"Fallout" developed by CD Projekt Red?

I think they'd handle it exceedingly well. CD Projekt are masters of shades of grey, which is very Fallout. I'd wager they'd write a tighter, deeper, more logical and more coherent story than anything Bethesda has ever produced. The one reservation I have is that CDPR have as far as I know never made a shooter, so if you want them to use their own engine (and not the creation engine) they'd have to spend a fair bit of time getting all the weaponry and gunplay right. I suspect CDPR are in fact working on this right now with Cyberpunk in mind. If they nail what they are doing with Cyberpunk CDPR might very well be THE studio to make a proper Fallout game down the road.

But Obsidian is great as well of course, and they could do so much more with the Fallout universe if they were given more time and resources. I mean Fallout: NV was developed in 18 months and beats any Fallout game made by Bethesda. For me it's not even close how much better Fallout: NV is. Imagine if Obsidian had 4-5 years instead which is a more normal AAA development time and about what Bethesda took to make Fallout 4.

Right now though Obsidian is doing quite well with Pillars of Eternity + Expansions and CDPR is doing very well with Witcher 3 + Expansions. So I guess the Fallout franchise will be stuck in Bethesda hell for quite some time. I suppose it's not beyond them to actually make a good fallout game but as long as Todd + Emil are running the show the chances are pretty darn effing slim.

I think a Fallout game in third person like the Witcher could be great if they did it. The Witcher game style in the Fallout world? Yea I'd play that game. That sounds like a great spin off.

The only potential issue for me is that CD Projekt had a lot of books to work with when coming up with the Witcher game stories. Games based on books often have better stories because they have so much lore to fall back on. So I'm interested to see how Cyberpunk 2077 turns out since they don't have that huge amount of lore and story to draw from.

And I'm pretty sure about one thing: If CD Projekt Red made the game, all those Workshop DLCs would be free.

I think a Fallout game in third person like the Witcher could be Geralt if they did it
fixed FTGJ

The Witcher 3 roleplaying aspect is strict to dialogs and RP System is simply nonexistent, only ability and leveling. They might write a proper script for a Fallout but I'm worry about SPECIAL for CDPR has the ability to make it even worse. And gameplay. Until Cyberpunk 2077 release, there's concern about actual gameplay. And grey-shading skill means jack shit if they cannot write proper sci-fi and post-whatever which we don't know for sure.
Post-apocalyptic 'Yor mumma sucks off dwarves' won't be Fallout, that's we know for sure so far.

Last edited:
fixed FTGJ

The Witcher 3 roleplaying aspect is strict to dialogs and RP System is simply nonexistent, only ability and leveling. They might write a proper script for a Fallout but I'm worry about SPECIAL for CDPR has the ability to make it even worse. And gameplay. Until Cyberpunk 2077 release, there's concern about actual gameplay. And grey-shading skill means jack shit if they cannot write proper sci-fi and post-whatever which we don't know for sure.
Post-apocalyptic 'Yor mumma sucks off dwarves' won't be Fallout, that's we know for sure so far.
agree, the actual "gray" choice in the games is not deducted so that you can roleplay. its made for what the best option that you can choose.

fixed FTGJ

agree, the actual "gray" choice in the games is not deducted so that you can roleplay. its made for what the best option that you can choose.
Well you have to remember I'm comparing it to Fallout 4. Compared to that, Witcher dialogue is masterpiece.

It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be an interesting spin off game. And it would almost certainly have better writing.

And it would almost certainly have better writing.
No shit it'll have. But the №0 issue with bethesda products is that their games are not Fallout. Not sure about everyone else but I don't want another Not-Fallout no matter how great the story is and how many Hugo awards it can earn. In fact, for a team like CDPR it's simply waste of talant even if we close eyes on how bethesda treats third party devs when it comes to their property even if they bought it elsewhere. (Obsidian case)

The only potential issue for me is that CD Projekt had a lot of books to work with when coming up with the Witcher game stories. Games based on books often have better stories because they have so much lore to fall back on. So I'm interested to see how Cyberpunk 2077 turns out since they don't have that huge amount of lore and story to draw from.

That's exactly how I feel as well. I absolutely love what CDPR has been able to do with the source material from the books, and there is no question that CDPR are huge witcher fans. But for the Cyberpunk universe they will have to invent a lot more of the story and material themselves, and draw inspiration from a vast array of sources. I know that CDPR has some VERY competent writers, but it's still a big challenge compared to the witcher series.

well thats simple, cyberpunk were already exist as a tabletop rpg. so there must be already tons of background lore more than witcher novel itself. though, there is a..problematic part in certain cyberpunk edition based on what i gather. enough to warrant genre change.

Last edited:
Given the amount of love and respect they have shown for Sapkowski's novels. If they applied the same level commitment to embracing the original Fallout games, I think we would have a fantastic game on our hands. It would also give them the ability to embrace an actual role playing system, but CDPR has no real reason to get in bed with Bethesda so it's a pipe dream.

Last edited:
I'm not too sure about CD Projekt Red making something that's set in the U.S, and has tons of lore to keep up with.

I think they're better at making entirely new concepts and just rolling with it. Plus, I don't know about Europeans making satire of American culture.

Edit:

and Bethesda would flip.

How do you think the game would play ( mechanically speaking and story-wise)?

I'd expect solid (though also rather linear) storytelling with a very cinematic feel to it and some bits of C&C here and there, but also relatively boring and repetitive action shooter gameplay with rather weak character systems (as is the custom with CDPR).

I'd expect solid (though also rather linear) storytelling with a very cinematic feel to it and some bits of C&C here and there, but also relatively boring and repetitive action shooter gameplay with rather weak character systems (as is the custom with CDPR).

Yeah, that's pretty spot on to what I feel too.

I'm not too sure about CD Projekt Red making something that's set in the U.S, and has tons of lore to keep up with.

I think they're better at making entirely new concepts and just rolling with it. Plus, I don't know about Europeans making satire of American culture.

Edit:

and Bethesda would flip.

I don't see how The Witcher is a new concept considering there are seven novels that precede the games. Also the Witcher has a hell of of lot more going on with its lore than Fallout. I think they can manage.

That's exactly how I feel as well. I absolutely love what CDPR has been able to do with the source material from the books, and there is no question that CDPR are huge witcher fans. But for the Cyberpunk universe they will have to invent a lot more of the story and material themselves, and draw inspiration from a vast array of sources. I know that CDPR has some VERY competent writers, but it's still a big challenge compared to the witcher series.
Well CDPR is working closely with Mike Pondsmith, the creator of Cyberpunk. So they might have let him do all the lore for them. I know I would. >_>

That is a rather intriguing idea. Looking at the Witcher series, CDPR knows how to improve a game if the previous iteration had problems (I acknowledge that they do have lapses of judgement like cutting off story branches though this issue is understandable IMHO). Seeing how things changed from Witcher 1 to 2 and then 3 is rather interesting as many of the issues that bugged me in the first few games were eventually ironed out or polished to a point where they were no longer issues. On that front, CDPR may make a good Fallout game in terms of game-play though the RPG mechanics may not be as good (if judging from Witcher 3 on its own). It may be similar to the 3D Fallouts but there will be effort in fixing the games with each iteration.

In terms of writing, I'm not too sure when it comes to making characters since the only games they have made already have established characters with their characteristics already laid out via the books and short stories. They do know how to make decent story-lines though as evidenced through some of the quests in Witcher 3 and the Hearts of Stone DLC.

Overall, if CDPR was making Fallout with the same care and attention they give to the Witcher series, their Fallout games may be good or at least show signs of improvement in each iteration (plus they probably would not screw over Obsidian when the time comes for an Obsidian made spin-off and the Metacritic rating did not meet the targeted score). It would definitely be a lot better than Bethesda's Fallouts (though that's not saying much).

Last edited:
Well CDPR is working closely with Mike Pondsmith, the creator of Cyberpunk. So they might have let him do all the lore for them. I know I would. >_>

With all due respect to M. Pondsmith but he's 62 years old and seems pretty much semi-retired by now, the work he's most famous for he did in his 30's. And he hasn't been very active the last decade or so. Not saying he doesn't "get" the universe he helped create but we don't want him to pull a George Lucas on us either. From what I understand M. Pondsmith is working part-time from the US and providing feedback while the writers in Poland are providing the majority of the heavy lifting. Seems like a pretty good setup and I would probably keep it like that.

If anyone's interested, here's the interview with Marcin Iwinski, the head honcho of CD Projekt. Around 35 minutes mark he says that Fallout 1 & 2 are his favorite games and he plays them all the time, and he recently started another playthrough of Fallout 1 instead of playing Fallout 4. So yeah, they know and love Fallout. Sadly, Fallout belongs to those who neither know or love it.

Last edited:
Back