Fallout 76 announced!

Hassknecht

For hate's sake.
Staff member
Admin
Board Cop oTO
Orderite
After about 24 h of a teasing live stream, Bethesda announced a new Fallout game, much to the surprise of quite a lot of people: Fallout 76.
They posted a teaser trailer, too:

In it we hear the classic "Take me home, country roads" while the familiar zoom-out sequence happens. The trailer shows the inside of a vault, number 76 as we learn, on what is called "Reclamation Day" (or after it), and shows a vault dweller putting on a Pipboy that looks a bit more classic than what we are used to from Fallout 4. The trailer uses a lot of assets from Fallout 4 and given the short development time it is reasonable to assume that the final game will as well.
That's all that is known from the game apart from rumours that it will focus on settlement or building mechanics and that it might be a multiplayer game (not an MMO, though).
We shall see on 10th or 11th of June at Bethesda's panels at E3.
The trailer has also been posted on www.fallout.com

It looks a lot more like classic Fallout than Fallout 4, with the 70's theme

I actually like the idea of a 70's themed Fallout game because the whole 50's theme is really overdone. If they could get some decent writers like Chris Avellone on it, it could be a decent Fallout.

Is Bethesda capable of making a decent Fallout if they really try at it? So what is this aiming to do actually?

given the short development time and the overall look, it will be built on the same engine with roughly the same assets, just like the new vegas case. so it will probably be something in the fashion of fallout 4 and i've heard that obsidian has confirmed that they have nothing to do with it, so meh. nothing to see here

Do you think this is what Chris was talking about with this?

CgyQ8wFL7j6Jdw5N5T9cbD-650-80.jpg

It looks a lot more like classic Fallout than Fallout 4, with the 70's theme

I actually like the idea of a 70's themed Fallout game because the whole 50's theme is really overdone. If they could get some decent writers like Chris Avellone on it, it could be a decent Fallout.

Is Bethesda capable of making a decent Fallout if they really try at it? So what is this aiming to do actually?
I don't think it's 70's themed man. Firstly, that wouldn't make much sense. Second, it's vault 76.

The song felt appropriate enough at least. So they spun off from Fallout 4 while developing it when they saw how compelling (notrly) the settlement shit could be with coop.

---

Files on Bethesda’s press site appear to refer to the game by the codename “Mountain,” which could also be a hint that the game will take place in or near the Appalachian Mountains.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a rust clone with a Fallout skin. 4chan leaked the name and the core gameplay around December 2017. Jason Schrier on Kotaku has confirmed that people will be disappointed if they expect a game with a single-player focus.

So, an online focused Rust clone with story and quests? My excitement is a nice 1 outta 10. Also developed by Bethsoft Austin. Gonna have to see more, but I'm utterly uninterested.

I'm not falling for this hype trap again. I wish the series would just die off so Bethesda couldn't beat every last penny out of its dead corpse.
Coming from a F3 fanboy them be harsh words. :wiggle:

Wait, no more Elder Scrolls because ESO is sucessful? Good, that means no more terrible Elder Scrolls games.

A good thing about setting this game so early in the timeline is that it might not be canon or it might be partially canon, and there's not much opportunity for significant lore that has implications down the line, because what civilization that exists at this time outside of the vaults consists of nomads and isolated groups with pretty much no working infrastructure, so whether the game has any damaging or questionable decisions regarding the Fallout universe shouldn't be too much of a concern this time, so there's that if there's nothing about this to look forward to.

With Fallout 4, the settlements felt like a novelty that was tacked on to a sub-par main story. While the plot was hit-and-miss, the looting-to-settling mechanics weren't too bad (barring the usual Bethesda jank). For this new game, it would be cool for the motivation of the main quest to focus on reclaiming the wasteland using these settlements, rather than having the fake urgency of finding your son push the player.

Maybe a full game focusing on just these looting/settling elements will be fun for a few dozen hours. It'll be a huge downer for those of us who want decent writing, plot-pacing, reactive worlds and themes that Obsidian/Black-Isle Fallouts are known for, but it won't be any worse than what Fallout 4 tried to do. Hopefully it isn't going to be as lazy as "Fallout 5: Minutemen Radiant Quests".

Back