Fallout 4 Should Be Made By Obsidian

X12

It Wandered In From the Wastes
New Vegas, in gameplay and story terms, was better than 3, and was a true sequel to the first 2 games. With an improving on story, dialogue, combat and VATS, as well as using Skyrim graphics and ACTUALLY GIVING OBSIDIAN MORE THAN 13 *BLEEP*ING MONTHS TO MAKE IT, it could be a great game. No, it wont go back to iso-turn-based, the "golden days" are over. All we can do is make sure Fallout 4 becomes a deep, involving, immersive FPS-RPG, that which Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas should have been. Also this way Bethesda can focus on stuff like the Elder Scrolls. Skyrim was a damn good game and ESO looks freaking awesome, so Bethesda can make good games...just not good Fallout games.

Akratus said:
Yep, but too bad the universe isn't very fair.

Skyrim was a damn good game and ESO looks freaking awesome

Hahaha, yeah no.

I hope you arent implying your opinion is fact (im not implying mine is), people around here seem to have the mentality that if I like a game they dont like, Im a bad gamer. I enjoy the first two Fallouts, 2 more than 1 simply because 2 doesnt force you to rush.

ESO... is bad for many reasons. Like rewriting the lore at whim, or the awful combat, or the typical WoW-styled quest hub system. It just don't look unique, and it don't look like TES so much as just generic fantasy. And in case you didn't know: TES is the furthest from generic fantasy you can get.

That being said: Skyrim? damn good? I enjoyed it but it was a piss-poor RPG that gutted the character creation and removed skills, attributes, racial bonuses... very much nerfed.

Wumbology said:
That being said: Skyrim? damn good? I enjoyed it but it was a piss-poor RPG that gutted the character creation and removed skills, attributes, racial bonuses... very much nerfed.

I actually think it gave us more freedom. With the right perks any character build can become a "force to be reckoned with". All in all this is just my opinion. I think its damn good.

The other game forced you to use a class that made sense with your race. In skyrim you can be a wood elf who wields a war hammer and does great with it. It does make the race choosing system a bit redundant if you ask me. Not a bad game, but i still prefer Morrowind or Oblivion over Skyrim.

X12 said:
Akratus said:

Hahaha, yeah no.

I hope you arent implying your opinion is fact (im not implying mine is), people around here seem to have the mentality that if I like a game they dont like, Im a bad gamer. I enjoy the first two Fallouts, 2 more than 1 simply because 2 doesnt force you to rush.

Every single thing I say is opinion. Why would you think I imply it is fact when I don't say that? How can anyone think that? You CAN'T say that disagreeing with an opinion invalidates it, even if you state that it is fact because it is subjective. if we were talking about technical things you might have had a point.

Akratus said:

Hahaha, yeah no.

Skyrim is a good game that could have been much better.

And yet again.. Thank god for all the mods! :twisted:

Wumbology said:

Agreed with pretty much everything but the racial bonuses. Since i'm not really a fan of TES i only tried Oblivion at a friends house and i think i did like <5 hours on morrowind i'm not sure how much they got nerfed. If anything at all.

Akratus said:
X12 said:
Akratus said:

Hahaha, yeah no.

Every single thing I say is opinion. Why would you think I imply it is fact when I don't say that? How can anyone think that? You CAN'T say that disagreeing with an opinion invalidates it, even if you state that it is fact because it is subjective. if we were talking about technical things you might have had a point.

I never said YOU were. It just seems this whole forum is under the opinion if you even think Fallout 3 is a good, enjoyable for what it is game, you are a bad gamer. Or that you automatically dont like immersive story. I love Fallout 1 and 2s story and like the gameplay, and I like Fallout 3 and New Vegas story and love the gameplay. Doesnt mean everyone else will. I like freedom, and a FPS-RPG restricts freedom alot less than a turn based RPG. Does it make TB-RPGs bad? HELL NO! Just not my style. The revolution from TB-RPG to FPS-RPG isnt bad inherently, it was just bad the way it was done with Fallout 3 and lesser so Fallout New Vegas. I have faith Fallout 4 will be a great game.

AtomBomb said:
The other game forced you to use a class that made sense with your race. In skyrim you can be a wood elf who wields a war hammer and does great with it. It does make the race choosing system a bit redundant if you ask me. Not a bad game, but i still prefer Morrowind or Oblivion over Skyrim.

I actually like the freedom of Skyrim. And there are actually reasons to pick certain species. For example, for my Vampire Lord play through i choose Dark Elf because their fire resistance really helps counteract the fire weakness of vampires. Skyrim shows that no matter what the species any species can do almost anything another species can, just some are less likely (Nord Wizards, for example, or Altmer Heavy Armored Great Sword Wielding Warriors) and had you have a slight disadvantage at the beginning.

Skyrim has so much freedom that with the non fetch quests if you don't follow the quest step by step and try to be clever and find alternate ways the quests break completely.

Being able to become a force of nature no matter what you start out with is not Freedom, is just a lack of comitment in terms of mechanic.

Walpknut said:
Being able to become a force of nature no matter what you start out with is not Freedom, is just a lack of comitment in terms of mechanic.
Ugh. Mmm. Reading that just makes me feel good, inside. It's like hard knocks in a bottle. If only such a thing actually existed, so little comments that pack a huge punch like this could just be "delivered" to wherever they were required to smack some sense into things like sloppy game development. Mmmm. Really nice.

Walpknut said:

This, god dammit a thousand times this.

Also, the option to become the leader of the werewolves AND the unrecognized savior of the world AND the archmage AND hero of the rebellion / empire AND a master assassin AND a master thief AND king of the vampires AND thane of every single territory no matter who you start as is just terrible game design.
I mean, how much of a Mary Sue can the Dragonborn be?!

tumblr_lly377nsS21qbyu67o1_500.png

I think lots of people can't sense the trap of freedom.
Thinking about typical JRPG like FF5(in japanese numbering).
lots of people think there aren't any freedom compare with GTA or TES. but actually those 3 game has same degree of freedom.
you can move freely and kill enemy freely. you can't kill NPC in FF5 but both TES and GTA also can't kill lots of NPC for various reason. so actually there aren't any freedom at all. maybe Morrowind and Daggerfall has some freedom of plot, other TES don't have any freedom of plot.

for GTA, you can't go other place unless you solve some missions. FF5 is same with GTA you should follow the story to get freedom of moving.

for TES it's freedom is fake.
actually for Morrowind in some aspect, it's true.
for example, you can beat the game properly even you kill the Vivec and game says "oh well well well... you kill him? then you are doomed so reload your game" and other example would be fighter's guild and thieves' guild.
anyway but other TES? there aren't any freedom. actually they didn't make one game but game constructed with small games. Main quest and other minor faction quests are actually independent games. and for each small pieces of games are linear, no freedom at all.

Walpknut said:
Skyrim has so much freedom that with the non fetch quests if you don't follow the quest step by step and try to be clever and find alternate ways the quests break completely.

But that's TES. You can become a god, or you can gimp yourself and I prefer it that way. I've had characters that I gimp, never putting anything into HP and only filling out 2 or 3 perk trees, god characters, characters in between, and characters that I start out gimped and then expand as I roleplay. I really like that you can do that.

Skyrim is a flawed game, but I think if the crowd that wants it to be balanced were to get everything they want, it wouldn't be TES anymore.

X12 said:
New Vegas, in gameplay and story terms, was better than 3, and was a true sequel to the first 2 games. With an improving on story, dialogue, combat and VATS, as well as using Skyrim graphics and ACTUALLY GIVING OBSIDIAN MORE THAN 13 *BLEEP*ING MONTHS TO MAKE IT, it could be a great game. No, it wont go back to iso-turn-based, the "golden days" are over. All we can do is make sure Fallout 4 becomes a deep, involving, immersive FPS-RPG, that which Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas should have been. Also this way Bethesda can focus on stuff like the Elder Scrolls. Skyrim was a damn good game and ESO looks freaking awesome, so Bethesda can make good games...just not good Fallout games.
It also was far less successful. To be honest, I find that the sentiment that Beth don't know how to make a good ol' RPG, should be insulting to your intelligence. Beth know what it is doing and it make exactly the game the were planning.

If you expect FO4 to be widely different, you are bound to be disappointed, though Obsidian FO:NV success suggest that similar title for FO4 is possible and I am hopeful.

Glad to know that I am not the only who feels that Obsidian should just continue to make Fallout.

Back