Fallout:Desert Rangers

overseeer106

First time out of the vault
it may sound dumb but give it shot

Story

it's a few months before the great war you are a marine being shipped to the Yangtze Campaign or Shanghai,China.ounce you get there you have to see the arms dealer where you choose your loadout you then move in to Shanghai where you will get the mission breifing from Staff Sgt.R.B Vickers ten you will go into Shanghai elimating all chinese soilders.then a few years later the great war started and ended you will be at your house in Salt Lake City with your loadout and your suit of Desert Ranger armor after you met with rements of the U.S army you then have to deal with the tribals and create the Desert Rangers

Loadouts

Mid Range:R91 Assualt Rifle,10mm pistol,combat knife

Close Range:Combat Shotgun,8 Frags,combat knife

Long Range:Sniper Rifle,Sawed off shotgun,3 frags

Energy Weapons:Wattz 2000 laser rifle,combat knife

Locations

Salt Lake City

Great Salt Lake

Zion Canyon

Various Settlements

Factions

Desert Rangers-rements of US Marines main Facton of the game

White Legs-tribals that salvage to live

Dead Horses-tribals that hunt to live and they never go in pre war buildings

Sorrows-a peaceful tribe that hunt,cook to live do not have warriors

the 80's-tribals and raiders that raid settlements and kidnap people

so what do you think?

Heh, thought exactly the same. It's nothing for an rpg.

Honestly a Fallout game about the Desert Rangers would be great, but you forgot a lot of things.
A. The 80's operate on Highway 80 that runs through Sacramento and Reno, and they probably didn't spring up until after 2241 or else they would have been in Fallout 2. The same could probably be said about the White legs.
B. You failed to include the Mormons, who built New Jerusalem in the ashes of Salt Lake City. If you're going to start immediately after the war, you have to mention that.
C. I feel like mentioning that he is a Marine and having him fight in the Yangtze campaign is pointless. I would imagine he would have to be around 30 by the time of the Great War, and you can't just get up and walk around immediately after that, you need to stay in a shelter. The Vaults in Salt Lake City are owned by the Mormon church, and I'm not sure that making the player character linked to a particular denomination is such a good idea.
D. Starting the game by stating that the player character is founding his own faction is just a bad idea. Making the player character limited to only one faction is page one of what NOT to do in a Fallout game. Bethesda would be smart not to repeat that =P

I feel like it would be rude to add insult to injury, but really you can't write a sequel to the Fallout franchise just by picking out the things you liked about Honest Hearts. It was a great DLC, don't get me wrong, but the Desert Rangers goes farther than that with the Ranger Treaty bringing the NCR into the Mojave, all the way back to the first mentioning of the Desert Rangers in Fallout 1. You could even go further to Fallout's inspiration, Wasteland which was about Desert Rangers.
It was a good idea, just badly executed. As I've been racking my brain for a good Fallout sequel, the first good idea that came to mind was about the Desert Rangers. If you put more thought into this, maybe Obsidian, or inXile, or Bethersda will hear you, and you're idea will make a difference. So, don't let this criticism, albeit pretty harsh, make you quit.

Ryanbeolve said:
Making the player character limited to only one faction is page one of what NOT to do in a Fallout game. Bethesda would be smart not to repeat that =P

Sometimes I wonder whether Bethesda just wanted to make a Call of Duty clone.

Why would the Sorrows and the the other Tribes already exist just after the war ended? Randall helped the kids that would become the Sorrows when he was already old. VERY old.

Knight Captain Kerr said:
I like the idea of a Fallout prequel set not long after the war about the Desert Rangers. But not like this.

Totally agree. Especially with all the hype about Wasteland 2, a game centered on the Desert Rangers would do well.

Back