it, they realize they are playing a game. If you hear differently....the person you are talking to is a moron.

And since when does a first person view feel realistic? That's a load of bull shit too.

Well, I can understand the "man, I want to be my character now!"-feeling. But the most time I play some "RPGs", I think "why the hell can I NOT do this and this now?!"

Xenophile said:
Also.. it's not about "LARP'ing"... it all about the game world reacting as you expect it should based on it's rules.

article said:
I had just entered the world of Morrowind. I had enough problems without this guy in my face, whining about his stupid ring. One well-aimed arrow shot later, and I found myself squatting in his secluded Seyda Neen cottage. But it wasn't just somewhere to keep my spare weapons and armor. I found myself decorating. I kept the place clean. It was my home.

i ment this, and i cant find any plausible explanation as to why would one want to play a game in such a way ...

as for 'immersive' ... heh, i find good plot WAY more important for 'immersive' factor (i walked through Torment recently, damn me if it wasnt 'immersive' as hell - try to compare with say Morrowind ...)

But it seems as if they've redefined "immersive"

To me, that word has always been synonymous with "engrossing" and whatnot.

But, people are using it to mean "I feel like I'm really there"!!! type stuff. It seems silly to me.

And even Bethesda knows it, they just don't acknowledge that they know it. I mean, they include a town that you can nuke. Obviously that's not something one would want to do in real life. But, doing it in a video game is fine....and one feels no remorse. Why? Because it's a game!!! When playing a game, you are always aware that you are playing a game.

i ment this, and i cant find any plausible explanation as to why would one want to play a game in such a way
Me neither.

Plus, when you murder someone. You don't get to automatically keep their house, and have nobody notice.

"The allure [of the believable world] is that players can imprint themselves," Howard says. "Players think 'I want to be this person, I want to do this thing!' and it's our job to fulfill as many of those ideas as possible."

I don't want to be a teenager.

Oblivion Lead Designer Emil Pagliarulo believes that we have delivered the promise of virtual reality that was often discussed and hyped in the '90s. Through first-person visuals, realistic physics and simulated time and weather, game developers have brought about the visions of immersive VR, but without the bulky headgear and excessive wires.

Nice admission. They actually believe they can convince people that 3D graphics on a computer screen is reality.

To reiterate:

Emil Pagliarulo believes that we have delivered the promise of virtual reality

These people are delusional.

Well by what they showed us in oblivion, bethesda's idea of control over the game is to chose which quests to do first and which ( of the one's who can be killed ) npc's to kill :?

I suppose there are a lot of people out there that value graphics, and contemporary 3D games feel like reality to them ... -_-, but surely they're not the majority .. hopefully

Why isn't any of you getting filthy rich, to build a good gaming company ?

Describing an FPS game as virtual reality has got to be the best marketing plan in the history of marketing plans.

Why isn't any of you getting filthy rich, to build a good gaming company ?
Hey...wait a minute. Why aren't I?

Good point. Tomorrow I'll go out and get filthy rich. Why didn't I think of that sooner?

Back