Fallout 3 out in Europe

Just for comparison, this is how I would personally rate it against other recent action RPGs:

Mass Effect: 6.0
The Witcher: 7.5
Oblivion: 5.0
Gothic 3: 6.5 or maybe a bit higher

Even the original Fallouts would score in the low-mid 8's, with F2 being the lower score.

PS:T would get a 9.0 or slightly less and BG2 would be no more than 8.0.

Fallout 3 doesn't rank any higher than a 5 in my book.

Karak said:
Beelzebud said:
Look, I have been a major doubter in Bethesda since this game was announced, but I actually tried the game out.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Care to elaborate? You've been pretty consistent in bashing Bethesda yourself thus far...so how is it they suprised you so immensely? Some random quotes to help you along...

I think it's just stupid. Bethesda has no idea what dark humor is, or what the idea of the retro-future was.

Starting out as a baby has got to be one of the dumbest ideas i've ever seen implemented in a game.

As an old fan of the series, they can forget about getting me to buy 1 copy of this, let alone 10.

When you cut through the PR bullshit, what we have here is a Fallout Total Conversion for Oblivion.

I think the thing that bugs me the most is just their utter lack of respect for the source material...

As much as I dislike Bethesda for what they're doing to Fallout, my hate is infinite for the owners of Interplay, for allowing it to happen.

At this point I've just resigned myself to the fact that Bethesda, like it or not, owns the IP now, and are free to rape it as hard as they see fit. And rape it they will.

Yeah, those were my opinions back before I had actually played the game. Bethesda marketed this game all wrong, and actually did a dis-service to their own work.

I was wrong. Simple as that. Next time I'll stop before jumping on the negativity bandwagon. After years of seeing Fallout shit on by Interplay, my knee-jerk reaction was to immediately distrust Bethesda.

The game plays like Deus Ex in the Fallout setting. Somehow I just can't hate it. Is it faithful to the original game-play mechanics? Not at all. However they managed to created a cool game out of the setting. I still maintain they should have called it something besides "3", but I can't deny that I'm having fun with the game.

I'm playing an evil character, and there is just as many opportunities for that type of character as there was in Fallout, and arguably more.

There may be opportunities to be evil, but are there really any indepth consequences?

For example, FO1/2, if you didn't certain things, you changed the ending, do you think there will be anything along those lines?

I'm playing it, and I have to disagree with you regarding the setting, but hey, each to their own, right?

got it fast this morning. playing right now.

...well.... after being used to mass effect's visuals, i think i have to play some nethack to get back to older graphics before continuing fallout 3 :lol:

Pope Viper said:
There may be opportunities to be evil, but are there really any indepth consequences?

For example, FO1/2, if you didn't certain things, you changed the ending, do you think there will be anything along those lines?

I'm playing it, and I have to disagree with you regarding the setting, but hey, each to their own, right?

Indeed. I don't expect to have everyone agree with me about this.

I think the thing that shocks me is that I actually like it.

The vault opening and character creation totally blows. I really wish the game didn't start like it does. By the time I left the vault I was really bummed out. Once I started exploring though, and the thrill of looting old pre-war ruins hit me, I remembered the first time playing through Fallout how much of a kick I got out of just searching for random loot.

So far the choice/consequence seems about right. I blew up megaton and cut myself off from many quests right there. I can't speak to how they'll handle the endings because I haven't beaten it yet, and I don't look up spoilers.

Are there aspects of the game I wish were different, or more close to the original two? Without a doubt yes. However, I simply don't think Bethesda did as bad of a job as I was expecting them to.

I haven't posted here for a while but I've been stalking almost every post about FO3.

Aside from the already mentioned bugs, errors and design blunders:

I've just reached Megaton in the game and guess what; [spoiler:5c884823b9] before you even get to learn that one of the NPCs in Megaton (Leo Stahl) has a drug problem, I got the option to talk him out of his addiction. Then I went to the Doctor's office and persuaded him to tell me what Leo Stahl's medical problem was which was of course his drug addiction but my character had already known that somehow and completed the quest already. [/spoiler:5c884823b9]

There are some other issues with the graphics [spoiler:5c884823b9] like people walking into each other, or breaking their necks to talk to you if you started a conversation while not directly facing them.[/spoiler:5c884823b9]

This game is definitely not worth purchasing. I will continue playing it because I have a day off tomorrow but...

This game is definitely not worth a purchase.

Not worth a purchase.

Not worth it.

Played 6 hours so far and I'm not really enjoying it.:S I followed the development closely and much like the other real Fallout fans, was extremely against some (if not most) of the things Bethesda were doing with this game. But now that I got it, I really, really want to like it, but it's just not happening.:/

It doesn't feel like a Fallout to be honest. [spoiler:53e62ffe2b]The first couple of hours feel really, really rushed and you're fighting fucking super mutants within a couple hours.:S Too much combat everywhere, I made a 'talker' character and so far I haven't been able to really talk my way out of anything.:D Only thing I used speech for was gaining more info on certain things, but not as a means of avoiding combat. Then again I mostly met 'shoot first... don't ask anything' enemies thus far, but I did have a brief run in with some sort of bounty hunters hellbent on killing me, there was a dialogue option in the vein of 'can't we talk about this?' but it had no speech check and it was the last thing I said before I had to kill them all. And you've got the already mentioned bad dialogue & overall quite bad voice-acting, NPCs talking total nonsense to each other, the game constantly forcing you into various underground tunels and the 'enchanted' clothes, man! W T F is that all about? You put a particular coat on and boom, suddenly you're better @ small arms.:S I hate the fact that I cannot get out of VATS once I set it off. Really annoying when you start wasting heaps of ammo whenever an enemy ducks behind cover and your character just keeps unloading like crazy.:( Got my house and the whole decorating thing seems absolutely ridiculous (Vault-theme? Seriously?), stupid and meaningless karma system (since you can always change your alignment by either doing a couple good deeds or bad IMO), my character knowning what ghouls were despite not even talking to one ever before and when I did talk to one, my character was again clueless as to what it was... list goes on. It's all been mentioned before, but it's true.
[/spoiler:53e62ffe2b]
Point is I keep running into shit that almost immediately takes me out of the game and breaks the immersion. The first two Fallout would completely suck me in and I could barely tear myself away to go pee.:D This on the other hand... no way.:/ I actually want to enjoy it but the game won't let me. Same shit as with Oblivion, wanted to like it, just couldn't. Started playing that thing like 3 times, always lost interest. I feel the same thing will happen here as well.

Ok, so I came in contact with the Brotherhood of Steel. It was pretty nice to see the blue logo once again but wtf is up with having to travel through tunnels all the time. It would be so much better if they actually spent all that time making the tunnels into making more buildings enterable. It's really annoying that you cannot travel to new locations above the ground and have to spend literally hours to find the right tunnel and to top it off fight creatures that look like the Power Rangers final bosses. Bleh.

Yeah, I played a speech character too. I was wholly disapointed with the seemingly non existant use of it. Sure, I could use it to get 500 caps instead of 100. I could even use it sometimes to convince people that saving a loved one wasn't worth it, which shouldn't be a speech check, but a simple "Fuck Off" from the PC.
I came across two instances where I was glad I had speech, and only one of them avoided combat.... sorta.

[spoiler:df14222cc3] When you are in Ravenfall at the end of the game, you can use speech to convince President "Eden" to destroy himself and the enclave. One of the few parts of the game I enjoyed. The second instance is at the very very end of the game, when you confront Colonol August in project purity. You can convince him to walk away, avoiding combat with him, but his soldiers still attack you. Lame.[/spoiler:df14222cc3]

under the weight of I don't know how many 90% shaped hammers wielded by 'feral reviewers' and with comments which could only be called positive being made here on NMA i fear for my RAD-burned sole in so far as I now am considering buying the game... sooner rather than later :( I'm of a mixed feeling right now, part of me is crying like a 2D isometric little girl and occasionally yells "don't do it man! its NOT Fallout!!" but the other parts of me see all these screen shots (which Ok, they're no 10/10 but they're good enough for me, I've never really been a GFX whore...) and the people which are all like "yeah this is ok" and I yearn for moar fallout, fair enough i'm replaying FO2 pretty much right now (currently wandering between NCR / redding / Vault city, questing and grinding XP)

Thing is though, I've done it all soooo many times before, and with this new game which will be able to be acquired within but hours shining like some flickering light bulb in a disused warehouse, I think I may finally bite the bullet and go play FO3.

Am I wrong for wanting this? have I given up on Fallout, do i need to seek professional medical help?

I've bought it the 28th, from my local game vendor.

I also saw someone buying it at the supermarket that day.

Belgium rules.

got the game, played a litte bit. so far I'm enjoying it, but I have a list of negative stuff as well. I'm gonna play for a while, maybe even complete the game, then try to sum up my thought on it.

Back