Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - next release will be some time in Jan 2020

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Modder
TO REPORT BUGS CLICK HERE

A test version is available while I work on the next official release:

http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-fixt-0-81alpha-july-5th-2015.194562/page-188#post-4307860

PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT install Restoration Mod or Update Mod on top of Fixt under any circumstances. Fixt already includes them. It will cause issues.

Fallout Fixt exists to enhance, expand and improve upon the Fallout 1 experience. This includes fixing bugs, restoring features, modifying balance, adding new features, and many fixes to text/dialog. In addition to that, all other available mods and patches are rolled into Fixt (see below). As of the most recent version, this mod fixes roughly 150 bugs still present in the unofficial patches, and adds roughly 170 features. In addition, there are hundreds if not thousands of text&dialog fixes.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fixt said:
Fixt:
To fix a phrase or sentence so that it is more truthful, commonly used in gaming forums.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fixt said:
verb
a simple past tense and past participle of fix.

Current Version: 0.81alpha (July 5, 2015)

Comprehensive Changelog: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hi3atfw2cm4cja/Fallout_Fixt_changelog.txt?dl=1
Incremental Changelogs: https://github.com/Sduibek/fixtlang/tree/master/ENGLISH_FIXT/Incremental changelogs

NOTE: Download Size and Installed Size may vary depending on your system!
Windows calculates sizes differently than MacOS/Linux.

FIXES ONLY: 90 MB to download, up to 150 MB installed (if all options selected)
The "patch". Some new content available. Good for purists. Available installation types: Fixes Only [Purist], Custom [Mostly Purist].
(Mirror 1, GitHub) https://github.com/Sduibek/fixtsrc/releases/download/0.81alpha/Fallout_Fixt_0.81alpha_FIXES_ONLY.exe
(Mirror 2, Mod DB) http://www.moddb.com/downloads/start/85967

or

FULL CUSTOM: 200 MB to download, up to 540 MB installed (if all options selected)
The full mod. All content is available. Available installation types: Fixes Only [Purist], Standard [Half-Purist], Full [Purists Not Allowed], Custom [Everything customizable].
(Mirror 1, GitHub) https://github.com/Sduibek/fixtsrc/...1alpha/Fallout_Fixt_0.81alpha_FULL_CUSTOM.exe
(Mirror 2, Mod DB) http://www.moddb.com/downloads/start/85968

or

GERMAN UNCUT: 280 MB to download, up to 700 MB installed (if all options selected)
The same as "Full Custom", but for those with German version. Restores censored cutscenes, all death animations, and removed sound effects.
Available installation types: Fixes Only [Purist], Standard [Half-Purist], Full [Purists Not Allowed], Custom [Everything customizable].
(Mirror 1, GitHub) https://github.com/Sduibek/fixtsrc/...alpha/Fallout_Fixt_0.81alpha_GERMAN_UNCUT.exe
(Mirror 2, Mod DB) http://www.moddb.com/downloads/start/85969

Please note the German Uncut version does NOT include German language files! Fixt hasn't been translated into German yet by the community. I'd do it myself, but Ich sprechen nur ein bisschen Deutsch, nicht so gut.

VERIFYING THAT FIXT IS INSTALLED PROPERLY:
- Click "CREDITS" on main menu will begin with Fallout Fixt credits, and displays current version.
- Version is also displayed in text at bottom of main menu. (May be hard to see at higher resolutions)

Graphics are set to 800x600 @ 16bit with the included settings files, although you can change this of course, by editing f1_res.ini or running f1_res_Config.exe (should be self-explanatory once you open the files for editing)

Ghouly89 said:
You did this all by yourself? Or is this mod a compilation of a bunch of fixes?
Both.
I used the newest available as base for each file (scripts, dialog etc). I first extracted/installed patches 1.1, 1.2, 1.2.1, and 1.3.5 in that order. So if TeamX updated a file in 1.3.5, that's the version I started with, whereas if it hasn't been changed since 1.2 official patch that's the version I started with, and so on. I then copied over the rest of the files (scripts, dialogs, maps etc) from the main data file (master.dat) that hadn't been changed by previous patches/mods/updates.
From there it's just a matter of merging any additional patches, changes and fixes into the dialog and script files, and then doing my own fixes/changes/updates to everything.

These are all included with my mod; do NOT download or install them:

FULLY INTEGRATED PATCHES:
- Official Interplay patches (1.1, 1.2)
- TeamX patches (1.2, 1.21, 1.3.5)
- No Children Fix
- Cathedral Crash Fix (and other fixes by Sduibek for the Cathedral, Military Base and The Glow crashes)
- Nimrod's Dialog Fixes
- FreeSpace variable is set to 0 by default, so you won't have to worry about that crash either.

FULLY INTEGRATED MODS:
- Fallout 1 Restoration Mod, version 1.0b1 [Created by Wasteland Ghost. Portions by Mynah, hamster, Wasteland Hellbringer.]
--- Invasions are now entirely optional (including Necropolis), and invasion dates can be customized, anywhere from instant to 4x their default values.
--- Deathclaw status is no longer linked, i.e. killing it on the world map or in the cave does not prevent it from appearing at the other.
- Extended Flamer Attack Mod [Created by .Pixote.]
- Endgame Mod [Created by Corpse]
- TeamX NPCs 3.5
- Sfall ddraw 1.19 (Timeslip & sfall team, + many improvements by Crafty)
- hi-res patch [Created by Mash]

OPTIONAL MODS:
- Weapon Drop Mod [Created by Josan12 and MIB88]
--- Customizable distance values.
- "Nixie Numbers" for GUI

INCLUDED UTILITIES:
- Two tools that can be run before running FalloutW.exe (not made by me) are included in the [Fallout]\Scrambled Colors Fixes folder, to help with those experiencing color palette issues.

MISC:
- Fallout 1 official manual (PDF format, version you can get from GOG.com)

Just for the sake of reference, here's the stats your NPCs get on levelup (I haven't changed these from TeamX NPC Mod, these are the figures from TeamX/WastelandGhost):

Format is [increase at reaching level 2, increase at reaching level 3]
Ian: HP +15, +10; Small Guns +20, +15; Unarmed +10, +8; Melee +5, +4
Tycho: HP +15, +10; Small Guns +20, +15; Unarmed +10, +8; Melee +5, +4
Katja: HP +10, +5; Small Guns +5, +4; Unarmed +5, +4; Melee +10, +8; Throwing +20, +15; Lockpick +20, +15
TO REPORT BUGS CLICK HERE

Last edited:
a good thing to do (AND HARD AS HELL I RECOGNIZE) is merge all the official/unofficial patches with fixes (including yours) into a single file to make the installation easier (something i believe i suggested to wasteland ghost and got no answer) also, it's lacking the VERY MUCH NEEDED cathedral's fix, without it a lot of p p l wont be able to go up from the 3rd level. ;)

I'm working on 'Black Boxing" the Fallout 1 maps...that way the maps wont have any of the broken edges that are visible with the high resolution patch. This will obviously take time - so which of the maps versions should I work with. There will be some added proto-types to build to ensure this will work correctly, but with Cubik's map converter everything should be fine.

@Sduibek - good work man. :wink:

Felipefpl said:
a good thing to do (AND HARD AS HELL I RECOGNIZE) is merge all the official/unofficial patches with fixes (including yours) into a single file to make the installation easier (something i believe i suggested to wasteland ghost and got no answer) also, it's lacking the VERY MUCH NEEDED cathedral's fix, without it a lot of p p l wont be able to go up from the 3rd level. ;)
I'll see what I can do, I think Nullsoft's installer is free isn't it? I'll see if there's an "easy"(er) way to set it up like you say. I agree that that would be pretty awesome :)

.Pixote. said:
I'm working on 'Black Boxing" the Fallout 1 maps...that way the maps wont have any of the broken edges that are visible with the high resolution patch. This will obviously take time - so which of the maps versions should I work with. There will be some added proto-types to build to ensure this will work correctly, but with Cubik's map converter everything should be fine.
Personally I enjoy playing it at 640x480 after trying other resolutions, but I'm probably in the minority on that ;)

What is Cubik's map converter?

As far as which maps to use, for now just use the ones from TeamX 1.3.5 -- I haven't mad any map changes yet.

Sduibek said:
What is Cubik's map converter?

As far as which maps to use, for now just use the ones from TeamX 1.3.5 -- I haven't made any map changes yet.

It's a small program that converts Fallout 1 maps edited and built in the Official Fallout 2 mapper, so they run properly in Fallout 1. Normally they don't...I think it adds more digits to the hex numbers, or something to make them compatible. Search the threads for the program.

http://cubik2k.w.interii.pl/pliki/fofo_map_converter_V2.zip

I personally prefer to play the game at the 800x600 resolution setting. I will be using TeamX 1.3.5 maps as the basic maps to work from.

Cool, thanks. I didn't realize he'd actually made a tool to do that hex-editing fix for the ladder coordinates automatically :)

Now if I only I could get the BIS Mapper working on my system. Sigh. Someday i'll figure it out >_<

A commendable project but I find it as confusing as the patches/fixes offers for Fallout 1 are today. When you open the archive there are several read me files in the same directory. It would be best to create a read me file for this project telling specifically what it does and how it should be installed. And yes, Nullsoft installer is free and would be much needed in order to make all this more user-friendly and avoid unnecessary duplications.

Salk said:
A commendable project but I find it as confusing as the patches/fixes offers for Fallout 1 are today.
Could you elaborate on this?

Thank you for the feedback :clap:

Sduibek said:
Salk said:
A commendable project but I find it as confusing as the patches/fixes offers for Fallout 1 are today.
Could you elaborate on this?

EDIT: I haven't had access to my home computer in a while, but hopefully within the next week I will be uploading a version that is more streamlined and with a Install/Readme doc.

Thank you for the feedback :clap:

What I mean is that this archive comes as a disjointed collection of existing patches without (like you yourself are saying) its own Install/Read me documentation. How does this differentiate and improve over downloading the single files?

Ideally it would come with an installer (and an uninstaller), giving chance to select what components the user wants installed.

But as I said, the project is very commendable and I do believe it's well worth our interest. Especially if you will be able to deliver and add your own fixes.

EDIT: I'll see what I can do, I think Nullsoft's installer is free isn't it? I'll see if there's an "easy"(er) way to set it up like you say. I agree that that would be pretty awesome :)

err, i believe you misunderstood, i was talking about merging all the fixes in 1 single file, for example: if patch 1.2 has a fix to junktown, 1.3.5 has another and your patch has another one, why not merge them all together into a single file? ;)

i like the idea of nsis too, killap uses it.

Felipefpl said:
err, i believe you misunderstood, i was talking about merging all the fixes in 1 single file, for example: if patch 1.2 has a fix to junktown, 1.3.5 has another and your patch has another one, why not merge them all together into a single file? ;)
This specifically I have already done, sort of -- I have edited/updated/fixed/whatever several hundred scripts for this patch, probably more, and almost every single dialog file in the game.

Just extract and overwrite all files to get "the new stuff". I used the newest files as base (1.3.5 usually, some like you say though are from 1.2 as TeamX might not have modified them, etc etc) and so thus almost every file in my download is "new" or updated from the most recent versions available.

EDIT: As far as incorporating all available fixes, that is exactly what I intend to do. I intend to include fixes provided by TeamX, the Update Mod, and others, as well as my own fixes, the Dialog Fixes from Nimrod (there's like twice as many now, my own and his combined), and also my own fixes from The Ultimate Fallout Guide that haven't been addressed yet.

Sduibek, big thanks for gathering all this stuff in one place, it really saves much time and effort on Fallout installation. I'm now going for a playthrough with TeamX's Restoration on top of FIXT.
There was one thing - I believe you're missing party members' protos in \DATA\PROTO\CRITTERS\ which should be there as a part of TeamX's NPC mod; my game crashed on Ian's first levelup until I copied them manually.

Tungu said:
Sduibek, big thanks for gathering all this stuff in one place, it really saves much time and effort on Fallout installation. I'm now going for a playthrough with TeamX's Restoration on top of FIXT.
There was one thing - I believe you're missing party members' protos in \DATA\PROTO\CRITTERS\ which should be there as a part of TeamX's NPC mod; my game crashed on Ian's first levelup until I copied them manually.
Cool, thanks for the heads up. I know i'm missing some of the files from 1.2/1.3.5/NPC in this file, I haven't had time lately to make sure it's got everything included :(

Not sure if Restoration Mod will work with this... might be a bit buggy but hey if it works, even better :) I was planning on probably including that stuff anyway, although for me personally i'd disable the Invasion stuff by default (with instructions on how to enable of course) since i'm not personally a fan of all the towns going poof. I like to take my time playing the game :)

So far works ok. I'm following Per's guide generally doing everything he described. Done: V13 (including water chip), SS, V15, Raiders, Junktown, Hub, Necropolis, got Katja in party but not much more. Then again, Restoration Project now consists of invasion+caravans+random encounters fixes, so I didn't really get involved with it yet. As for invasion, I added 100 days to every time limit, not sure about the whole idea.
Noted Mrs. Stapleton has no books to sell and badly overprices the rest stuff, but haven't checked it without Restoration.

Wow, I forgot to include ANY files from the Maps folder. That's really embarassing :(

I'll have an updated link within the hour.

Sduibek said:
Wow, I forgot to include ANY files from the Maps folder. That's really embarassing :(

I'll have an updated link within the hour.
Done. Total scripts updated by TeamX and/or myself: 520, dialog files changed/fixed: 383. Also included some art files and other misc files that I hadn't included before (argg)

Tungu, could you please try to purchase from Stapleton again and see if she has any books? Shouldn't need to start a new character, but exit to the worldmap first and then go back to see her, just in case.

EDIT: Updated again. Now two versions are available, only difference is whether NPC change their look when switching armors. (i.e. The alternate version of TeamX's NPC Mod)

EDIT2: Added "installation" instructions to OP above.

She has, but in a new game only - I wasn't able to make her sell books when loading from old save (exiting to world, other maps, resave etc.).

I suppose next is subject to "further fix / improve Stapleton's bartering", but still: when using Steal on her, dialog window pops up to prevent it, but if you exit from dialog by answer 2, you get to the steal interface.

Back