Fallout 3: Why the hate?

Coreresion said:
Allright, I'm a new guy here, though I've been lurking around for quite a while now. To be honest, I've been quite puzzled by the hate for F3, and generally dont think it'll be that bad. Yes, I've played Fallout and Fallout 2 before, though I daresay not the the extent of the hardcore fanbase here. Still, I would like to know why you lot have been so pessimistic about it. After all, to be honest, I've been hearing a lot of bad press about you guys from other forums, and I really hope I didnt just create an account into another forum full of trolls, haters, and people who just won't be reasoned with. That's the main reason why I would like to know people's intelligent opinions on why F3 would... suck.
If you wanted to know this, why did you not read the 300 threads where people like you ask the exact same question over and over again?

Coreresion said:
But if it turns out surprisingly good, then I won't hold anything against Beth.
If it turns out to be a good Fallout against the odds, then I'll be a very happy man and praise Bethesda.
Not that likely, though.

Coreresion said:
What really irks me is that we arent in possession of a lot of facts pertaining to the game itself, on whether it'll be good or crappy.
We're in possession of a lot of facts about the game. We've seen gameplay footage. We've read tons and tons of interviews with the developers. We've heard their views on this game and the previous games.

None of this strikes 'us'(if there is such a thing) as positive. So how could we possibly not be negative about something we've seen only negative things of?

Coreresion said:
Another thing I want to query, is why everyone (generalising there again *slaps self*) demands that Fallout 3 be... well a Fallout game. Okay. I sounded really stupid there. But the question still stands. This is the way I see it : If devs don't go for something new, the mainstream will blast them. If devs don't follow the classics, the cults will blast them. If devs go in the middle, the cults will blast them and the mainstream will still love them. Honestly, how many reviews have you seen with reviewers talking about it "being a good game, except many elements are recycled". I understand the acute feeling of loss over the classic elements of Fallout, but face it. The mainstream have the say. The mainstream have the money. And the mainstream are demanding more games like COD4 or Halo. Which are not ... I repeat... Are unenjoyable. I quite enjoyed COD4 for example. But I stray from my point. What I'm trying to say is the that the bane of being part of a long-established hardcore fan base is that you're a minority. Heck, I think the devs of Bethesda understand the plight you lot feel now. But they have jobs. Of which they do not want to be fired from for not making a game that caters to the masses.
All you're doing is here is defending why Bethesda made a good business choice (which isn't even necessarily true, since they're now competing with every other game out there, instead of the few that are aimed at 'our' niche but paid $1 million extra for the name that they're effectively not using), not why we should like the game.
Sure, whatever, Bethesda made a good business choice. That doesn't make me like the game.

I won't troll this one out, but I'm fully behind Sander and Black, both of whom state some fine points (and in a rather humorous, yet assertive way) quite frankly without sounding like a broken record, FO:3 just doesn't give a good section of the previous audience what it would like; more RPG less 'immersive shooter' (even my GF who is an old fan of the 'golden dragon' series of books has agreed that some things are just good for what they are)

Realism is ok, but I live there. I'd like to go back to Fallout-land ... where I have to read the bottom left screen to find out that it's a slightly overcast day with a muggy heat... or that I've just died of Rad poisoning, for the fifth time.

Back