Fallout 3: Why the hate?

Ehm, yeah, how about you people stop burning the guy for essentially no reason?

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to say that Iendicis has been very amiable for what most of us originally perceived as a troll (it does seem like he got the point when it was elaborated upon).

Oh, and that link you put in your last post was hilarious Iendicis.

:lol: Good read.

I feel sorry for the poor guy.
He must sit up at night and wonder why nobody on the internet will love him...

Sorrow said:
I believe that it's because of the dark, grim and solemn NMA colour theme.

What am I the only one who uses the happy white theme?
Granted, I'm only doing that because the dark theme constantly reminds me that my vidcard is dying a slow painful red pixel death. But still.

Aw, thanks. Internets rule.

Yeah, as I said in a PM, I think I will stop posting and just lurk, because I'm a little (or a lot) unqualified to post here. I don't really know a whole lot about the franchise, but as I'm discovering it now, I think this is a good site to bookmark.

Sorry for the trolling. See you all around.

(Yes, that post a page back is GREAT! You guys think that green and black is bad, that 1up board is freaking blinding.)

Vault 69er said:
Sorrow said:

Granted, I'm only doing that because the dark theme constantly reminds me that my vidcard is dying a slow painful red pixel death. But still.
I just started to use the happy white grey-blue theme :) . I changed the theme, because I changed my computer colour theme to blue to invite more positive energy into my life :) .
I feel more optimistic now :) . I started to learn scripting and 3d graphics :) .

Sorrow said:
Vault 69er said:
Sorrow said:

I just started to use the happy white grey-blue theme :) . I changed the theme, because I changed my computer colour theme to blue to invite more positive energy into my life :) .
I feel more optimistic now :) . I started to learn scripting and 3d graphics :) .

now go get litestep.

Iendicis said:
Fallout is not about graphics...well interesting point there about books. I'm talking about how Fallout's points would be more literal that vague bars on the bottom of the screen that most reasonable players don't read. Not that it's bad, it's just that in gaming, I would prefer to experience it myself than just read about it. Like reading travel magazines instead of actually seeing the Statue of Liberty or something.

You mean the dialog box explaining everything you click on? That's actually one of my most favorite features of fallout. It allowed me to use my imagination and enjoy the world in a much different way. At times it made me laugh my ass off. If you played the first 2 games you would understand that. All the writing in the game is what made me get so attached to it. The ISO view is just something that grew on me and I wont play another fallout if it doesn't have it. The ISO view offers superior control and game play experience. Instead of looking at a game and thinking oh shit where the fuck do I go next. I think to myself; gee... where do I want to go next? I move the mouse and it moves to a different location. And instantly I'm stunned to find a new building for me too loot, or some people to talk to. And when I look at the stylish graphics and click on something of interest, it gives me even more gratitude and explains even more to me; giving me more insight about the game and the area. I'm happy fallout didn't have Next gen graphics like all you posers claim it should of had. Fallout didn't focus on graphics, it focused on whats important; and that is game play. The game looks unimportant at first, then right when you start to play; it pulls you in and you just have to know more! You just want to explore new places and not places added in the game just because the developers thought there needs to be a set amount of levels and 400 more guys to kill for no reason at all. I was so happy when I finally killed off the slavers at the den; there were about 19+ guys to kill. And the amount of guys I kill in diablo, the feeling I got from fallout doesn't even compared to diablo; even if I slaughtered diablo and 300 minions. I killed 19+ guys that were challenging and after I was done I made a friend with a funny personality. Does this make sense? I think the fact you said the information that explains things is kind of pointless well it just proves that console gamers lack intelligence and imagination. Its like they need instant gratification or they will cry.

Why did you resurrect this thread, goffy? You don't seem to have read the whole thing, and that's sad. Just wanted to pile on abuse, am I right?

Oh well. I'll finish the story of this thread.

So I held a one on one discussion with Iendicis. It started here, and continued through Private Messages. Only way to get anything done.

He ended up not only going back and trying Fallout again- from what he said in his last message he ended up really liking it! Incredible.

Adding to the wonders, he admitted he was wrong. "Wrong" is a nebulous concept, but I got the point. He realized he'd misinterpreted what Fallout was. He independently came to the realization that Fallout was meant to hearken back to Pen and Paper games, and once that happened it all fell into place.

Iendicis got the point. Spectacularly so. What a difference a tiny little overture can make... Well, if 1000 words or so is tiny.

The important thing is, he came to all of these realizations basically on his own. I talked, he listened, then he applied the new viewpoint to his experiences and decided his own was flawed. Then he started over and came to his own, independent conclusions.

It was a great conversation in general, far better than nearly all of the ones I've had with people here. A few notable exceptions, of course.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't just force your viewpoint on someone else. It doesn't work. Telling them they're an idiot because they like First Person more than Isometric, calling them a drooling console fanboy, etc, it doesn't work. It's pointless.

It's just as stupid as when people come on here for no reason other than to troll NMA.

However, not everyone is a troll worth of nothing more than stale vitriol. Sometimes underneath the text, there's somebody still capable of being convinced. Acting like a rabid mongrel doesn't do that. It just adds to NMA's bad name... not that there's much we can do about that, with the print media joining in now. :roll: Still, every bit helps.

Food for thought, right?

Edit: By the way goffy, interesting that you bring up the subject of "posers". Coincidentally enough, that was a point brought up in the conversation with Iendicis!

It wasn't directed at him, either. Mind-boggling, I know.

Chew on that for a bit. Look inside yourself. You might find the answer there.

Good lord, I sound like a 1980s after school special.

Edit 2: I'm probably going to get yelled at for backseat moderating. Also, with my luck this will end up in the VATS. Oh well, though.

I came on this discussion belatedly, via PC Perspective's article on PC and console gaming dated 27 Aug. Here's my 2 cents.

Let's look at this differently. I'm a fan of both "Sound of Music" and "Star Wars". But try to remake Star Wars in the style of Sound of Music and I'll protest fervently.

Please keep FO3 true to its FO1/FO2 roots.

Kan-Kerai said:
Why did you resurrect this thread, goffy? You don't seem to have read the whole thing, and that's sad. Just wanted to pile on abuse, am I right?

Oh well. I'll finish the story of this thread.

So I held a one on one discussion with Iendicis. It started here, and continued through Private Messages. Only way to get anything done.

He ended up not only going back and trying Fallout again- from what he said in his last message he ended up really liking it! Incredible.

Adding to the wonders, he admitted he was wrong. "Wrong" is a nebulous concept, but I got the point. He realized he'd misinterpreted what Fallout was. He independently came to the realization that Fallout was meant to hearken back to Pen and Paper games, and once that happened it all fell into place.

Iendicis got the point. Spectacularly so. What a difference a tiny little overture can make... Well, if 1000 words or so is tiny.

The important thing is, he came to all of these realizations basically on his own. I talked, he listened, then he applied the new viewpoint to his experiences and decided his own was flawed. Then he started over and came to his own, independent conclusions.

It was a great conversation in general, far better than nearly all of the ones I've had with people here. A few notable exceptions, of course.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't just force your viewpoint on someone else. It doesn't work. Telling them they're an idiot because they like First Person more than Isometric, calling them a drooling console fanboy, etc, it doesn't work. It's pointless.

It's just as stupid as when people come on here for no reason other than to troll NMA.

However, not everyone is a troll worth of nothing more than stale vitriol. Sometimes underneath the text, there's somebody still capable of being convinced. Acting like a rabid mongrel doesn't do that. It just adds to NMA's bad name... not that there's much we can do about that, with the print media joining in now. :roll: Still, every bit helps.

Food for thought, right?

Edit: By the way goffy, interesting that you bring up the subject of "posers". Coincidentally enough, that was a point brought up in the conversation with Iendicis!

It wasn't directed at him, either. Mind-boggling, I know.

Chew on that for a bit. Look inside yourself. You might find the answer there.

Good lord, I sound like a 1980s after school special.

Edit 2: I'm probably going to get yelled at for backseat moderating. Also, with my luck this will end up in the VATS. Oh well, though.
Your right in a lot of ways, I was a pretty rude. For that I am sorry. I just thought the INFO box on the bottom left was essential to fallout. I don't know what others think, but thats one of the main things I show people when I show them fallout. And honestly, thats one of the biggest problems I had with fallout tactics, it lacked information in the INFO box. If Bethesda adds this, thats another point for them. Seriously, the INFO box is funny as hell and really did allow me to use my imagination. Anyhow I apologize.

Why the hate?

Allright, I'm a new guy here, though I've been lurking around for quite a while now. To be honest, I've been quite puzzled by the hate for F3, and generally dont think it'll be that bad. Yes, I've played Fallout and Fallout 2 before, though I daresay not the the extent of the hardcore fanbase here. Still, I would like to know why you lot have been so pessimistic about it. After all, to be honest, I've been hearing a lot of bad press about you guys from other forums, and I really hope I didnt just create an account into another forum full of trolls, haters, and people who just won't be reasoned with. That's the main reason why I would like to know people's intelligent opinions on why F3 would... suck.

Personally, in my opinion (I know better now than not to start all my sentences with that line) , I'm withholding all judgement till' after the game comes out. If it's bad, heck, I'll probably complain, get angry and hate Beth for it. But if it turns out surprisingly good, then I won't hold anything against Beth. What really irks me is that we arent in possession of a lot of facts pertaining to the game itself, on whether it'll be good or crappy. All we now know, is that Beth has implemented a whole new system, destroyed the Isometric point of view that fallout fans love and screwed up the lore. (Oh and a list of other offences I wont go into...) But who knows, it COULD actually be good. After all, people who have played it at say, PAX, generally commented on it being good, not just official people mind you.

Another thing I want to query, is why everyone (generalising there again *slaps self*) demands that Fallout 3 be... well a Fallout game. Okay. I sounded really stupid there. But the question still stands. This is the way I see it : If devs don't go for something new, the mainstream will blast them. If devs don't follow the classics, the cults will blast them. If devs go in the middle, the cults will blast them and the mainstream will still love them. Honestly, how many reviews have you seen with reviewers talking about it "being a good game, except many elements are recycled". I understand the acute feeling of loss over the classic elements of Fallout, but face it. The mainstream have the say. The mainstream have the money. And the mainstream are demanding more games like COD4 or Halo. Which are not ... I repeat... Are unenjoyable. I quite enjoyed COD4 for example. But I stray from my point. What I'm trying to say is the that the bane of being part of a long-established hardcore fan base is that you're a minority. Heck, I think the devs of Bethesda understand the plight you lot feel now. But they have jobs. Of which they do not want to be fired from for not making a game that caters to the masses.

SO that's about it, my point of view. How 'bout yours?

I daresay I will be flamed out of existence for this.

I'll just say that I never really liked any of Bethesda's games...the ones I tried were boring (Daggerfall, Morrowind) and Oblivion looked incredibly stupid to me from gameplay videos. Now, I've seen enough of Fallout 3 that I'm pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy it...

I guess these are points that have been discussed to death. To me, it just seems that Fallout 3 won't have the elements I loved from the original game. I don't think that Bethesda will be able to get the right dark humour, and feel for the game that BIS had(see: fatman).

This is not to say that Bethesda are doing it right for the masses that want more Bioshocks, CoD and etc. but they could have done that with an original title and not touch the Fallout world and left Troika to make us happy.(after PoS, not too many more people here want to live with another dissapointment, or so it seems)

During the first interviews I read that the developers all had Fallout in their laptops, so I was hoping that it would be done right but as more and more information came out it just didn't seem that any of them had ever touched Fallout without the Bloody Mess perk.

I find that people here are more able of intelligent conversation than other boards, but maybe I'm biased because I like Fallout so much *shrug*

Re: Why the hate?

Corerosion said:
That's the main reason why I would like to know people's intelligent opinions on why F3 would... suck.
We had millions of threads about that. Just do a little search and you will find that many people state opinions more sophisticated than just "F3 sucks, kthxbai!" Or you can just believe the NMA-bashers on other boards. Your choice.

Corerosion said:
What really irks me is that we arent in possession of a lot of facts pertaining to the game itself, on whether it'll be good or crappy.
Is it forbidden to have an opinion about what we know until now and discuss the things we like or don't like about the stuff they showed so far? I just don't understand arguments like that.

Corerosion said:
Another thing I want to query, is why everyone (generalising there again *slaps self*) demands that Fallout 3 be... well a Fallout game.
You can't be serious

Corerosion said:
I understand the acute feeling of loss over the classic elements of Fallout, but face it. The mainstream have the say. The mainstream have the money. And the mainstream are demanding more games like COD4 or Halo. Which are not ... I repeat... Are unenjoyable. I quite enjoyed COD4 for example.
That's just bullshit. Want to make a game like COD4 or Halo because it's a cash cow and the mainstream wants it? Fine, nobody has a problem with that and the game will probably be enjoyable. Heck, I liked CoD4, so what? You just don't buy the rights for making a sequel to an RPG and transform it into COD5 because the mainstream doesn't like RPGs. Where's the logic in that?

Corerosion said:
Heck, I think the devs of Bethesda understand the plight you lot feel now. But they have jobs. Of which they do not want to be fired from for not making a game that caters to the masses.
Then why buy the Fallout license, eh?

Well, yeah, from what i've seen, Bethesda should have left the fallout world untouched. But then they would have wasted their money buying the rights, no?

Yes it would have.

It just seems that Fallout 3 will be Hines' notch on the belt because his version of fallout will sell more copies than the other 2 combined. Not that it means anything to the quality of the game, but it's just the sad truth =(

Back